Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

European Super League

Spider

5 hours ago, Pablo said:

Sky have created this monster. Pushing the "top 6" all the time....even when half of that group are not even top 6 in the league.

Pandering ot them as much as possible, contact coverage, prime TV slots etc, its created this monster and handed them that "power".

Although FIFA / UEFA are fuming....they are only so because it does not involve them.

But all domestic league need to stcik together and stand up to these clubs.

Who cares if the sky money reduces next season....clubs will have to change how we all operate, stuff the foreigners, play the kids.

Totally agree Pablo, this is all down to Sky and greed and now even they look like being outdone by the Disney and Netflix of this world. It looks like it is going to happen so it all depends on the football authorities now and how much bottle they’ve got to ostracise these clubs. I actually think Sky will be fine continuing to broadcast national football and it will probably cost much less than they’re paying now. There are still enough big clubs in our leagues to create a competitive competition with the likes of Everton, Villa and Leeds just 3 and maybe this is the time to bring in Rangers and Celtic, who I suspect would prefer the PL/EFL to this new organisation. 

I don’t see this as a negative but a huge positive in giving our football back to the supporters instead of greedy, manipulative foreign owners, in it only for the money. The PL was always only about money and now even that isn’t enough. Let them go and good riddance. These owners don’t care a fig about their home fans. What 40 to 60k once every two weeks when they can get millions, maybe even billions on TV and enjoy all the rights themselves. I don’t blame them and the sooner they do one the better for the rest of us.

Edited by Whitesince63

5 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Totally agree Pablo, this is all down to Sky and greed and now even they look like being outdone by the Disney and Netflix of this world. It looks like it is going to happen so it all depends on the football authorities now and how much bottle they’ve got to ostracise these clubs. I actually think Sky will be fine continuing to broadcast national football and it will probably cost much less than they’re paying now. There are still enough big clubs in our leagues to create a competitive competition with the likes of Everton, Villa and Leeds just 3 and maybe this is the time to bring in Rangers and Celtic, who I suspect would prefer the PL/EFL to this new organisation. 

I don’t see this as a negative but a huge positive in giving our football back to the supporters instead of greedy, manipulative foreign owners, in it only for the money. The PL was always only about money and now even that isn’t enough. Let them go and good riddance. These owners don’t care a fig about their home fans. What 40 to 60k once every two weeks when they can get millions, maybe even billions on TV and enjoy all the rights themselves. I don’t blame them and the sooner they do one the better for the rest of us.

The issue is this is going to totally fuck up the current finicial balance. Clubs like everton will be fucked if Man Utd etc took their ball and played elsewhere - Villa, Leeds, Everton, West Ham don't have the pull to ask for the sort of broadcast rights the league currently can, which means their players will leave and you'll find much depleted teams, the overall quality will go down. Now, will fans put up with that even if it means their teams actually matter more to their community? Call me a cynic but I'm not sure.

It won't matter to us in our lowly position currently, but there's a huge ripple effect for those in the PL who are not invited to this gangbang.

Saying bye bye, whilst understandable is going to be hugely problematic. The clubs know this and so have the league over a barrel. Who is going to blink first?

10 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Pablo had better watch out though, given Everton are one of the wost performing wage/revenue clubs in the PL. He'd better pray that the Sky broadcast money keeps washing through the league.

Good, it goes pop and we play in the dog n duck league you are in, you are all still living and breathing.

1 hour ago, Pablo said:

My lad can't wait for a Bolton season ticket once all is ok to do so.....

I took my mates lad (United fan) to a few games few years back he ended up getting a season ticket. Now it’s only a U12 £50 or whatever but with the other shite food etc it all contributes

1 minute ago, Pablo said:

Good, it goes pop and we play in the dog n duck league you are in, you are all still living and breathing.

Fair enough, I think that's great - but will every fan? I hope I'm pleasently surprised because when push has come to shove over recent times fans crumble - look at the Ashley out campaign, the Yellow and Green Glazer out stuff. People still went, bought shirts, cheered new expensive signings, complained when they didn't get in the top four despite the plain economics meaning its difficult. I mean, people talk about Leicester but their wage bill was £150 m and their revenue total was £179 m - basically, the bigger clubs were run 'better' in that only over hald their revnue was spent on wages. Leicester (and Everton I'm sorry to say) are allowed to buy who they can bcause of Sky and rich external money men who get into the game because of Sky etc 

Is everyone ready for a complete re-set, and what the hell would even look like?

12 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

I took my mates lad (United fan) to a few games few years back he ended up getting a season ticket. Now it’s only a U12 £50 or whatever but with the other shite food etc it all contributes

We gave up our season tickets at Goodison a couple of years ago now. He misses the match day, but he is 16 now, so is going to go the Unibol with his mates....none of them are Bolton fans either really.

Edited by Pablo

4 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Fair enough, I think that's great - but will every fan? I hope I'm pleasently surprised because when push has come to shove over recent times fans crumble - look at the Ashley out campaign, the Yellow and Green Glazer out stuff. People still went, bought shirts, cheered new expensive signings, complained when they didn't get in the top four despite the plain economics meaning its difficult. I mean, people talk about Leicester but their wage bill was £150 m and their revenue total was £179 m - basically, the bigger clubs were run 'better' in that only over hald their revnue was spent on wages. Leicester (and Everton I'm sorry to say) are allowed to buy who they can bcause of Sky and rich external money men who get into the game because of Sky etc 

Is everyone ready for a complete re-set, and what the hell would even look like?

Everton bought who they wanted before sky anyway, we do have the advantage of having a big fan base.

IF money went, than it would level alot of the prem again.

Obviously the big waged foreigners would go....not arsed about most of them anyway. Rather play young lads every game...couldn't care less if we are in europe or mid-table.

Edited by Pablo

Just now, Pablo said:

Everton bought who they wanted before sky anyway, we do have the advantage of having a big fan base.

IF money went, than it would level alot of the prem again.

Obviously the big waged foreigners would go....not arsed about most of them anyway. Rather play young lads every game...couldn't care less if we are in europe or mid-table.

Fan base has got nothing to do with who you can buy, that's the model for the 19th century. Its gone, unless you have real global reach, which given your revenue shows you just don't have it in the same way as the bigger clubs.

Its about money, and broadcast money. You can buy who you can because of the PL broadcast rights. Over 85% of Everton's budget goes on just wages - that's nuts. It won't level anything, it'll just cripple domestic leagues for a very long time. Any clubs like Everton will reduce in size as the super clubs capture more and more of the market. It'll shrink the fan bases of those not included, not grow them. That's why they are doing this.

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

Fan base has got nothing to do with who you can buy, that's the model for the 19th century. Its gone, unless you have real global reach, which given your revenue shows you just don't have it in the same way as the bigger clubs.

Its about money, and broadcast money. You can buy who you can because of the PL broadcast rights. Over 85% of Everton's budget goes on just wages - that's nuts. It won't level anything, it'll just cripple domestic leagues for a very long time. Any clubs like Everton will reduce in size as the super clubs capture more and more of the market. It'll shrink the fan bases of those not included, not grow them. That's why they are doing this.

If the club cant afford it, they will sell those players.

Its debt that would kill us, but we dont have any of that.

If the money goes, it goes for the other club too.....then the main income would be from the fans, thats when the fan base would matter more than ever.

2 minutes ago, Pablo said:

If the club cant afford it, they will sell those players.

Its debt that would kill us, but we dont have any of that.

If the money goes, it goes for the other club too.....then the main income would be from the fans, thats when the fan base would matter more than ever.

That's a really nice thought, but I think its a bit naive and generationally we will see a huge difference. This isn't going to benefit anyone and I have a feeling it's going to be the midtable PL clubs who will be hit first and hit hardest.

10 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Man Utd's stockmarket value went up on the annoucement of the Super League.

This is what matters now, if anyone tells you any different they are fooling themselves.

Football survived long before Sky, would it be so bad to go back to clubs surviving on the size of their support? Sure we won't get to see the best players in the world but if my club is winning I don't give a fuck 

Just now, Not in Crawley said:

That's a really nice thought, but I think its a bit naive and generationally we will see a huge difference. This isn't going to benefit anyone and I have a feeling it's going to be the midtable PL clubs who will be hit first and hit hardest.

You are goint to extreme with it.

We have a high % wages to TO, becuase we are propped up by rich owners, and they know what they are doing, and can throw more in at any time, like they are doing.

Sky money is not disapearing, it may drop next year a bit, but not like what you are hinting at.

We would be fine, we are not run by Bill and his re-mortgaged house anymore.

3 minutes ago, Revelredne1961 said:

Football survived long before Sky, would it be so bad to go back to clubs surviving on the size of their support? Sure we won't get to see the best players in the world but if my club is winning I don't give a fuck 

It did, but look at the world post 92, as I say, are fans ready for the chnage that is going to be needed to come in? Or rather will they sit at home and pay subs to watch the biggest teams in the world play each other in Hong Kong? I don't know - some will stay and support, but we've seen how passive fans have been with these changes over the years that have benefitted clubs and shareholders but not them. Like I say, I hope I'm wrong.

5 minutes ago, Pablo said:

You are goint to extreme with it.

We have a high % wages to TO, becuase we are propped up by rich owners, and they know what they are doing, and can throw more in at any time, like they are doing.

Sky money is not disapearing, it may drop next year a bit, but not like what you are hinting at.

We would be fine, we are not run by Bill and his re-mortgaged house anymore.

I'm not really, you just have to peel back a bit of the numbers - if the product is massively diminshed, so will be the money - why do you think they are doing this? I'm not saying the likes of Everton will go pop but I've a feeling clubs will shrink into domestic relevance. That might be great for some, but I'd be interested to see the boardrooms of Villa, Leeds, Everton, Leicester, West Ham right now.

The next few weeks are going to 

3 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Man Utd's stockmarket value went up on the annoucement of the Super League.

This is what matters now, if anyone tells you any different they are fooling themselves.

Not sure anyone is doubting the numbers, especially in the short/medium term for the elite.

I would challenge that 'product' that will be delivered will be a massively sanitised version. As much as this saddens me I take some comfort that these fuckers will never know what a 1-0 win at Salford followed by 2-1 defeat at Grimsby feels like. The problem of removing emotion from the 'business' you also will over time reduce the marketability of the product. 

5 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I'm not really, you just have to peel back a bit of the numbers - if the product is massively diminshed, so will be the money - why do you think they are doing this? I'm not saying the likes of Everton will go pop but I've a feeling clubs will shrink into domestic relevance. That might be great for some, but I'd be interested to see the boardrooms of Villa, Leeds, Everton, Leicester, West Ham right now.

The next few weeks are going to 

Thats all those clubs are anyway, so no loss.

Just now, Ani said:

Not sure anyone is doubting the numbers, especially in the short/medium term for the elite.

I would challenge that 'product' that will be delivered will be a massively sanitised version. As much as this saddens me I take some comfort that these fuckers will never know what a 1-0 win at Salford followed by 2-1 defeat at Grimsby feels like. The problem of removing emotion from the 'business' you also will over time reduce the marketability of the product. 

I agree, but think of how people complained about the sanitised PL, and the numbers watching in on TV - how that has grown and grown? I agree they are taking a huge gamble but its not one they would have taken without due dilligence - and say the market goes pop, the owners would have made their money. Why do they care about Salford or Liverpool? High level asset stripping possibly - but these are barnded cash cows not football clubs - that's just a vauge backdrop.

Just now, Pablo said:

Thats all those clubs are anyway, so no loss.

But think over time, smaller league, smaller money, the glamour elsewhere.....you see it in every Bolton born Utd fan, every Londoner wearing a Liverpool shirt. It'll start a more concerted domestic contraction, which is why those clubs will be up in arms.

• Site Supporter

this WILL happen. its just a matter of time until the existing "authorities" are paid off and an agreement is made.

unfortunatley the number of daytrippers for the "super clubs" outweighs the real fans. therefore there is FAR more money to be made, even if they do piss off the die hard. so this is not gonna go away.

yesterday is the end of football as we know it.

not only is neville opinion totally insignificant. due to the size of this deal, so is the the voice of sky. they are just gutted they will miss out on the broadcasting rights.

Edited by HomerJay

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

But think over time, smaller league, smaller money, the glamour elsewhere.....you see it in every Bolton born Utd fan, every Londoner wearing a Liverpool shirt. It'll start a more concerted domestic contraction, which is why those clubs will be up in arms.

Those super league clubs will be back way before that happens.

Someone has to be bottom of that league...do you think clubs used to being the top, will be happy to be bottom of this new thing !?! Its not as rosey for everyone as it seems.

1 hour ago, leigh white said:

I waited a long time for a Bolton v Man U fixture in the mid 70s, going to be well fucked now.

The thought of never crossing paths with those window lickers is quite a tempting proposition if I’m honest