Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bull ****

JOGLER

4 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Bull had scored something like 54 goals in div 4 followed by another 48 in div 3 so was given his chance in a Rous Cup game v Scotland, basically an end of season friendly. Scored in that too.

i looked this up, i cant believe bobby robson only took three forwards to italia 90. 

dont remember that. was alan smith injured ?

bit frightened to go through the squads of teams like chelsea or forest at the time. 

micky quinn scored a lot in that same 89-90 division two season. 

bob taylor (of us , wba) scored a lot in the next division down for bristol city . 

pretty mad looking back , you always find odd stuff out looking for other things. tony philiskirk scored the same amount as bob the next season (was clive mendonca at grimsby at the time ?, why the frigging hell was their goal difference about  18 or so better off than ours)

dont remember that neither. 

crazy

Edited by e2e4
spelt "about" four letters too short

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Forgot about Mendonca... just done a wiki on him 

>>>Mendonca currently works at the Nissan plant in Sunderland<<<

How football has changed

Mark Winstanley worked (or still works) for Warburtons

1 hour ago, Dimron said:

Forgot about Mendonca... just done a wiki on him 

>>>Mendonca currently works at the Nissan plant in Sunderland<<<

How football has changed

".. his uncle was west indian guyanese wicketkeeper ivor mendonca "

wait , what !?

• Site Supporter
On 15/04/2021 at 13:32, JOGLER said:

https://www.footballfancast.com/wolves-news/exclusive-steve-bull-saddest-days-of-career-e61

So happy that we were instrumental in the saddest day of his life 😁😁😁

Well this has brought a massive grin to my chops.

That second leg was the greatest night ever at Burnden Park, bar none.

2 hours ago, Spider said:

Well this has brought a massive grin to my chops.

That second leg was the greatest night ever at Burnden Park, bar none.

I agree, it was without doubt the most charged, anti-opposition, biased, vitriolic atmosphere ever created during my MANY years supporting the Wanderers.

Most teams will never have come close to that night, and yes I include clubs like Celtic/Rangers.

There was so much at stake, it just had to be done, and it was!

• Site Supporter
53 minutes ago, JOGLER said:

I agree, it was without doubt the most charged, anti-opposition, biased, vitriolic atmosphere ever created during my MANY years supporting the Wanderers.

Most teams will never have come close to that night, and yes I include clubs like Celtic/Rangers.

There was so much at stake, it just had to be done, and it was!

Totally agree.

I’m too young to have been involved in what we’re clearly some epic nights in the late 70’s early 80’s - stuff of legend like Ewood Park, so for me and my generation this was THE defining match.

Utter hatred on the terraces matched on the pitch and we had John McGinlay, their torturer in chief with white blood flowing through his veins.

Everything just came together that night and I can still feel the crackle of energy now just reminiscing.

I've just remembered - in those 'terrace' days you had to get in the ground and to your position on the terrace, next to your football mates, early; none of the modern getting to your seat a few minutes before kick-off malarkey.

30 mins before kick-off was normal for me.

But, on this night I knew that everyone was so wound-up that 30 mins wouldn't cut it.... So I got on a full hour before kick-off, and wow, what a good decision - the Burden Paddock was already more than half full with the singing very loud and very proud.

About 40 mins before kick-off the wolves team came out for their pre- emptive warm-up, which caused the already deafening noise to go up a few decibels. The vitriol spewing from the terraces was phenomenal, the hatred was akin to 11 Yorkshire Rippers being in the wolves team after raping your girlfriend and having scored an unjust goal and broken the leg of our best player in the previous game.

I watched the faces and body language of the wolves players and you could clearly see their bewilderment and raw fear.

They had the I'll advised idea to warm-up directly in front of the Burnden Terrace.... And before they got there I'm sure they could FEEL the noise directed at them. One of their fullbacks, Mark Venus, momentarily glanced towards the terrace and the look of fear was written across his face.... And this was all before a ball had been kicked in anger. They didn't hang around for long in front of the terrace.

Edited by JOGLER
Remembered name