Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

European Super League

Spider

47 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

I don't get it. If there is no promotion, relegation or qualification to a european competition on merit, what's the point ? Once the novelty wears off why would anyone - even armchair fans - want to watch glorified exhibition matches ?

If the leagues & football authorities keep their nerve & totally exclude these "elite" wankers from any other competitions,their "elite" league will surely quickly become a meaningless sideshow. 

See that's the perfect end point, it'll go on and on until there is only one team left, a global superteam that just roams the earth sucking up players, playing no one just selling merch and gathering global sponsorship. A mass blackholed vaccum of hyperbole where super sunday never ends and transfer deadline day is every monday until we all get dragged into its commercial mass and the world goes pop. Or something like that.

16 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

In Blackburn, it still is 1994.

For 

1 minute ago, jmjhb said:

Dortmund and surprisingly Leipzig have said no apparently. Still time to get Salford City in there 

Not surprising given German club ownership.  To be honest i don't think Super League will be too fussed about them. ok they might like Bayern in but do they actually have millions of supporters in US, Far East, Africa etc like others? Premier League has highest profile hence at least 6 places plus your Real & Barca. Thats where your money is. Top Italian clubs are skint they need this as well 

• Site Supporter

Amazon will be all over this.

They make Sky look like a local newspaper in comparison.

Bottom line, people will pay to watch the best footballers in the world. Always.

There can be no caterwauling from Murdoch & Co. simply because a bigger lad has walked onto the park and kicked them off it. They've driven the football juggernaut in this direction for 20 years, and aren't suddenly saints.

It's been heading this way for years and little by little this ESL will unveil its plans and we'll realise it's just the way things are going to be.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Max Cherry said:

This has been planned behind the scenes for long time and i bet lawyers for JP Morgan/owners of these clubs think they can take on UEFA/FIFA. The timing has everything to do with this UEFA meeting today. Its a war.

I think that is one that UEFA and FIFA will win 

They can say to those clubs and players they aren't playing in their competitions if they are setting up their own thing 

The big thing will be what happens to players with aspirations on the international stage 

Players like Kane are going to acheive nothing of note in their career if they go down this route

Anyway, its the perfect end to this. Capitalism is based on constant expansion. Football in the 90s dirverted into a path where revenue and capital become the end goal - not winning - but just earning money. Winning stuff is a by-product now.

Constantly expansion needs, well - more growth, so we have things like an increased Champions League format wihich means more dull group games - but fuck it, they will generate more money.

People pay more to see the biggest clubs play each other, so do it more often, create a false competition to house it in and bingo - more money.

If we paused and went back to football clubs being part of towns, cities and communities rather than global entities then we wouldn't have this; but you can't put this genie back in the bottle. We've all drunk the koolaid, from even having our time in the PL sunshine and watching global players on our pitch. Fans want their clubs to have unrealistic expectations and so we all push for more.

Let them do it,  - I mean for a club like ours we might be 15 miles up the road but we might as well be on the moon in relation to Man City. Let them play Juventus every three weeks, I'll be getting more butterfiles and excitiment from us playing Harrogate, and that surely is what supporting a football team is really about.

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Traf said:

So they'll split the new league into 2 groups with play offs at the end to determine the champions, a bit like NFL.

What odds on the play-offs and final being in China or Qatar etc?

I mean eventually they could have 32 teams like the NFL

North, South, East, West conferences. 8 teams in each culminating in play offs and a SuperBowl with all the razzmatazz that goes with it.

Invitation only or - with a team the likes of Monaco who have  a small fan base - a franchise opportunity to bring a Super League club to your town/stadium.

It's the future, Gerry.

#GoTeam

Edited by Spider

• Site Supporter

Now that this legal process has been set up, claiming that the system over here is unlawful, then surely the clubs concerned need to be suspended at a minimum from the Premier league?

As others have said, if breeches of rules have occurred, fines and point docking must follow this season. Then expulsion from the top league has to happen too.

How can these 6 play in the Premier league, when apart from top spot, there is no incentive to achieve anything else as European qualification is guaranteed in the other competition anyhow.

Would make a mockery, so they would have to go.

I agree with others too: the concept is flawed as it would quickly become stale, players going through the motions is what would essentially be exhibition games at best.

Fuck them all.

Expect to see a new club on the site of Salford that brings in Bury, Salford, fcum etc. North Manchester Amalgam as a domestic alternative to disgruntled Utd fans.

New club to the west incorporating Everton and disgruntled Liverpool supporters.

5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Expect to see a new club on the site of Salford that brings in Bury, Salford, fcum etc. North Manchester Amalgam as a domestic alternative to disgruntled Utd fans.

New club to the west incorporating Everton and disgruntled Liverpool supporters.

To be fair it's stuff like this why FCUM (and as lesser extent AFC Liverpool) exist, though I suspect Neville's stance has a lot to do with the potential influx of fans for Salford City. Not a chance any protest clubs would be given a shunt up the pyramid though given the stane of the FA and Premier League is the sanctity of the football pyramid.

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

See that's the perfect end point, it'll go on and on until there is only one team left, a global superteam that just roams the earth sucking up players, playing no one just selling merch and gathering global sponsorship. A mass blackholed vaccum of hyperbole where super sunday never ends and transfer deadline day is every monday until we all get dragged into its commercial mass and the world goes pop. Or something like that.

Trafford Globetrotters

For a land based on laissez faire and free trade, the yanks don’t like competition much in team sports 

Edited by boltondiver

14 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

I see all 12 clubs have resigned from the ECA (European Club Association).

Woodward at Man U has stood down from his role at EUFA.

Fuck them off now, let's see where player loyalties lie, probably we're there is most money, and that is the problem... GREED!! 

...Or as the lovely Suze Dent's word of the day, INGORDIGIOUSNESS = Extreme Greed!

Players are always going to go where the most money is, I don't blame them for that at all

• Site Supporter

I know I should do, but I’m finding it hard to have any interest or strong opinion on it. And I get all the stuff about how this effects the whole pyramid and the repercussions for all of club and international football. And about lining the pockets of the greedy conglomerates.

But I think it’s the fact that I’ve long since stopped giving a shit about the premiership and what these clubs are up to. It just seems so far removed from where BWFC is at the moment and whatever happens it won’t really have any direct influence on my enjoyment and passion, so it just gets a shrug of the shoulders from me. I’m not shocked or surprised.

May be on my own here but I want em to go and be expelled.

The talent fucks off when the money goes bump (oh well as Bolton fans we should be ok with this) 

The money lost rekindles the interest in cup competitions as clubs see as a big source of revenue.

It could be our saviour. In regards to the super league (noted that it’s named after the m62 sport which is embarrassing enough can crack on.

One condition is they must never be allowed back.

since the creation of the premier league everything has gone the way of the big boys and with them removed the potential for something different can be born.

all games back on a Saturday 3pm with perhaps 1 Sunday game. Watch your club live on sat and 1 tele game for everyone. 

8 minutes ago, tomski said:

May be on my own here but I want em to go and be expelled.

The talent fucks off when the money goes bump (oh well as Bolton fans we should be ok with this) 

The money lost rekindles the interest in cup competitions as clubs see as a big source of revenue.

It could be our saviour. In regards to the super league (noted that it’s named after the m62 sport which is embarrassing enough can crack on.

One condition is they must never be allowed back.

since the creation of the premier league everything has gone the way of the big boys and with them removed the potential for something different can be born.

all games back on a Saturday 3pm with perhaps 1 Sunday game. Watch your club live on sat and 1 tele game for everyone. 

I’m with you 100%

• Site Supporter

I'm a bit like Desperado - I don't make a point of watching the premier league, but will if it's on and i'm doing nowt else.

Obviously if Bolton get close to it again in the future we'll all be more interested, but for now the only football club that makes my testicles go fizzy is BWFC, so my attention is there 99% of the time.

The upper levels of football is more recognisable as a load of Hollywood franchises now.