Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Salford Away

RUREADY2ROLL

Have to say I’m beginning to fall in love with this group of players 

before Xmas I would’ve happily shot every one of them. Not only for their performances but it just felt like they didn’t care. The last 10 years we’ve had countless players tip up here take their money and fuck off at the first opportunity of things not going the way they expected. I thought we were in for the same again. 

yes wins breed confidence and togetherness but the Willingness to work their bollocks off, Chuck themselves in front of everything and the support from the back room staff and players not in the squad has made me feel proud of the team again for the first time in years! 

they’re not the most talented players we’ve ever had but they’re putting pride back in to the badge. That’s all’s I can ask for 

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

The picture posted by Burnden sums it all up for me...

Ey4-Ti-RFXIAABmyz.jpg

All going in the same direction.

That's why the naysayers get jumped on, the vast majority of us are 100% onboard now.

It's been a long time to turn it around with a few false dawns but we're seeing the real deal this time.

COYW...

Absolutely. 

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Ey4-Ti-RFXIAABmyz.jpg

All going in the same direction.

That's why the naysayers get jumped on, the vast majority of us are 100% onboard now.

It's been a long time to turn it around with a few false dawns but we're seeing the real deal this time.

COYW...

And if you feel Youri Mc may be having a go at you, he undoubtedly is.

It is strange how the doom and gloom brigade have gone quiet.

In the last week the club has dealt with the Maddison situation with great sensitivity and class. Today there is loads of stuff on social media about what the club is doing in the community and oh by the way we won a couple of games with a fully committed squad of players throwing themselves about.

A lot of this you could argue is what a football club should be doing but after years of going from one cock up to the next it feels brilliant to see this and  for so many of us to know we have stuck by the club and are now getting some reward. For the first time in a long time it is very easy to be a proud fan of Bolton Wanderers and of what we are doing on and off the pitch.

24 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Ey4-Ti-RFXIAABmyz.jpgAll going in the same direction.

COYW...

Bolton sold 20,000 season tickets for the 2003/04 season. Half that number won't be buying 3rd tier season tickets so let's not get carried away that the vast majority of fans are back onboard

4 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Bolton sold 20,000 season tickets for the 2003/04 season. Half that number won't be buying 3rd tier season tickets so let's not get carried away that the vast majority of fans are back onboard

Sold 8,000 for 4th tier with little chance of getting in the ground, so I’d think we’d comfortably shift 10,000 for League One and the return of fans. Which is pretty extraordinary if you ask me. 

4 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Them that matter are......

Mostly....

1 hour ago, barrycowdrill said:

before Xmas I would’ve happily shot every one of them. Not only for their performances but it just felt like they didn’t care. The last 10 years we’ve had countless players tip up here take their money and fuck off at the first opportunity of things not going the way they expected. I thought we were in for the same again. 

yes wins breed confidence and togetherness but the Willingness to work their bollocks off, Chuck themselves in front of everything and the support from the back room staff and players not in the squad has made me feel proud of the team again for the first time in years! 

they’re not the most talented players we’ve ever had but they’re putting pride back in to the badge. That’s all’s I can ask for 

Agree with every word. Granted we’ve brought in a lot of new players since then, but even the ones who have been with us all the way through are unrecognisable from the first half of the season. Player of the season awards is going to be a tough gig for the umpteenth consecutive season, and for once that’s a positive thing!

5 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Are nt we in the top 5 for I follow across the football league ? 

• Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Agree with every word. Granted we’ve brought in a lot of new players since then, but even the ones who have been with us all the way through are unrecognisable from the first half of the season. Player of the season awards is going to be a tough gig for the umpteenth consecutive season, and for once that’s a positive thing!

Makes a change from the recent season’s Least Shit Player of the Year.

4 hours ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

He has but it is his movement and reading of the game that means he keeps getting in those positions in the first place which is a good thing, just needs to keep practicing in training.

We are clearly starting to create more clear cut chances in and around the box, which was a criticism from some a while back, now it is just finishing them off which is stopping us running away with games. I think it will come before the season is done.

The next piece is then set pieces which are woeful, but probably too big a change for this season,so as someone else said carry on for now. But I would like to see a marked improvement next season, this may need to come from recruitment though.

Must say Isgrove over the last few weeks has really grown on me, he isn't the best but he is a battler and gives his all and never seems to give up, adding a couple of crucial goals as well recently. 

I think we just have to accept that we don’t have a real cutting edge Cambridge. Doyle missed 5 good chances last night and two against Newport, only beaten by Lee’s three missed sitters. As you say, we are a work in progress and if we do go up as I expect, there will be much for IE to work on during the summer. For me Doyle is very much a L2 striker and no more. Can you imagine how many Super John and Andy Walker would have potted in this team? 

despite the lack of goals, you can’t criticise the teams work rate and even though zdoyle didn’t score last night, he still put a shift in. Lee, if you look at his career history, has never been a big goal scorer yet along with MJ has totally transformed midfield and look at the goals the two of them have prevented. So I’ve given up on us thrashing anyone this year, if it has to be one nils in the remaining games, I’m fine with that as long as we’re in that top 3 at the end.

2 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

I think we just have to accept that we don’t have a real cutting edge Cambridge. Doyle missed 5 good chances last night and two against Newport, only beaten by Lee’s three missed sitters. As you say, we are a work in progress and if we do go up as I expect, there will be much for IE to work on during the summer. For me Doyle is very much a L2 striker and no more. Can you imagine how many Super John and Andy Walker would have potted in this team? 

despite the lack of goals, you can’t criticise the teams work rate and even though zdoyle didn’t score last night, he still put a shift in. Lee, if you look at his career history, has never been a big goal scorer yet along with MJ has totally transformed midfield and look at the goals the two of them have prevented. So I’ve given up on us thrashing anyone this year, if it has to be one nils in the remaining games, I’m fine with that as long as we’re in that top 3 at the end.

Yeh, thats the sum of it.

2 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

Agree absolutely 100% Bazza, this team has restored everybody’s pride. I praise IE for that because not only has he brought in good players whilst developing others,he’s got everyone singing off the same hymn sheet. The only question now in my mind about going up is, can we do it as Champions?

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

That was a harder shot than it looked from the front pictures and the keeper was obviously hampered by both the sun and players in front of him.

1-0 is just not enough is it