Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Salford Away

RUREADY2ROLL

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Rudy said:

When he gets a bit of space and he runs they look terrified. 

IE does well at spotting weaknesses so I think he’ll be saying just that 

He didn't spot Crellins as quick as me. 🤗

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Have you ever seen a team that’s worse at corners? We just kick them straight out now!

I've thought for a while that it's hardly an advantage and a long punt from the opposition goalkeeper suits us better, wonder how many miles Santos and John the Baptiste have done jogging up and legging it back all season and never got near an header.?

There was one block from Jones with about 5 minutes to go where I’d already resigned myself to them equalising it looked that certain - he came from nowhere. I know John gets a lot of the plaudits, and rightly so because he’s better than this league, but Jones’ improvement from the start of the season and his form since he settled at right back has been top draw. 

You almost forget he was one of the ‘originals’.

To be fair to the rest of them, there were some brilliant blocks, last ditch tackles and covering runs etc. from them all (Santos was a man possessed in the last 10 especially) but I just think Jones goes under the radar a bit and he’s been fantastic.

• Members
15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

There was one block from Jones with about 5 minutes to go where I’d already resigned myself to them equalising it looked that certain - he came from nowhere. I know John gets a lot of the plaudits, and rightly so because he’s better than this league, but Jones’ improvement from the start of the season and his form since he settled at right back has been top draw. 

You almost forget he was one of the ‘originals’.

To be fair to the rest of them, there were some brilliant blocks, last ditch tackles and covering runs etc. from them all (Santos was a man possessed in the last 10 especially) but I just think Jones goes under the radar a bit and he’s been fantastic.

When Brockbank went out injured I feared for us, first couple of games Jones looked a little shaky but he’s gone about his business and just been solid. 

2 hours ago, Good Knee said:

I've thought for a while that it's hardly an advantage and a long punt from the opposition goalkeeper suits us better, wonder how many miles Santos and John the Baptiste have done jogging up and legging it back all season and never got near an header.?

Its something we need to improve on, obviously not part of our game this season. We rarely beat the first defender, it was something I hoped Madison could provide but it hasn't happened.

Continue as we are for the final run in now

Kieran Lee has had a bit of a mare in front of goal recently, including tackling Doyle last night, but that last second run across the box creates that gap for Isgrove to curl it in. I suspect a Doyle a tap in was the intention, but they all count.

3 minutes ago, Traf said:

Kieran Lee has had a bit of a mare in front of goal recently, including tackling Doyle last night, but that last second run across the box creates that gap for Isgrove to curl it in. I suspect a Doyle a tap in was the intention, but they all count.

He has but it is his movement and reading of the game that means he keeps getting in those positions in the first place which is a good thing, just needs to keep practicing in training.

We are clearly starting to create more clear cut chances in and around the box, which was a criticism from some a while back, now it is just finishing them off which is stopping us running away with games. I think it will come before the season is done.

The next piece is then set pieces which are woeful, but probably too big a change for this season,so as someone else said carry on for now. But I would like to see a marked improvement next season, this may need to come from recruitment though.

Must say Isgrove over the last few weeks has really grown on me, he isn't the best but he is a battler and gives his all and never seems to give up, adding a couple of crucial goals as well recently.