Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Morecambe Away

barryk32

10 hours ago, L/H White said:

are you 13 years old?

10 hours ago, Traf said:

All lining the street with flares and flags etc :D

Nope, but my lads not far off, think he’ll enjoy it. Luckily he’s not into Ted Bundy, like some kids. 😉 

I won’t be waving a flare, maybe put my phone torch light on. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

2 hours ago, Ani said:

Was pretty nervous before the game last night dread to think what I will be like Saturday.

Any news on John and Gilks ? 

Think John has not been as good last two games but our best left back by some way. 
Any issues with Gilks would scare me, with a near injury albeit late wonder if we get a keeper on bench ?

If Gilks isn't up to the game in goal can he play outfield behind Santos and Baptiste shouting his instructions? He doesn't need to kick a ball just do his high volume coaching. Can a registered goalie play an outfield position? 

Just wondering

3 hours ago, Rudy said:

Suppose it’s how the other team set up, drop deep and have two banks of 4 and we have to try and draw them out of their positions, a lot easier to shift the ball when the opposition are running at a high tempo

We should be controlling the pace more but it’s difficult in this league especially at home because every one wants a scalp off us because we are MASSIVE 

Its how they come out of the tunnel that does my head in.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

could this be the game we finally trounce somebody ! 

I honestly think we need to dismiss this outcome from our realistic possibilities. Even at our free flowing, less pressurised, consistent best, we demonstrated an inability to knock 3/4 goals in and comfortably see sides off with a significant goal advantage. And I’m saying this as an observation not a criticism, as I have been delighted and praiseworthy of the way we have gone on this run and used intellectual in-game management to see us get victory after victory.

Like it or not I believe this will either continue or if anything become more tense as we edge closer to the finishing line. And that’s natural to the situation we find ourselves in. IE alluded to this in his post match comments Tuesday. Because of the fine margins now at the top of the table, because nearly every side has something to play for and the rewards/sanctions for results are now massive, if you go a goal ahead, the opposition are going to throw more at you and in protecting the lead you unintentionally (or sometimes tactically) sit back and don’t want to unnecessarily over commit in the final 3rd, leaving yourself vulnerable.

I don’t think we should be critical if that’s how it plays out. Another nervy 1-0 result would be absolutely marvellous

If we go a goal down, then I’m sure we’ll see a positive reaction, as has happened a number of times since January.

I think this teams know-how, consistency, togetherness, experience and resilience will be enough to get us what we need, but I don’t think it will be a comfortable 2+ goal victory (although how lovely would it be if it was 😀)

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Nice positivity, but i think we all know it won't be plain sailing.

It will once they lose another player to a second yellow for protesting at our second goal which he believes should have been disallowed for off side.

2-0 up at half time, with 45 mins against 9 men to follow.

Get out the abacus. :)

1 hour ago, Dimron said:

If Gilks isn't up to the game in goal can he play outfield behind Santos and Baptiste shouting his instructions? He doesn't need to kick a ball just do his high volume coaching. Can a registered goalie play an outfield position? 

Just wondering

Sam Ashton did for us at Watford in the cup albeit as a sub.

2 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Then it's an option if Gilks is crocked.

Hopefully not necessary

Sam worked with us the other year on a relatives of Joe Royle.

Fucker accidentally dropped my Estwing down the cavity from roof height when I tossed it to him......no wonder Allardyce got shut 😆 🤣 

3 hours ago, desperado said:

I honestly think we need to dismiss this outcome from our realistic possibilities. Even at our free flowing, less pressurised, consistent best, we demonstrated an inability to knock 3/4 goals in and comfortably see sides off with a significant goal advantage. And I’m saying this as an observation not a criticism, as I have been delighted and praiseworthy of the way we have gone on this run and used intellectual in-game management to see us get victory after victory.

Like it or not I believe this will either continue or if anything become more tense as we edge closer to the finishing line. And that’s natural to the situation we find ourselves in. IE alluded to this in his post match comments Tuesday. Because of the fine margins now at the top of the table, because nearly every side has something to play for and the rewards/sanctions for results are now massive, if you go a goal ahead, the opposition are going to throw more at you and in protecting the lead you unintentionally (or sometimes tactically) sit back and don’t want to unnecessarily over commit in the final 3rd, leaving yourself vulnerable.

I don’t think we should be critical if that’s how it plays out. Another nervy 1-0 result would be absolutely marvellous

If we go a goal down, then I’m sure we’ll see a positive reaction, as has happened a number of times since January.

I think this teams know-how, consistency, togetherness, experience and resilience will be enough to get us what we need, but I don’t think it will be a comfortable 2+ goal victory (although how lovely would it be if it was 😀)

Agree with that desp, I can’t see us turning anybody over either. We don’t seem to have that killer instinct and when we do get one ahead, don’t push over much for another, relying on our defensive strength. It’s worked so far and hopefully will over the remaining games but it does lead to bitten finger nails. I think you summed it up in your last paragraph in that the team just know how to get the right results and we have to trust them with it.

46 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

remember the splendidly named Geoff Crudgington of Plymouth going up front against us when we beat them 7-2 in 1984 after he got crocked but there were no subs and someone else went in goal.

Geoff Crudgington - Wikipedia

When your grandkids ask you " Did you see those epic games against Walsall and Plymouth when Bolton banged the fuckers out of sight " ?

• The title was changed to Morecambe Away
  • The topic was pinned