Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Heating OFF...

Youri McAnespie

• Members

My Mum and Dad have bought a bungalow off a old couple recently and my Mum said it's a heating system that switches itself on by itself if it gets below a certain temp in the house. Mum said she'd never seen my Dad move as fast to get it switched off. Tight fisted sod 😂

8 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I must be going mard in my dotage, I've still been having the heating on.

Well no more, I'm not playing anymore, it's been almost six months of usury from British Gas now, they can fuck off.

It's off 'til November.

knocked mine off this morning 

its back on now 

cost me about £25 a week but its on 24hrs a day 

@bolton_blondie

Good man.

My old man turned puddlejumper in old age.

His idea of using the central heating was to whack it up to 30c+ (end of dial) when he got up and down to 5c when he went to bed.

His last quarterly gas bill when he pegged it, paid by muggins, was about seven hundred quid...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Members
Just now, Youri McAnespie said:

Good man.

My old man turned puddlejumper.

His idea of using the central heating was to whack it up to 30c+ (end of dial) when he got up and down to 5c when he went to bed.

His last quarterly gas bill when he pegged it, paid by muggins, was about seven hundred quid...

Christ. With my job I go into mostly oaps houses. Can be middle of summer 28° and the buggers will still have heating on full whack but with the windows open. 

Had ours off when it was quite warm the other week but has been back on this week, been pretty chilly in a morning.

Seems we've done quite well out of Green Network going bust and the subsequent switch to EDF. Our dual fuel bill was supposed to go from £55 to £79.84 a month, but instead it's back to £55. No idea if that's related to improved meter readings since getting a brand new boiler.

• Site Supporter

Surely you nobbers have thermostats?

It is set to 21 (missus wanted 22, me 20 so compromise) so if it is cold enough at the usual set times it comes on, if not it doesn't.

I don't touch the heating, in summer it is obvious never on as it is always too warm? 🤷‍♂️

31 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Surely you nobbers have thermostats?

It is set to 21 (missus wanted 22, me 20 so compromise) so if it is cold enough at the usual set times it comes on, if not it doesn't.

I don't touch the heating, in summer it is obvious never on as it is always too warm? 🤷‍♂️

Thermostats don't take account of the high atmospheric pressure mornings in spring or summer where the heating would kick in but be off before getting out of bed time. You need a self-adaptive optimiser for that and they're not common for domestic installations