Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Player of the year

Ani

For the first time in ages someone could deserve this!

Short list must be Santos, Baptiste, Doyle and Gilks

January additions special award short list-  Lee Dapo John and MJ

Young player no list needed GT

Special award for being so much better than the last one who had the job -  Gilks, Sharon and maybe Evatt - but think Parky was at least dignified as the world went to shit.

I imagine Santos runs away with it, but Baptiste has been at least as good in recent weeks.

Santos by two country miles........he's that good, i think we've started taking him for granted.

Doyle 2nd, his goals have been crucial but he also works his nads off for the team. ( & it's worth pointing out that the times he pops up out on the wing, he's dragging defenders out of position )

Gilks 3rd......not just for his goalkeeping but the positive effect his "organising" has had on the whole defence.

Goals win games; defences win leagues © @Rudy

For that reason, Santos, Gilks and Doyle in that order.

Special mention for Gilks though. I don’t think Santos or Baptiste would play the way they do without having confidence in the man behind them. Look at the games with Crellin in goal.  I think Gilks would win “most influential player of the season”.

• Members
8 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Goals win games; defences win leagues © @Rudy

For that reason, Santos, Gilks and Doyle in that order.

Special mention for Gilks though. I don’t think Santos or Baptiste would play the way they do without having confidence in the man behind them. Look at the games with Crellin in goal.  I think Gilks would win “most influential player of the season”.

It’s so true no team wins a league without being hard to beat 

45 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

Santos by two country miles........he's that good, i think we've started taking him for granted.

Doyle 2nd, his goals have been crucial but he also works his nads off for the team. ( & it's worth pointing out that the times he pops up out on the wing, he's dragging defenders out of position )

Gilks 3rd......not just for his goalkeeping but the positive effect his "organising" has had on the whole defence.

Pretty much this.

Santos clear winner for me.

Had MJ been here since the start then he'd be running him very close.

It's just nice to have so many who are worthy to be nominated, rather than a player winning it because he was the least shit.

Santos has been in the best form most consistently over the course of the season. He was one of the only positives when we were struggling in the early season. For that reason he is the clear POTY.

2nd place Gilks for his influence. If it wasn't for how shite Crellin performed he might not have made the top 3 but the stark contrast highlights his influence.

3rd place Doyle, you can't get 17 goals+ and not make the top 3.

4th Baptiste, matched Santos in recent weeks in terms of his performances but was a bit of a liability at times this season and took him longer to find his way.

Then it's the January lads - MJ, Lee, Dapo all had big impacts. Isgrove has improved a lot. If they'd all been playing since the start of the season it may have been a different story.

2 hours ago, Ani said:

For the first time in ages someone could deserve this!

Short list must be Santos, Baptiste, Doyle and Gilks

January additions special award short list-  Lee Dapo John and MJ

Young player no list needed GT

Special award for being so much better than the last one who had the job -  Gilks, Sharon and maybe Evatt - but think Parky was at least dignified as the world went to shit.

I imagine Santos runs away with it, but Baptiste has been at least as good in recent weeks.

Got me thinking who was the last Bolton player to really deserve the award, did David Wheater ever win one?