Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bull ****

JOGLER

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Haha yes. My first ever away trip that, will never forget it 

Without going back to the records, if my memory serves me right we were 2-0 down (and they were good for that lead we never really looked at the races) and Mcateer grabbed a goal back. We all knew how massive that was and the Wolves fans were really pissed off and moody outside the ground. It then set us up for one of my best Burnden nights. 

2 minutes ago, desperado said:

Without going back to the records, if my memory serves me right we were 2-0 down (and they were good for that lead we never really looked at the races) and Mcateer grabbed a goal back. We all knew how massive that was and the Wolves fans were really pissed off and moody outside the ground. It then set us up for one of my best Burnden nights. 

I thoight McAteer equalised, before they scored when we were down to 10.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, ZiggyStardust said:

I thoight McAteer equalised, before they scored when we were down to 10.

God you might be right. Did Shilton end up coming on or am I getting completely confused 🤷‍♂️ 😂

1 minute ago, desperado said:

God you might be right. Did Shilton end up coming on or am I getting completely confused 🤷‍♂️ 😂

He was in goal, he came on as sub against Stoke when Davidson (?) got sent off (penultimate league game, draw, Boro won title and only auto promotion spot).

Branagan back in goal, certainly for Reading, and I have no idea about the home game against Wolves, so it may have been him rather than Davidson.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, desperado said:

Thought Shelton came on at the Victoria Ground. Not sure about at Molineux.

The 2nd leg of this, with McGinlay's "we shove" on diver Kelly was such a great feeling.

I drove back with a mate & on the M62, near the M6 junction after Birchwood, we passed several coachloads of desperately disappointed Wolves fans. At one stage my pal started getting a bit over excited & signalling to the coach occupants. Wild faces & waving arms appeared. Lots of pointing & snarling. Not pretty.

Thinking this was quite a jape ceased however as congestion brought all lanes to a halt. Some coaches behind us opened their doors & a couple of dozen Black Country hoolies came charging toward us.

I pulled into the hard shoulder & put a couple of hundred yards between us. Then others pulled out & followed me. I'd invented the 'Smart Motorway !!

6 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

The 2nd leg of this, with McGinlay's "we shove" on diver Kelly was such a great feeling.

I drove back with a mate & on the M62, near the M6 junction after Birchwood, we passed several coachloads of desperately disappointed Wolves fans. At one stage my pal started getting a bit over excited & signalling to the coach occupants. Wild faces & waving arms appeared. Lots of pointing & snarling. Not pretty.

Thinking this was quite a jape ceased however as congestion brought all lanes to a halt. Some coaches behind us opened their doors & a couple of dozen Black Country hoolies came charging toward us.

I pulled into the hard shoulder & put a couple of hundred yards between us. Then others pulled out & followed me. I'd invented the 'Smart Motorway !!

Drove up from Worcester and took my kids to the mother in laws in Blackburn because the missus was working nights. Me and another Worcester white was travelling back with my kids in when we approached their team coach on the M6; my mate was all over it and was hanging out the car winding Graham Taylor up and he was fuming giving my mate the V sign and waving his fist. What a night

• Members

Just sent this article to my Owd fella.

I was only 7 at the time and I was mothering like fuck to take me to an away day but me Mam was saying I was too young and it was a long way to travel.

Anyways me Mam isn’t a football fan, so she didn’t ask any questions when he said he was taking me to the match, she just assumed it was a home game,  me dad  picked us up flew down the motorway.

When we got home my dad, kin’ell your Mam is still awake, and she was walked in she had a face like thunder, and told me to go straight to bed.

Up I went and I said are you in trouble, he said but it’s worth it. Not even a wanderers fan, just a fuckin legend 

• Site Supporter

The away day was a disaster, we lost and bloody Blackburn won the league. I hated it in the pub that night after getting home. Wolves were so much better than us in the 1st leg, i felt like we'd blown it.

The 2nd leg was pure, unadulterated ecstasy once SJM had made it 2-0

• Site Supporter
54 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Thought Shelton came on at the Victoria Ground. Not sure about at Molineux.

Memory slowly coming back! Yes remember the Stoke away game with Shilton, proper moody outside after that one!

Just looked it up, Shilton started the Wolves away playoff leg because Brannigan was injured and had a decent game. Here’s the side;

Bolton Wanderers (5-3-2): Shilton; Green, Stubbs, Bergsson, Dreyer, Phillips; McAteer, McDonald, Alan Thompson; McGinlay (Coyle, 71), Paatelinen. Substitutes not used: Lee, Davison (gk)

Biggish, I get that you may have had a bad day at the office. Wolves absolutely give it their best shot but

we held tight and came home with a great chance to proceed and that is why the Wolves fans were pissed off.

A few days later we were chatting to some Wolves lads in a bouncing General Havelock. They did not fancy their

chances at all. We realised that the job was almost sorted. One of the best ever Burnden nights followed.

2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Whilst we can accept McGinlay had to go, by the same letter of the law so should Kelly as he put his hands to McGinlay's face, which Wolves fans seem to forget.

Seem to remember a storey afterwards about a Wolves fan wanted to sue the league for him not being sent off and going on to score the 'winner' even though at 1-0 we'd have gone through on away goals

Just now, DirtySanchez said:

Whilst we can accept McGinlay had to go, by the same letter of the law so should Kelly as he put his hands to McGinlay's face, which Wolves fans seem to forget.

Seem to remember a storey afterwards about a Wolves fan wanted to sue the league for him not being sent off and going on to score the 'winner' even though at 1-0 we'd have gone through on away goals

Wolves Fans also seem to forget Taylor and co going mad at every tackle in the first leg, and pressurising the ref to book and/or send off our man every time.

Which infuriated Rioch, leading to his 'cauldron of hate' plea.