Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Headbutting Phil Morris

kent_white

A friend of mine bumped into Phil Morris on the morning of a match day a couple of seasons back up at Middlebrook.

My mate was with his young lad, about 8 or 9 at the time who he'd just picked up from football in the morning and still in all his kit.

It was the week after Morais had scored a worldy if I remember rightly so my mate congratulated him and had a bit if a natter. 

Anyway - the my mates lad just stood their looking star struck and then Phil clocked all his footie gear and asked him how his match went. Young lad had scored a goal and was well chuffed with himself - and apparently PM was asking him all about it, who set him up, what the score was and was chatting to him for a good ten minutes or so. All about the young lad - giving him little tips and stuff and giving him words of encouragement. 

That's proper football hero tackle for me is that! 👍

3 minutes ago, kent_white said:

A friend of mine bumped into Phil Morris on the morning of a match day a couple of seasons back up at Middlebrook.

My mate was with his young lad, about 8 or 9 at the time who he'd just picked up from football in the morning and still in all his kit.

It was the week after Morais had scored a worldy if I remember rightly so my mate congratulated him and had a bit if a natter. 

Anyway - the my mates lad just stood their looking star struck and then Phil clocked all his footie gear and asked him how his match went. Young lad had scored a goal and was well chuffed with himself - and apparently PM was asking him all about it, who set him up, what the score was and was chatting to him for a good ten minutes or so. All about the young lad - giving him little tips and stuff and giving him words of encouragement. 

He must genuinely be one of the nicest blokes in football

• Members
14 minutes ago, kent_white said:

That is class

3 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Yes - they didn't play midweek.

FWIW, he's unlikely to play for Grimsby again - the headbutter, not morris

Phil was subbed at half-time, not sure if that was because the manager blamed him as well or for any other reason 

12 minutes ago, Ani said:

Phil was subbed at half-time, not sure if that was because the manager blamed him as well or for any other reason 

Their manager isn't universally popular over there.

I get that they're bottom & possibly losing their league status, but he appears to not be helping matters.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Their manager isn't universally popular over there.

I get that they're bottom & possibly losing their league status, but he appears to not be helping matters.

His stock has certainly dropped since overachieving with Shrewsbury

5 hours ago, Ani said:

Manager came out blaming both of them which I can't quite get my head around?

Apparently PM was having a pop at their striker for not tracking back and being a lazy twat. If I was his manager I'd have been giving him a pat on the back!

• Members
1 minute ago, kent_white said:

Manager came out blaming both of them which I can't quite get my head around?

Apparently PM was having a pop at their striker for not tracking back and being a lazy twat. If I was his manager I'd have been giving him a pat on the back!

The fact yon mon reacted like that shows that our Phil was right

12 minutes ago, mikepearson said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56772427

Very harsh on PM imo, can't see that he did a lot wrong in the video

Hurst has said he wasn't going to use him next year. So he's being opportunistic & using this as a reason to terminate his contract for free.

He should be praising a player dissatisfied with a lazy & troublesome team mate.

Still, no Phil to face tomorrow.

• Site Supporter
On 16/04/2021 at 19:43, Zico said:

Maybe it's not Phil's place to berate team mates on the pitch 

Save it for the dressing room, don't give the opposition an inch

Dunno what caused it, but 8f someone's not pulling their weight then shouldn't they be told?

We often here of players and managers talking about leaders on the pitch, and sometimes players being royally fucked over for doing something wrong.

Always a balance to be had, but on the face of it, PM seems to have been harshly treated.

Agree with Daz, get him here to coach taking set pieces.