Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Lockdown/ Corona Books

Not in Crawley

I wasn't trying to be funny.

Allen did it out of desperation - him or the dog.

They (The Norwegians - a nation that does things that would make a maggot gag) planned the dog-eating into their itinerary sat back in the warmth of their Oslo lair.

That's why Scott is feted and Admundsen forgotten - he got there by cheating and eating those who got his lazy arse there, planned too, not out of desperation.

It's true about the books as well.

I bet you read a book a week.

44 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I wasn't trying to be funny.

Allen did it out of desperation - him or the dog.

They (The Norwegians - a nation that does things that would make a maggot gag) planned the dog-eating into their itinerary sat back in the warmth of their Oslo lair.

That's why Scott is feted and Admundsen forgotten - he got there by cheating and eating those who got his lazy arse there, planned too, not out of desperation.

It's true about the books as well.

I bet you read a book a week.

Usually or every couple.

• Site Supporter

Just reading Outsider by Stephen King. Finished The Institute by him last week and both are superb.

He can be hard work at times but these are very easy. Dunno how he churns them out like he does.

Prisoners of Geography is a must read if you want to know why Russia is the biggest threat we face.

37 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Get into decent sci-fi. You'll never be short of books if you read one a day for the rest of your life! 😁

I've tried. I love sci-fi films, but I just can't on board with books. Not saying they are not brilliant, just can't do it - strange as I love epic fantasy novels.

As me and Dimron discussed the other day, the Slow Horses series by Mick Herron. 

Joe Abercrombie's stuff. Bordering on fantasy but never strays too far into any really mad dragon type shit.

Just finished 'Our Boys'. Book about the Parachute Regiment in the Falklands. Really interesting.

Next up, The Long Ships. Book about the Vikings written back in the 50s. Supposed to be a classic, we'll see.

Edited by mickbrown

We did Mick Herron the "Slough House" the other day... better written than the earlier Mick Herron IMO.

The Spy & The Traitor by Ben Macintyre is a crackin' read.

My year included "V2" by Robert Harris, good historical novel but not up there with "Munich"

Also William Ryan's the "12th Department", pretty bloody like the others in the series.

An interesting little read (you can do it in one sitting) must be "The Order of The Day" by Eric Vuillard covering the diplomatic build up to WW2

Cheer Up Peter Reid.. I must admit to scan reading most of the Everton stuff but enjoyed his account of laying into Boris Johnson when managing a charity game

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Spider said:

He can be hard work at times but these are very easy. Dunno how he churns them out like he does.

I Reckon he's got a magic typewriter attached to his head that knocks them out in his sleep, like in The Tommyknockers 

not read nout in last 12 months 

in GERMANY did one every couple of weeks 

90% Autobiography's 

Big Sam's 

Reid's

Gary Speed's 😥😪

Stubbs

Prof Steve Peters ...The Chimp Paradox 

Walking down the Many Road 

Gazza's

Big Dunk's

Alan Hansen's

Alan Kennedy's 

Joe Fagan 

Steve Heighway 

• Members
20 hours ago, Spider said:

Just reading Outsider by Stephen King. Finished The Institute by him last week and both are superb.

Prisoners of Geography is a must read if you want to know why Russia is the biggest threat we face.

Saw an interview with him a while back and he said he treats it like a full time regular Joe job.

Hes created this whole universe where he just can pick ideas from, take real life events and stories and create a synopsis from them and go from there

Said he writes 5 days a week, even if it’s just an idea with mind mapping and he’ll go back to the ones he stopped at and go again.

The Dark Tower series took up a year of my life but it’s brilliant. 

If you haven’t already I’d recommended Mr Mercedes 

28 minutes ago, Judge Fudge said:

Read The Charity Committee and Judas Pig. Best true crime books I’ve read. Also done the Paul Massey one by Bernard O’Mahoney which wasn’t too bad, gave a decent insight into the Salford underworld and shattered a few myths about the man.

" Rise of the Foot Soldiers " was quite a good film.

3 hours ago, Sweep said:

Is it as dull as I'd expect it to be, or it it half interesting?

It’s actually alright so far. Decent insight into his BWFC days, missing out on Europe because of Heysel, Hand of God and just how many injuries he had. Not reached his managerial career yet. Only cost £1.99 on kindle so if it turns shite it’s no big loss

• Site Supporter
20 hours ago, Dimron said:

We did Mick Herron the "Slough House" the other day... better written than the earlier Mick Herron IMO.

The Spy & The Traitor by Ben Macintyre is a crackin' read.

My year included "V2" by Robert Harris, good historical novel but not up there with "Munich"

Also William Ryan's the "12th Department", pretty bloody like the others in the series.

An interesting little read (you can do it in one sitting) must be "The Order of The Day" by Eric Vuillard covering the diplomatic build up to WW2

Cheer Up Peter Reid.. I must admit to scan reading most of the Everton stuff but enjoyed his account of laying into Boris Johnson when managing a charity game

Ben Macintyre writes some good stuff, Agent Zig Zag one of my favourite reads.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Rudy said:

Saw an interview with him a while back and he said he treats it like a full time regular Joe job.

Hes created this whole universe where he just can pick ideas from, take real life events and stories and create a synopsis from them and go from there

Said he writes 5 days a week, even if it’s just an idea with mind mapping and he’ll go back to the ones he stopped at and go again.

The Dark Tower series took up a year of my life but it’s brilliant. 

If you haven’t already I’d recommended Mr Mercedes 

I don't think I've read a Stephen King book where the main character wasn't an author