Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Torn Retina

MancWanderer

Anyone on here suffered and been treated? Had my routine eye test this morning and was immediately summoned to Rochdale Infirmary for 5.30pm due a suspected torn retina

I know little to nowt about the eyes. Not sure what to expect. The optician wasn’t very helpful

19 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Anyone on here suffered and been treated? Had my routine eye test this morning and was immediately summoned to Rochdale Infirmary for 5.30pm due a suspected torn retina

I know little to nowt about the eyes. Not sure what to expect. The optician wasn’t very helpful

My dad had a detached retina if the same thing? Blurred vision so went to opticians. And was quickly sent to eye hospital. Had an op later that day to have it reattached. 

took about 2 weeks to get back to normal. But all in all was done quick and efficiently 

• Members

Detached and tears are two different things and detached are a lot more serious, boxers usually get them, Mrs Manc been duffing you up? 
Common injury from bungee jumping as well. Witnessed a freak injury at work where someone got a detached retina nasty business 

Tears can repair themselves, severe tears is usually laser operation

Detached can be repaired but may take longer to fully recover, it’s a good thing they’ve spotted it early and why you should regularly get your eyes tested 

2 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Just rub it with a BLOON 

Rochdale Infirmary  fuck me you be Groomed before you get to Reception 

1 hour ago, MancWanderer said:

OK. Thanks all. Yeah Esco I believe from what he said that it’s the precursor to the retina becoming detached which is why it’s classed as an emergency 

Good to hear that it’s laser if needed. Was worried that it might be a knife 

Dad had to have it reattached and a small balloon put behind the eye to keep the retina attached while it healed. The balloon went down over 2 weeks and then dissolved. Science eh. 
 Sounded fucking horrendous but he said was ok and he was a right soft cunt so it must’ve been. 

3 hours ago, bolton_blondie said:

Some tears treat themselves. They don't always require surgery. Best getting it checked though. 

Tears are not enough

1 hour ago, miamiwhite said:

Had one, sold it for 100 quid years ago

Sorry, thought you said Ford Cortina

You get worse pal 😀

Anyway. Thankfully not a torn retina but retinoschisis. Got to go back as the hospital picked summat else up on their fancy machine. As Rudy says get your eyes tested regularly. The consultant said too many folk not bothering and he’s seeing a massive increase in serious problems with folk buying cheap shit glasses from Wilko and the like and not bothering having their eyes properly tested to look for other problems. And rubbing their eyes with bloons is particularly bad in certain areas 

• Members
1 minute ago, MancWanderer said:

You get worse pal 😀

Anyway. Thankfully not a torn retina but retinoschisis. Got to go back as the hospital picked summat else up on their fancy machine. As Rudy says get your eyes tested regularly. The consultant said too many folk not bothering and he’s seeing a massive increase in serious problems with folk buying cheap shit glasses from Wilko and the like and not bothering having their eyes properly tested to look for other problems. And rubbing their eyes with bloons is particularly bad in certain areas 

I'm 5 years overdue a eye test. Only wear my jam jars for driving and secretary role play. Deffo need to book a eye test soon.

14 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

I'm 5 years overdue a eye test. Only wear my jam jars for driving and secretary role play. Deffo need to book a eye test soon.

Bit of a hobbyhorse for me all this testing. Because I’ve been working in pharma, woundcare and devices for 35 years I totally get the benefits of early diagnosis. Plus, my sister ignored blood in her urine, and was dead two years later with secondary brain tumours from bladder cancer

Eye test every two years, cholesterol test every year, blood pressure test every six months. Had prostate test just before Xmas and have skin cancer test booked via work in May.

I’m no demic but have got a bit tired of dusting off the black suit to attend funerals of family or friends who unexpectedly died early and those painful conversations “Oooh who’d have thought it. He/she was only down Tesco the other day”

25 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

You get worse pal 😀

I was referred to the eye hospital by Boots Opticians (suspected glaucoma), after four years of annual appointments with all the scans and gluing probes onto my eyeballs the consultant said he had been monitoring my eyes and could not find anything wrong with them. Told me it was probably an initial measurement error at Boots... they put some little NVQ girl on the machines thinking they are some kind of expert, so not convinced about all the tests high street opticians bang on about.

10 minutes ago, Dimron said:

I was referred to the eye hospital by Boots Opticians (suspected glaucoma), after four years of annual appointments with all the scans and gluing probes onto my eyeballs the consultant said he had been monitoring my eyes and could not find anything wrong with them. Told me it was probably an initial measurement error at Boots... they put some little NVQ girl on the machines thinking they are some kind of expert, so not convinced about all the tests high street opticians bang on about.

Get what you’re saying mate but the consultant today put it into perspective. The machine at Vision Express showed a problem that COULD have been a retinal tear. His machine at the hospital showed that it was the layers of the retina at the back of the eye starting to separate - retinoschisis. Said the optician was good to refer me immediately as at least he picked up a risk and they can keep an eye (?) on it and his machine has picked up on another potential problem. 

1 hour ago, MancWanderer said:

Bit of a hobbyhorse for me all this testing. Because I’ve been working in pharma, woundcare and devices for 35 years I totally get the benefits of early diagnosis. Plus, my sister ignored blood in her urine, and was dead two years later with secondary brain tumours from bladder cancer

Eye test every two years, cholesterol test every year, blood pressure test every six months. Had prostate test just before Xmas and have skin cancer test booked via work in May.

I’m no demic but have got a bit tired of dusting off the black suit to attend funerals of family or friends who unexpectedly died early and those painful conversations “Oooh who’d have thought it. He/she was only down Tesco the other day”

Think that’s a good idea, I’m gonna start mithering my doc, asked him twice for a prostrate test and he’s knocked me back, didn’t know you could have skin cancer test. Think once you past 50 you should be eligible for a well mans test every couple of years on the NHS.  

Edited by Mounts Kipper

39 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Think that’s a good idea, I’m gonna start mithering my doc, asked him twice for a prostrate test and he’s knocked me back, didn’t know you could have skin cancer test. Think once you past 50 you should be eligible for a well mans test every couple of years on the NHS.  

Mrs Manc had been mithering me for a couple of years about prostate test. Her viewpoint was why was I ignoring it when she was having someone sticking all sorts up her flue every year to test for cervical cancer. She was fucking gutted when my prostate test was a blood test rather than someone’s finger up my hoop. I paid privately. Cost about £100

Skin cancer test is via work. My Dad had a fuck off tumour taken off his lip that related to his time in the RAF in Gibraltar in WW2. I inherited his fair skin so thought fuck it, I’ve got a few lumps and bumps, get them looked at. Again £100 or so. A good older golfing friend of mine passed away earlier this year from a melanoma. I’ll happily pay to make sure I won’t follow him

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Think that’s a good idea, I’m gonna start mithering my doc, asked him twice for a prostrate test and he’s knocked me back, .  

You should book an appointment rather than ask him down the pub

8 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Mrs Manc had been mithering me for a couple of years about prostate test. Her viewpoint was why was I ignoring it when she was having someone sticking all sorts up her flue every year to test for cervical cancer. She was fucking gutted when my prostate test was a blood test rather than someone’s finger up my hoop. I paid privately. Cost about £100

Skin cancer test is via work. My Dad had a fuck off tumour taken off his lip that related to his time in the RAF in Gibraltar in WW2. I inherited his fair skin so thought fuck it, I’ve got a few lumps and bumps, get them looked at. Again £100 or so. A good older golfing friend of mine passed away earlier this year from a melanoma. I’ll happily pay to make sure I won’t follow him

Thanks for the info, the doctor said that blood tests are inconclusive and if they found anything it would mean an invasive procedure to check prostate that’s why he didn’t offer PSA.  I’m presuming it was a PSA test?  As a matter of interest what private provider did you go to arrange the Prostate test? 

Edited by Mounts Kipper