Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Prince Philip.

leigh white

17 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Yes we do but not all of them have lived their lives in the public eye. I suppose he was the Great Britain's Grandad. All good men.

Media deffo over the top...  currently watching France v England on I Player because BBC 4 is suspended... Why?

Not everyone has had the privilege and platform.

I'm talking about balance rather than saluting a man who no one really knew.

My grandpa went to war for King and Country, he'd have disagreed with me, but that's fine - I'm of a very different generation, no worse or better, just different. I respect all of those who went though times not of their choosing.

What I find odd is that self proclaimed libertarians, that under the flag they castigate those who voice a different opinion, when it's something they so vociferously fight for.

It's almost as if you have to agree with one opinion.

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Weird isn't it. 

I certainly won't be losing any sleep tonight, nor will his passing weigh heavy on me, that doesn't mean you can't respect the fella, nor be grateful for his efforts.

Some strange bitterness and chip carrying apparently borne purely because of a poorly informed perception of someone else.

Parallels with captain Sir Tom. A few nasty comments about him and his family from some folk.

Didn't know either of them, but both appeared to be decent blokes, humble despite having stories to tell, and served their nation at its time of great need. 👍

Not really, only strange if you disagree.

It must be lovely being so sure all the time cocker.

Fuck all parallels with capt Tom, keep bleating to the bell jar.

• Site Supporter

The Royals - especially The Queen and Prince Philip - do a job in the same way most of us do.

They have to do it and there must be days when the thought of smiling at strangers and pretending to give a fuck about a new hospital wing really pisses them off. And they could legitimately just say “I’m queen, I’ll do what I want”

But, they don’t.

Yes, there are privileges that we cannot comprehend that come with it, but in the end someone has to do it, and it’s an institution of which we are, in the main, proud of. Some people are openly proud, some less so.

Bottom line, Liz and Phil have given their lives to make sure they represent us across the world. And whilst they’ve been exceptionally well looked after, it’s as much about what they stand for as it is how much it supposedly costs (which is fuck all in reality).

I for one will be genuinely gutted when it’s Lizzies turn.

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

My grandpa went to war for King and Country, he'd have disagreed with me, but that's fine - I'm of a very different generation, no worse or better, just different. I respect all of those who went though times not of their choosing.

What I find odd is that self proclaimed libertarians, that under the flag they castigate those who voice a different opinion, when it's something they so vociferously fight for.

You’re taking this all a bit seriously sunshine. All people wanted to do was show a little respect to an old guy who died. As for privilege, you’ve told us your background. I’d guess more privileged than most on here.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, royal white said:

So you haven’t heard of the royal family being lizards? Mustn’t  be true then if Cheese and NIC have never heard of it. 

David Icke? Is that who you're referring to?

2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I suppose I'm in the cross-over generation.

I believe in an equal opportunity and non-discriminatory society but when it comes to the Queen and Prince Philip I have a soft spot, Can't see me feeling the same about the next batch of royals.

Fk me Paris has just missed in front of goal... they-re just like BWFC... 60 % possession and 9 chances

• Site Supporter
Just now, royal white said:

He is one of many. Which part of my post was a load of shite? 

You implied there'd be thousands of people dancing in the street who believed Prince Philip was a lizard - which would indeed be worrying, if it were true. Can you name anyone other than David Icke? 

5 minutes ago, Cheese said:

You implied there'd be thousands of people dancing in the street who believed Prince Philip was a lizard - which would indeed be worrying, if it were true. Can you name anyone other than David Icke? 

Jenny, Dave and steff 

Edited by royal white

3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

You really do like to exaggerate a little.

22 minutes ago, Spider said:

The Royals - especially The Queen and Prince Philip - do a job in the same way most of us do.

They have to do it and there must be days when the thought of smiling at strangers and pretending to give a fuck about a new hospital wing really pisses them off. And they could legitimately just say “I’m queen, I’ll do what I want”

But, they don’t.

Yes, there are privileges that we cannot comprehend that come with it, but in the end someone has to do it, and it’s an institution of which we are, in the main, proud of. Some people are openly proud, some less so.

Bottom line, Liz and Phil have given their lives to make sure they represent us across the world. And whilst they’ve been exceptionally well looked after, it’s as much about what they stand for as it is how much it supposedly costs (which is fuck all in reality).

I for one will be genuinely gutted when it’s Lizzies turn.

Too right

respect

Surely if you believe that the royal family are somehow superior to you and yours and should be looked at more reverentially then you then you are as mentally ill as people who think that someone died and then came back to life 3 days later and floated up to a place called heaven on a cloud?

I'm all for treating every single person on earth with respect until their own behaviour shows they aren't worthy of it but no-one should get extra because of their family name.

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

So he meant "dozens" then? Or "a few"? Why would he be worried about that?

No idea about numbers. Dancing in the street though?
Martha and the Vandellas or David Bowie and Mick Jagger.

Martha for me.👍