Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Working lads,vans and pubs

Burndens Bogs

Anyone else noticed an increase in this type of thing? It's a sunny day and a van turns up at a pub with a couple of lads in, usually 4pm ish or whenever work is finished, soon joined by another 3 or 4 vans with geezers in,Then they all proceed to ram as many beers as they can down for the next 2 or 3 hours in the beer garden, then they all jump in their vans and drive off - presumably either home or on to another boozer.

I'm all for lads having a beer after work and i've done it most of my adult life, but the new breed tend to be selfish tvvats turning up at family pubs en masse, then after a coupe of beers they start getting a bit louder - swearing and shouting and generally not giving a flying fuck about anyone else around them, who quite often include wimmin/kids/older couples etc.

I'm not talking just one particular pub or town,as i've seen this kind of thing happen in several pubs in a few different towns.

I noticed this sort of thing was on the increase way before the lockdowns and i reckon it will move on to another level after being restricted for months.

It gets on my tits tbh, or am i just being a miserable old cnut?

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter

A bit of both I think Burnden. 

I have had a pint after work all of my working life but never got noticed in most pubs because I was on my own. They come came in my local like a full building site, plasterers scaffolders brickies the lot. Apart from the general rowdiness they also spend £50+ in the hour they are in. Which is most tea times.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Don’t you just love rubbing shoulders with a plasterer, still in work clothes, who leaves a trail of dust everywhere he sits?

I learnt more about scaffolding and brickying from hearing them shout across the pub than a full C&G would have taught me.

There's always one on the fruit machine, two playing pool and one trying to watch the racing, but still talking to each other. Loudly.

8 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Just the drink driving that bothers me 

I've read you actually drive better after four to seven pints of strong lager and a few lines.

You're much more aware of things and confident...

Nah, I'd bet owt some unlucky fucker has to remain sober to drive - folk wouldn't be that daft surely, especially as there's probably loads of families on days out at the boozer (Legoland was shut) who've had their jaunt ruined and are now itching to grass the ruiners for any transgression.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Obviously anyone drink-driving is an issue.

Assuming they're being responsible and the designated driver isn't drinking,  I have no problem with it.  No different for those lads to all go for a post-work pint than all the suits doing it in Manchester city centre,  apart from the dress code.

If I was one of them I'd probably be doing it.  A chance to go for a pint on the way home with the lads?  Fuck yeah.

23 minutes ago, little whitt said:

back in the day Sunday night 3 pigeons and then the TAVEN 

one lad had w big white van 20 of us in the back every weekend 

he was more pissed then us 

happy days 

Those of us with regular length legs just walked up the hill.

Always had a Friday beer with the boys, trouble is there are too many pubs becoming "family pubs".

We talk the usual shite, mainly footie. Try to stay on the High Street where it's less middle class if you know what I mean, beers better and most of them can get home without driving.

During the lockdown I had to allow the brickies to use the site canteen on one of my jobs as their pub on Friday afternoon... they brought their own cases of beer and crisps & nuts. Had the cover the empties in the skip before the safety officer cam around.

Edited by Dimron

2 hours ago, Dimron said:

Always had a Friday beer with the boys, trouble is there are too many pubs becoming "family pubs".

We talk the usual shite, mainly footie. Try to stay on the High Street where it's less middle class if you know what I mean, beers better and most of them can get home without driving.

During the lockdown I had to allow the brickies to use the site canteen on one of my jobs as their pub on Friday afternoon... they brought their own cases of beer and crisps & nuts. Had the cover the empties in the skip before the safety officer cam around.

That's proably more the issues, isn't it? The death of the local boozer where you wouldn't take kids anyway. Its all Harvesters, Wetherspoons or posh craft ale places

2 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Nail on head. A lot of the spit 'n sawdust boozers have gone.

The most obxious I've seen is round Liverpool Street on a thursday night, or round Goodge Street. At least blokes in a van go home for their tea - at 10pm no-one wants to hear a load of braying, cocktail swinging coke heads laughing at their own jokes.

3 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Nail on head. A lot of the spit 'n sawdust boozers have gone.

Walk through the door, lass behind the bar asks "six pints a packet of nuts for Bongo (dog)?" and I nod... those days will soon be back hopefully

• Site Supporter

Used to spend dinner times in the cattle market when I was an apprentice fitter, 2-3 pints, sausage egg and chips and back to fixing and operating plant machinery for the afternoon then back in at half 5 for another few. Was just the done thing and the cattle market was packed most dinner times with people from the surrounding workshops all doing the same . 

incredible really , this was in the mid 80s to early 90s , considering we now breathalyse people on random Monday mornings to make sure they’re not still under the influence from weekends, no one would dream of a pint at dinner or even a skinful the night before really 

There was pubs then you’d know you’d be ok in your work gear and pubs you’d know to go home and get changed before going in and also some where you’d go in the tap room but not in the “best “room . Not many pubs like that now 
think I’d fall asleep now if I had 3 pints and went back to the office now too 😁

Edited by fatolive
Spelling