Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Peaks vs Lakes

Smiley

Time and time again I hear the Lakes are this and that. And folk seem to dismiss the Peak District.

50-65 mins away and less busy - I’ve got to say I cannot fault the Peaks for terrain, beauty and a great day out.

Anyone looking to just rock up and do something in natural beauty - I can recommend parking up at Fairholmes (get there early for the free spots), hiring (or taking your own) a bike and cycling round Ladybower, Derwent & Howden reservoirs. Then ditch the bikes and head up one of the big hills, or into the woods for a quality run/walk. Or take a dip in Slippery Stones natural pool. 

That’s just my six penneth. Lots more to see around the rest of the NP. But a good starting point. 

Edited by Smiley

• Members
4 minutes ago, Traf said:

Cheers, Smiley. 

I love the Peak District, it's far less busy than the Lakes, but it's now going to be full of you cunts.

Is that where your caravan is? Can we all stay with you ?

36 minutes ago, Traf said:

Cheers, Smiley. 

I love the Peak District, it's far less busy than the Lakes, but it's now going to be full of you cunts.

Nah, Wetherspoons opens next Monday. The cunts will be tucked away there for the foreseeable - leaving the countryside free for the rest of us. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

The Peak District is sound, but there isn't enough to climb, its lovely and there's some great walks.

The Lakes though, its different class, over 200+ peaks, wainwright walks etc... its just vast and beautiful.

The location we live in is brilliant, 1 hour drive to the Lakes, peaks and the Dales, and you can pop Rivington, Darwin on there as well.

Greater Manchester is a lovely place to live isn’t it 😍

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, jmjhb said:

The only thing about the Lakes is the insane amount of rainfall it gets 

Goes with the territory though- terrain and greenery would be different if it was a drier place.

I think part of the reason more go to the lakes from here is travel. Getting round Manc and towards Buxton etc can be a bit of a ball ache.

Obviously, when it's busy, getting into Windermere can also ba a ball ache.

We used to go to the Lakes a lot but too crowded these days, there are just a few places left such as Lorton Vale.

Should definitely get across to the Peaks more, I assume its less crowded, last time I went I took a gang over Mam Tor.

Some decent ascents in the Peaks. Edale up to Kinder Scout. Or Castleton up to Mam Tor - along the ridge to Lose Hill. Down and back up Win Hill. Over at Ladybower, there's some good climbs up to Marjery Hill, Howden & Derwent Edges (did that route yesterday as a run). And the likes of Stanage Edge from Hathersage is a good walk. I guess as far north as Dovestones Res and south down to Thor's Cave - plenty enough going on.

Throw a bit of Macclesfield Forest into the mix as well - got Shining Tor, Teggs Nose and Shutlingsloe to head up from there.

But agree, we live in a great location to get to the Yorkshire Dales (about 2 hours), Lakes (1.25 hours), Peaks (1 hour) and Snowdonia (1.75 hours).

And also agree, that Rivington, Anglezarke, Belmont - plus the likes of Jumbles, Wayoh & Entwistle offer some cracking landscapes. Recently also discovered Darwen Moors this year - the tower, Sunnyhurst Woods and Roddlesworth Woods. Belting.

• Members
1 minute ago, Smiley said:

Some decent ascents in the Peaks. Edale up to Kinder Scout. Or Castleton up to Mam Tor - along the ridge to Lose Hill. Down and back up Win Hill. Over at Ladybower, there's some good climbs up to Marjery Hill, Howden & Derwent Edges (did that route yesterday as a run). And the likes of Stanage Edge from Hathersage is a good walk. I guess as far north as Dovestones Res and south down to Thor's Cave - plenty enough going on.

Throw a bit of Macclesfield Forest into the mix as well - got Shining Tor, Teggs Nose and Shutlingsloe to head up from there.

But agree, we live in a great location to get to the Yorkshire Dales (about 2 hours), Lakes (1.25 hours), Peaks (1 hour) and Snowdonia (1.75 hours).

And also agree, that Rivington, Anglezarke, Belmont - plus the likes of Jumbles, Wayoh & Entwistle offer some cracking landscapes. Recently also discovered Darwen Moors this year - the tower, Sunnyhurst Woods and Roddlesworth Woods. Belting.

Entwistle reservoir is absolutely stunning. I’d happily live up there 

7 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

The Peak District is sound, but there isn't enough to climb, its lovely and there's some great walks.

The Lakes though, its different class, over 200+ peaks, wainwright walks etc... its just vast and beautiful.

The location we live in is brilliant, 1 hour drive to the Lakes, peaks and the Dales, and you can pop Rivington, Darwin on there as well.

It’s an evolving picture

20 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Trough/forest of Bowland also brilliant and often overlooked as people drive on for the lakes.

I do hate this thread though, reminds me of the real of features Cambridgeshire/East of England has. The Northwest is very, very well served 

Just have to look at other a bit differently. Done a load of decent walks around Cambridgeshire and into Essex and summer is beautiful is both locations, plus the sunsets don't get obscured by hills.

Each part of this country has amazing features, but you'll always be disappointed pining for moorland hills in the fens. Enjoy what you have.

Kent isn't lakes breathtaking by any stretch but some lovely areas in that you totally understand the garden of England tag. Oxfordshire stunning, Malvern hills and into the forest of Dean - again ace.

The walks though west Sussex downs into Arundel and across to Chichester....

I'm just not a fan of this God's Own Country stuff. There are so many beautiful places across the country and all accessible. London was the first green city, its not like those American Park led cities, get to the top of a high building and it looks as though the places is struggling to reach through the trees.

Think I've just become more mellow as I've got older and appreciate where ever it is my hat has landed this time!

Having said that, the peak district is too full of Mancs for liking...

Plus why do they do the right to roam walk,when we had one of our own shot on the hills above Smithills for walking on land that by rights, is ours.

Surprised we've never made more.of this, was an important part of the development of right to roam routes for everyone.

48 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Just have to look at other a bit differently. Done a load of decent walks around Cambridgeshire and into Essex and summer is beautiful is both locations, plus the sunsets don't get obscured by hills.

Each part of this country has amazing features, but you'll always be disappointed pining for moorland hills in the fens. Enjoy what you have.

Kent isn't lakes breathtaking by any stretch but some lovely areas in that you totally understand the garden of England tag. Oxfordshire stunning, Malvern hills and into the forest of Dean - again ace.

The walks though west Sussex downs into Arundel and across to Chichester....

I'm just not a fan of this God's Own Country stuff. There are so many beautiful places across the country and all accessible. London was the first green city, its not like those American Park led cities, get to the top of a high building and it looks as though the places is struggling to reach through the trees.

Think I've just become more mellow as I've got older and appreciate where ever it is my hat has landed this time!

Oh I know there is definitely some great places outside of the Northwest and I do appreciate the beauty the East has to offer, the weather and sunsets can be spectacular and when the fields are in full bloom and the sky is clear and blue the starc contrast it brings is really something.  The Norfolk coast is also a stunning place and usually very quiet even at peak times, compared with the peaks/lakes.

Got friends in Oxfordshire and that is a great place and will be in the cotswolds in June which should be great. 

But having grown up on the edge of the lakes and spending a lot of time holidaying up in the south lakeland/Bowland area it holds a very special part of me and lots of great memories.  Plus when I haven't been able to visit friends and family their in over 12 months in that region also makes it more difficult. 

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Entwistle reservoir is absolutely stunning. I’d happily live up there 

Know it well, used to walk around the area with my old dad, my family is from Dimple/Belmont. I'd move there tomorrow if I could

• Members
Just now, Dimron said:

Know it well, used to walk around the area with my old dad, my family is from Dimple/Belmont. I'd move there tomorrow if I could

It’s beautiful it really is, I took a picture and it looks like it’s in Canada. Strawberry duck for a swift half after it as well