Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

BWFC V Harrogate Town

Ratwhite

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Rudy said:

Didn’t realise how well Isgrove did with his goal

His desire to get the ball back then go on and score typified his improvement since he first came.

As long as your players work their balls off, then as a fan it makes it much easier to watch and appreciate. 

• Members
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

His desire to get the ball back then go on and score typified his improvement since he first came.

As long as your players work their balls off, then as a fan it makes it much easier to watch and appreciate. 

His workrate is exceptional, he’s not the best technician but he always puts a graft in. 
A few weeks ago Evatt signalled to him, get the ball give inside, sprint to the touch line. He listened straight away and it almost paid off. 
He’s grown on me massively 

3 hours ago, Rudy said:

Didn’t realise how well Isgrove did with his goal

He won the ball of their left back who everyone was praising yesterday.

Him on the right, Dapo on the left seems our most balanced set up. 

Lee the miss, MJ and Lego-head in midfield. 

• Members
3 minutes ago, Ani said:

He won the ball of their left back who everyone was praising yesterday.

Him on the right, Dapo on the left seems our most balanced set up. 

Lee the miss, MJ and Lego-head in midfield. 

Messiah Jesus Williams, have some bloody respect 

• Site Supporter
16 hours ago, ianofcleveleys said:

We seemed to kick off with an assumption it was going to be another of those games of patience like Barrow and (to an extent) Colchester, their positive attitude and aggression from the off caught us badly on the hop. Cambridge set the bar for positivity and high tempo from minute 1 but we've been nowhere near that since for some reason, need to start getting out the traps a lot smarter. 

I wonder if, at the time of the Cambridge game, we maybe weren’t expecting anything; after all, we were playing the mighty Cambridge. (I feel sick) It was a game where anything was a bonus rather than an expectation.

Since then we have had that weight of expectation. Clubs don’t go on a 10+ run unbeaten and still expect to lose. Confidence was high. Teams can take the guns-ho approach as Harrogate did yesterday. Other teams have done the opposite and just parked the bus.

The manager is unable to set up a team knowing how others are going to set up. The trick is to hold your hands up and change things early. Yesterday was that day.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

6hr+ commute daily! Can't imagine he did that

Its only 60 miles

Mentioned it before but Adrian Chiles once did a day in the life style interview with Megson when he was at West Brom, up at 5am every day to drive there from Sheffield!

11 minutes ago, Zico said:

Its only 60 miles

Mentioned it before but Adrian Chiles once did a day in the life style interview with Megson when he was at West Brom, up at 5am every day to drive there from Sheffield!

150 each way from Chesterfield to Barrow

Just seen this on twitter, Marcus Maddison gets past players way more than others? I must be blind.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't think of any time he beat his man yesterday (or any game) unless you count rolling around on the floor. Winning free kicks would be good, I guess, if we actually used them to put the ball in the box but 9/10 times we'll play it short.

Few people agreeing he's been scapegoated or that Bolton fans love an "easy target". Other than a couple of long shots and a decent cross I can't think of much that he's contributed to the team. Am I being harsh? Think most people are in agreement that MM has been poor but there's a few that seem to see the game entirely differently.

Makes 0 sense to me. 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Just seen this on twitter, Marcus Maddison gets past players way more than others? I must be blind.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't think of any time he beat his man yesterday (or any game) unless you count rolling around on the floor. Winning free kicks would be good, I guess, if we actually used them to put the ball in the box but 9/10 times we'll play it short.

Few people agreeing he's been scapegoated or that Bolton fans love an "easy target". Other than a couple of long shots and a decent cross I can't think of much that he's contributed to the team. Am I being harsh? Think most people are in agreement that MM has been poor but there's a few that seem to see the game entirely differently.

Makes 0 sense to me. 🤷‍♂️

0-1 with him and looked shit

2-0 without him and looked on top

I know there is more to it but looked a better balanced team once he went off. Has Evatt said if sub was tactical or an injury ? 

1 minute ago, Ani said:

I know there is more to it but looked a better balanced team once he went off. Has Evatt said if sub was tactical or an injury ? 

He admitted post match he got the team selection wrong because he assumed that Harrogate would play park the bus. (Not his words but was implied)

But they actually pressed us and played on the front foot so he took an attacking player off for Thomason's midfield presence. Worked a charm.

• Members
17 minutes ago, Ani said:

We looked like we had 10 men in the first half

He spent more time rolling about on the floor 

27 minutes ago, Mantra said:

He admitted post match he got the team selection wrong because he assumed that Harrogate would play park the bus. (Not his words but was implied)

But they actually pressed us and played on the front foot so he took an attacking player off for Thomason's midfield presence. Worked a charm.

He admitted he got the team wrong and he said it was changed at half-time to put it right.
He also said that he expected them to come out quickly at us, that doesn't imply parking the bus. 

Edited by Traf

To be fair he was clobbered about 3 times but did make most of it rolling about especially 3rd one when he was clutching his head (or maybe headband) for some reason.

When all said and done IE took a risk and started him and it didnt work out. Im not sure we can blame systems or playing styles either.  Whatever style we are playing you need to be able to get past opponent's and pass the ball to a team mate. Which he failed to do time and again and absolutely no sign of his prowess in dead ball situations . 

Not about scapegoating or picking on him he was a liability and has been every time he has played. We have 6 games left and cant afford to take risks with him especially now we dont have to with Gorgeous George.  I hope it works out with Madison i really do but i think it will be with another club if at all

2 minutes ago, Traf said:

He admitted he got the team right and he said it was changed at half-time to put it right.
He also said that he expected them to come out quickly at us, that doesn't imply parking the bus. 

He said he reminded the team that they're fast starters but assumed it would be similar to Colchester where we struggled to break them down, hence the extra attacker in MM. Parking the bus maybe an extreme term, but he didn't expect them to play as positively as they did.

4 minutes ago, Mantra said:

He said he reminded the team that they're fast starters but assumed it would be similar to Colchester where we struggled to break them down, hence the extra attacker in MM. Parking the bus maybe an extreme term, but he didn't expect them to play as positively as they did.

I actually thought he contradicted himself by suggesting both.

1 minute ago, Traf said:

I actually thought he contradicted himself by suggesting both.

Suppose he did in a way, probably just meant that when they score, they tend to score early, not sure of the stats on that.

Probably thought if we could avoid conceding the early goal then it would just be a matter of picking the lock for the rest of the game and having an extra attacker would help with that.

In reality, they took the game to us first half and stuck to that plan second half. I think if they had parked the bus in the second half then they probably would've got something from the game. They kept playing positively though which allowed us space to get that breakaway winner in the end.