Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Working lads,vans and pubs

Burndens Bogs

It’s never been any different. I loved it when I was childless and a complete alcoholic. 

There will be plenty of others pushing the same boundaries that you won’t notice because they aren’t covered in shite with a pencil behind the ear. 

There’s lads round here do take it to the extreme though. When our peg had the pub the same vans were there as early as 3ish every day. Think nothing of two hours, 6 pints and drive home. Absolute madness. 

If you work in a city centre there will be any number of pubs (or more likely bars !) that have office workers in there doing exactly the same. 

My old boss die cos of the drink, remember him easily doing 4 pints in a lunch hour and then back to pub after work on a pretty regular basis. Few afternoons asleep at his desk. 

Just now, Ani said:

If you work in a city centre there will be any number of pubs (or more likely bars !) that have office workers in there doing exactly the same. 

My old boss die cos of the drink, remember him easily doing 4 pints in a lunch hour and then back to pub after work on a pretty regular basis. Few afternoons asleep at his desk. 

When I first started in the late 70s we always had a lunchtime pint, the site foremen would be in the Duck and the labour in the Prince of Wales. One of our site agents kept beer in the canteen to stop the lads going down the pub... completely changed now.

We started a job in a (well known) research lab last week and the estates manager was pissed out of his head when he finally rolled in at 09:30, couldn't open the door and only just managed the stairs. He got sent home and we haven't seen him since, I didn't realise he had that sort of problem but it explains why he was a prickly character, I feel sorry for him. There's a slippery slope I suppose.

I had a driving job when at Uni. Used to work Saturday mornings. One day got in at 5am from town. Set off at 7am for work. Got to depot couldn’t get out the van. How I got there in hindsight I’ve no idea. Depot manager came over opened my door and I fell out sideways. 

spent the morning asleep in the canteen then rest of the weekend looking for a new job and rightly so. 

that was the last time I had more than I should and drove. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Ani said:

First full time job was in an insurance company, 12 the boss would leave for the day, so we’d go to the pub, try and drink as many beers in an hour. Managed 4 pints once and went back to work. Miracle no one was ever sacked. 

One of my locals - is a working lads pub.

Yes they do rock up in their work vans . 98% of which are left on the carpark overnight if the driver has too much. 

These guys spend some serious cash on a Friday teatime. ( normal times).

The place is noisy - everyone shouts .

But by 7

19.30 normality returns.

There are plenty of other pubs where little Sophie and Oliver can go for Friday tea

• Members
9 minutes ago, Traf said:

I'd rather be in a boozer with some builders etc than a bar full of binged-up office wankers who think they're fucking special.

“So I said to Sebastian,Sebastian you have to adapt to the every changing needs of the business,  I need that report on Monday. I gave him no other option”

Did ya aye

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Rudy said:

“So I said to Sebastian,Sebastian you have to adapt to the every changing needs of the business,  I need that report on Monday. I gave him no other option”

Did ya aye

And sebastian,  telling the tale to his pals states, "And Tarquin, the fucking bitch,  tried pulling fucking rank on me, yeah? Sebastian, he said,  i want that report first thing Monday. Well,  I'm fucking livid.  He forgets i have those photos,  I'm fucking sure he does.