Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Scam City At The Moment.

leigh white

• Site Supporter

Same. Half of them canโ€™t even be arsed to employ a wanker to speak on their behalf, preferring instead to have a robot telling me Iโ€™m under investigation for tax fraud.ย 
ย 

Today a bank I donโ€™t use warned me that an account I donโ€™t have has been used by some fraudsters. Ooh, the irony.

British Gas needed me to speak to me about the arrears my account is in due to my direct debit being refused. In order to speak to an account advisor I need to press 1.

ย 

Thing is, people must fall for it otherwise these calls wouldnโ€™t be a thing.

2 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

None. Its the other way round, me mythering him heavy breathing down the phone.ย 

Must be the hormonesย 

doing your best Pamela Anderson impression ๐Ÿ˜

Edited by Escobarp

2 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Same. Half of them canโ€™t even be arsed to employ a wanker to speak on their behalf, preferring instead to have a robot telling me Iโ€™m under investigation for tax fraud.ย 
ย 

Today a bank I donโ€™t use warned me that an account I donโ€™t have has been used by some fraudsters. Ooh, the irony.

British Gas needed me to speak to me about the arrears my account is in due to my direct debit being refused. In order to speak to an account advisor I need to press 1.

ย 

Thing is, people must fall for it otherwise these calls wouldnโ€™t be a thing.

Endemic, a lot of folk fall for this kind of thing, I must admit I nearly got sucked in when I thought I was talking to someone from Amazon, you got to be well on your toes these days.

Just now, leigh white said:

Endemic, a lot of folk fall for this kind of thing, I must admit I nearly got sucked in when I thought I was talking to someone from Amazon, you got to be well on your toes these days.

That so you can see the kitchen worktop pal?

• Site Supporter

I gotย one from an automated American lady, saying I had been charged with a serious, but unspecified crime and I had 7 days to pay to an account in America.

Fortunately I've got $245,000 coming in for my Bitcoins so the American lady will have to wait. I gave my details to the Bitcoin lady last week but my money has not come through yet.

Maybe tomorrow.

• Site Supporter

Had one recently, ordered something , got a genuine message/ notification saying Royal Mail will deliver it between 9. &. 2 track it here etc

day before that date I got a text saying my Royal Mail delivery was ยฃ2 short of shipping and Iโ€™d have to pay or it would be returned and to click on this link to pay.ย 
didnโ€™t click it but could see how someone panicking for a birthday present etc may doย 

ย 

2 minutes ago, fatolive said:

Had one recently, ordered something , got a genuine message/ notification saying Royal Mail will deliver it between 9. &. 2 track it here etc

day before that date I got a text saying my Royal Mail delivery was ยฃ2 short of shipping and Iโ€™d have to pay or it would be returned and to click on this link to pay.ย 
didnโ€™t click it but could see how someone panicking for a birthday present etc may doย 

ย 

Got the same text message today. Post office need ยฃ2.99 deliveryย fee. For every 99 who see the scamย coming, there is one who will believe it. Sadly.

38 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

I gotย one from an automated American lady, saying I had been charged with a serious, but unspecified crime and I had 7 days to pay to an account in America.

Fortunately I've got $245,000 coming in for my Bitcoins so the American lady will have to wait. I gave my details to the Bitcoin lady last week but my money has not come through yet.

Maybe tomorrow.

The Bitcoin lady has askedย the Nigerian Prince to process the payment. It will be with you very soon.

You probablyย just need to provideย a few standard details - bank acc number, sort code, motherโ€™s maiden name, name of your first pet, first school, petโ€™sย nameย etc.ย 

Edited by Jol_BWFC

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

It appears I've been involved in a car crash almost weekly at the moment.

Regularly. That oneโ€™s often a scouser so I keep him talking to the point where they start believing I actually have had a crash. When they eventually ask for the details of injuries itโ€™s at that point I tell them I had been killed. Strangely, they usually put the phone down.

ย 

8 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

I've had a couple of UK ones on my work extension as well, how the fuck do these cranks get your number ?

I used to sell life assurance in Manchester where you spent all morning cold-calling and all afternoon face-to-face with those interested in buying some life cover. At the time most numbers in Bolton were five figures starting with a 5. Iโ€™d start at 50000 then 50001 and keep adding one to the previous number. The upside to this was that youโ€™d occasionally get a real ranter who was deeply upset about how you got hold of his XD number. That number would be saved for wind-ups later on.ย 

Had one a few years ago when working from home , phone rangย "can Iย  speak to the business owner", obviously Indian.

Told him no. He then asked who the business owner was, I replied "Guinness <surname>"

A few days later, phone rang and wifey answers "Can I speak with Guinness <surname>" goes the Indian, wife incredulous "Why do you want to speak to my DOG?" By this time I'm rolling around on the floor imitating a dying fly ๐Ÿ™‚

Another one I use is when they phone, I ask them to hold and put the phone next to the radio with Classic FM on until they get fed up

9 hours ago, Zico said:

I don't even answer the phone anymore to anything not in my contactsย 

Just watch it ring suspiciously, then Google the number

Same. House phone is never answered and same with mobile if not in my contacts unless I know that someone will be phoning me but donโ€™t know their number like a remote GP consultation I had a while ago