Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Gary Neville says....

Ani

56 minutes ago, Pablo said:

When he names the other centre back options, ha has a great point.

I think it is easy for Carragher to squeak that he is implying Maguire is better than Kane, whereas he is actually saying the drop off from Kane to say Rashford is less than the drop off from Maguire to say Dier, which given Dier does not currently play every week for Spurs is valid. 
IMO it just highlights how poor we are at centre half when Maguire and Stones are essential. Maguire at the highest level will struggle. 

3 minutes ago, Ani said:

I think it is easy for Carragher to squeak that he is implying Maguire is better than Kane, whereas he is actually saying the drop off from Kane to say Rashford is less than the drop off from Maguire to say Dier, which given Dier does not currently play every week for Spurs is valid. 
IMO it just highlights how poor we are at centre half when Maguire and Stones are essential. Maguire at the highest level will struggle. 

Completely agree. We have a few "decent" centre backs, but after Stones and Maguire.....we are struggling really.

Kane is ace, but as you say we have loads of attackers that can & do score loads of goals.

McGuire is a superb defender and has been one of the most consistent performers in the prem this season. 

Captain and near enough ever present at the team currently second in the league plus a World Cup Semi finalist and premier league winner. 

Other high profile defenders make mistakes like he did earlier in the season and don’t get half the coverage.  

The fact he played 3 CBs for so long shows he doesn’t really trust Maguire and Stones as a partnership 

I love stones but he’s just a car crash. Maguire is decent but limited. 

the inclusion of Rice in front now allows him the play the 2 more. But wouldn’t be surprised if he went to 3 in the bigger games 

12 hours ago, gonzo said:

McGuire is a superb defender and has been one of the most consistent performers in the prem this season. 

Captain and near enough ever present at the team currently second in the league plus a World Cup Semi finalist and premier league winner. 

Other high profile defenders make mistakes like he did earlier in the season and don’t get half the coverage.  

The year LEicester won the Premier league, MAguire was playing in teh Championship with Hull.

He signed 12 months later.

• Members

If you play 4 at the back, you want a ball playing centre back and an aggressive no nonsense centre back

Maguire is a scapegoat because of his price tag, he’s a great defender, stones and Maguire will start at the euros together 

• Members

FWIW If we didn’t have Kane I’d still back Rashford, Ings, DCL, or even Bamford to bag goals in this England set up, but Kane offers so much more than goals, and that’s why he’s so integral

Edited by Rudy

• Members
7 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

One thing Maguire and Kane have in common - neither have won a major trophy for club or country

That says something about how good Maguire and Kane are.Two half decent Premier League players who won't be winning England the Euros

Half of the last squad hasn’t won a major trophy

15 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

One thing Maguire and Kane have in common - neither have won a major trophy for club or country

That says something about how good Maguire and Kane are.Two half decent Premier League players who won't be winning England the Euros

Djimi Traore won a Champions League medal.

19 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Can't agree with you on Kane. There isn't a striker in world football I'd see as being an improvement on him at the moment. 

I can think of at least 30 centre halves who would be a step up from Maguire mind. I don't dislike him but he's not world class.

Maguire is better on the ball and being a defensive outlet than he is at actually defending. Don't know why he's painted as some no nonsense type. He and stones are prone to massive dopey moments.  Just those two starting together at the euros will be asking for trouble. That being said we're not exactly flooded with options in that position 🧐

9 minutes ago, deane koontz said:

Maguire is better on the ball and being a defensive outlet than he is at actually defending. Don't know why he's painted as some no nonsense type. He and stones are prone to massive dopey moments.  Just those two starting together at the euros will be asking for trouble. That being said we're not exactly flooded with options in that position 🧐

Maybe the reason Big Gaz wants to protect them with 3 million holding midfielders

24 minutes ago, deane koontz said:

Maguire is better on the ball and being a defensive outlet than he is at actually defending. 

Surprises me that. I don't watch much Prem stuff these days but for England he's often appeared to lack composure on the ball when under pressure.  I've always thought of him as a stopper. No finesse but decent enough. 

14 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Surprises me that. I don't watch much Prem stuff these days but for England he's often appeared to lack composure on the ball when under pressure.  I've always thought of him as a stopper. No finesse but decent enough. 

I can't fault him in that area. He always seem comfortable in  possession carries the ball well and is a decent passer. 

His positioning and general laxness at times is a bit poo though..