Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bull ****

JOGLER

44 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Anyone remember Newcastle turning up on a Tuesday night with their latest signing David Ginola?

Greenie kept him right in his box!

This match? Interesting line up which indicates that Bergsson maybe at left back?

It was great fun but I now think that there was a degree of naivety about how strong top flight football was and just maybe a lot of those players weren’t quite premier league quality. 

I had forgotten Bull was still playing for them by the time of that play off semi.  He battered us in the 4th division but had a mare in the Cup game at Molyneux 5 years later missing all those one on one's.

I remember him scoring on his England debut at Hampden.  A group of us celebrating in Southend the day before the SVT final.  He was a good player Bully and comes across as a decent chap.

I was more afraid of Robbie Keane when we used to play Wolves.  He was so much better than everyone else on the pitch, it was frightening. He must have only been a teenager then too.

42 minutes ago, Morizio said:

This match? Interesting line up which indicates that Bergsson maybe at left back?

It was great fun but I now think that there was a degree of naivety about how strong top flight football was and just maybe a lot of those players weren’t quite premier league quality. 

That's the one, although we lost I thought Greenie did really well up against Ginola (who was the Prem's golden boy)

47 minutes ago, Morizio said:

We played our hearts out that season but the opposition could still bring on real talent from the bench to change a game at the death... we always conceded in the last 10 mins, I used to say if that was a rugby match, we'd have got summat

13 minutes ago, Dimron said:

That's the one, although we lost I thought Greenie did really well up against Ginola (who was the Prem's golden boy)

Role reversal at Newcastle though, he scored a cracking header but got torn apart by Ginola. Loved Greenie though always gave 100 percent.

59 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

I had forgotten Bull was still playing for them by the time of that play off semi.  He battered us in the 4th division but had a mare in the Cup game at Molyneux 5 years later missing all those one on one's.

I remember him scoring on his England debut at Hampden.  A group of us celebrating in Southend the day before the SVT final.  He was a good player Bully and comes across as a decent chap.

I was more afraid of Robbie Keane when we used to play Wolves.  He was so much better than everyone else on the pitch, it was frightening. He must have only been a teenager then too.

We had a few pastings by Wolves, that forward line of Mutch, Dennison and Bull was far too good for that league, but it made Mcginlay's heroics all the sweeter.

12 minutes ago, nantwichwhite said:

Role reversal at Newcastle though, he scored a cracking header but got torn apart by Ginola. Loved Greenie though always gave 100 percent.

Not sure if I went to that one, long time ago... I remember being at St James and singing the McAteer song to (their) Les Ferdinand during the kick up "He's here, He's there, he's fkin Dani Behr"... he seemed to like it

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Not sure if I went to that one, long time ago... I remember being at St James and singing the McAteer song to (their) Les Ferdinand during the kick up "He's here, He's there, he's fkin Dani Behr"... he seemed to like it

McAteer song? That was very much a Peter Reid song recycled for any player with three syllables.

18 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Green? Was SJM and Seagraves who scored that day. 

Just checked an you're right. I'm definitely  losing it. I've been thinking it was Greenie ever since the match.

It was a belting goal though?

2 hours ago, Morizio said:

Was ace that night. Felt like we’d proper made it. Lovely new kit, whole ground packed and embankment bubbling with the geordies. Probably best away support I’d seen at that time.

When we scored the paddock went nuts.

Felt like the pinacle after our rise up the leagues. 

What a time.

• Moderators

The defending for that second Wolves goal is fucking embarrassing. Jesus, McGinlay may as well have stayed up top. The fuck is Jimmy Philips doing?

The first shot from Bull would wrongfoot most keepers at that level, but not a top keeper. Which is why Bull never made the step up.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Morizio said:

away fan wise, I'd never seen owt like the number of geordies that turned up on the piss

they were in the beehive at 11am

loads of them in all the away fan pubs in town

remember they picked up the bloke in his hot dog stall near the rail bridge and ran down the street with him and all his gear

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Dimron said:

Anyone remember Newcastle turning up on a Tuesday night with their latest signing David Ginola?

Greenie kept him right in his box!

Apart from him supplying the cross for Ferdinands header in the Lever end.... My memory of that night is Ginola having a fantastic game. 

1 minute ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Apart from him supplying the cross for Ferdinands header in the Lever end.... My memory of that night is Ginola having a fantastic game. 

Mine too.  Some of the flicks and turns he was doing were of the like I'd never seen before.

He was quality.

Very much the darling of the media at the time so wanted him to be shite and/or get kicked into touch.

He was pretty much unplayable.

Ruud Gullit however was a class apart that season.

I never thought we'd see the likes of a player his standard in our shirt.

Wrong - more than a few times, too.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

46 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Mine too.  Some of the flicks and turns he was doing were of the like I'd never seen before.

Ginola was the one everyone wanted to see but I remember thinking Greenie did alright up against him

maybe im not old enough , but why was steve bull getting capped for england when they were only  just in  division two

i remember some story about some crystal palace player (i'll look up who later*) getting picked for england when they were in division three , and he's talking to derbys colin todd and roy mcfarland in some england meet up or training or whatever and either roy or colin stop him talking and go "i'm sorry, but, who are you?".. 

so why was Bull afforded this luxury(!?) ? its not like theres no other forwards..

dont get it

* probably peter taylor (as johnny byrne is too early)

• Site Supporter
30 minutes ago, e2e4 said:

maybe im not old enough , but why was steve bull getting capped for england when they were only  just in  division two

i remember some story about some crystal palace player (i'll look up who later*) getting picked for england when they were in division three , and he's talking to derbys colin todd and roy mcfarland in some england meet up or training or whatever and either roy or colin stop him talking and go "i'm sorry, but, who are you?".. 

so why was Bull afforded this luxury(!?) ? its not like theres no other forwards..

dont get it

Bull had scored something like 54 goals in div 4 followed by another 48 in div 3 so was given his chance in a Rous Cup game v Scotland, basically an end of season friendly. Scored in that too.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, e2e4 said:

dont get it

Bull was good enough for the top flight but wanted to stay with Wolves.