Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wanderers v Carlisle

gonzo

1 minute ago, Ani said:

Play GT a bit further fwad, so swap him and Lee. I think is what was meant. 

I’m not convinced GT is quite creative enough to play in behind Doyle in such a game tbh which is why I’d be swapping Lee for Delfouneso and leave Williams and Thomason as the two holding. 

37 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I’m not convinced GT is quite creative enough to play in behind Doyle in such a game tbh which is why I’d be swapping Lee for Delfouneso and leave Williams and Thomason as the two holding. 

Lee starts simple as. Not at his best yesterday but if fit he has to start. GT deserves a place. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Lee plays every game if fit, he is quality, does all the little things that go unnoticed, unless Sarcevic is fit I wouldn't change the team.

Don’t mention Lee to the colonel 

• Site Supporter

Personnel and formations not as key as putting your chances away.

Still missing plenty.

I'm interested in comments about Dapo, obviously some talent, and more effective going at the fullback for me, rather than coming inside early, and agree with the idea that he's more effective when getting it further forward. Teams like to press him high and quickly- can see why, as he still needs to learn to get his head up more and be aware of team mates' positions.

At the moment, can see why he's playing in league 2.

Draw would be disappointing (unless those below didn’t win) Carlisle however would take a point being 2 points off 7th

We will edge this I just hope we improve massively in certain areas

I think we need to just keep calm. Earlier in the season we weren’t even creating chances, now we are but are missing them. That won’t last and if we keep creating they will surely go in. Personally, much as I’ve criticised him, we’ve won most of our games with Fonz in the side so I’d leave George on the bench and start Fonz at No10 and drop Lee back with Williams. George has been great but his inclusion seems to have unsettled the team. I personally think next year is George’s time, so until we’ve secured promotion I’d leave him on the bench and keep the team that’s been most productive. Doyle must start because our only other option is Miller and basically he isn’t as good. I did consider him being dropped but that seems to be cutting your nose off to spite your face. He’s still our top scorer so must start.

58 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

I think we need to just keep calm. Earlier in the season we weren’t even creating chances, now we are but are missing them. That won’t last and if we keep creating they will surely go in. Personally, much as I’ve criticised him, we’ve won most of our games with Fonz in the side so I’d leave George on the bench and start Fonz at No10 and drop Lee back with Williams. George has been great but his inclusion seems to have unsettled the team. I personally think next year is George’s time, so until we’ve secured promotion I’d leave him on the bench and keep the team that’s been most productive. Doyle must start because our only other option is Miller and basically he isn’t as good. I did consider him being dropped but that seems to be cutting your nose off to spite your face. He’s still our top scorer so must start.

George hasn’t unsettled the team. Saturday was down to the back four having a mare and missed chances. GT does a lot of work but doesn’t always read the game as much as Lee as you would expect so dropping Lee to the holding midfielder is probably better to support the back 4. 

Apart from a few games we have been shit for large parts of our good run and sneaked results - now is the time for all to step up to the plate or we will be playing league 2 football again next season 

6 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

George hasn’t unsettled the team. Saturday was down to the back four having a mare and missed chances. GT does a lot of work but doesn’t always read the game as much as Lee as you would expect so dropping Lee to the holding midfielder is probably better to support the back 4. 

Apart from a few games we have been shit for large parts of our good run and sneaked results - now is the time for all to step up to the plate or we will be playing league 2 football again next season 

Plenty of new grounds....

8 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

He’s unsettled the team because other movements have been made to accommodate him. Lee has been moved away from his partnership with MJ and the two together both protected the back four and provided an outlet for Santos and Bats. Grimsby’s first goal was an illustration of that where they just ran straight through us to score and that hasn’t happened with Lee and MJ together. Neither could midfield shut down the supply of crosses to their forwards, again something Lee and MJ effect. If George could play a more forward role it would be different but he can’t at this moment, so for me we have to go back to the shape we had when we were winning and probably Delf coming in again. As I say, next season when IE can bring in better players, George can fit in as part of that but for now I’d have him on the bench for when needed.

2 minutes ago, Traf said:

got to win this, Morecambe are at bottom placed 1 defeat in 10 Grimsby tomorrow

then got to not lose at Morecambe at the weekend

Agree Traf, it’s still up to us so it’s a must win tomorrow, then don’t lose to Morecambe. I’m a bit worried Grimsby will be a bit down after beating us then finding Colchester won later but let’s hope not too much to give it a go because they have nothing to lose. Maybe Hurst should show his players where we were in January and where we are now?

10 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

This along with you subsequent post is a very reasoned argument. So fair play to you.

In the same spirit let me highlight why you earlier posts were received so badly. Along with Ratchet you arrived here explaining how we needed to change and create and score more goals. Delf was a particular subject for your views. As a result of injuries we did change, we did create more chances and Delf was dropped. 

You are now saying in essence 'change it back' so presumably you will be happy to say that those arguing  we should not change and that despite winning by 1 goal we were fine were right ? 

Your point on Lee is IMO 100% correct in that protecting the back 4 frees up everyone else to do very defined jobs. At the time you argued we should attack more if we could do it without increasing risk, but the two go hand in hand which was the point others were making. 

I would be a millions times happier if after the changes we had gone and beat Grimsby and maybe with Lee deeper the result would have been the same. Who knows ? 

2 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

Agree Traf, it’s still up to us so it’s a must win tomorrow, then don’t lose to Morecambe. I’m a bit worried Grimsby will be a bit down after beating us then finding Colchester won later but let’s hope not too much to give it a go because they have nothing to lose. Maybe Hurst should show his players where we were in January and where we are now?

Morecambe score and concede goals (avg 2.8 goals per game), suggesting open games. Grimsby thrived on the unusual openness of our play on Saturday and with more luck/composure in front of goal, could have scored plenty. Hopefully they'll bag a few this time.

One could argue that Grimsby need the points more.