Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Our Best Attendance Away.

leigh white

4 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

It's part of the Bolton-Linnyshaw bike path now, so metalled and streetlit but still dicey imo...

All the hospital staff go for cigs at one end and kids burn wheely bins and drink vodka at the other.

Strangely any K2 escapees would always shun the ginnel, heading down for the bright lights of Greenland or Bradford roads instead.

Even the K2 escapees had sense in that respect.

On 21/04/2021 at 07:29, radcliffewhite1 said:

BlackburnĀ 

Brum in cupĀ 

Brum in the cup which game would that be the Fulham replay that was played there in the 70sĀ Ā ?Ā 
the only other one I can think of was the FA quarter final but there wasnā€™t a big following thereĀ 

Unofficially, and none ticketĀ matches only, 1stĀ Blackburn then Huddersfield.Ā Most ofĀ the other matches quoted were ticket only.
For me, the Huddersfield match was the one that made me realise theĀ potential support we really had.Ā 
Unbelievable noiseĀ we made that night.

6 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Unofficially, and none ticketĀ matches only, 1stĀ Blackburn then Huddersfield.Ā Most ofĀ the other matches quoted were ticket only.
For me, the Huddersfield match was the one that made me realise theĀ potential support we really had.Ā 
Unbelievable noiseĀ we made that night.

Wasnā€™t it an afternoon?

5 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Wasnā€™t it an afternoon?

No a Tuesday night I think from memory.

Think Iā€™ve told this before but we hitched a liftĀ from outside Burnden. A mini van I think. After the match,Ā in the van,Ā we were approached by a group of angry HuddersfieldĀ fans and the guy in the frontĀ passenger seat pulled out a gun from the glove compartment and pointed itĀ outĀ of the window. The Huddersfield fans disappearedĀ quickly.Ā It mayĀ have been an air gun. ItĀ may haveĀ been something bigger. We didnā€™t ask and nothing wasĀ said.Ā 

Ā One that i don't think has been mentioned, & not the largest in numbers, but was one of the most impressive turnouts, was the night replay down at Southampton Ā ( FelgateĀ šŸ˜¬Ā )Ā  . That was in the early days of our comeback but showed the potential of our support.

2 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Nope itĀ was a Tuesday night. Assuming we are talking aboutĀ the 1971Ā match?

Thought we were talking FA Cup 76!

2 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

It's a synthesis of ibogain spliced with ayhuasca that's had two moles of hydrogen rearranged - laced with oxazepam as a chaser to float you down on a silver benzo cloud...

Street name - Ginnel.

Ā£900 a gram.

Craft aleites love it.

Got any yellow bentines?

6 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I vaguely remember when Sutty was at large my old man forbade my mam from going to work via THE ginnel, not just a ginnel, THE ginnel.

Which connects Lever Edge/Green Lane area to Townleys before any Plumb Lane 'jokes'.

I'm sure I remember some ripper graffiti in Bolton though I may have imagined that.

Sutty's antics and John Lennon being shot are amongst my earliest memories.

There was another ginnel leading up to Plodder Lane.

10 hours ago, boltondiver said:

Thought we were talking FA Cup 76!

Yep youā€™re right. Mixing up the 71 LC and the 76 FAC. Went to both and the 71 was at night. The 76 was in Jan and Ā itā€™s always dark in Yorkshire in winter.šŸ˜Š

1 minute ago, Boby Brno said:

Yep youā€™re right. Mixing up the 71 LC and the 76 FAC. Went to both and the 71 was at night. The 76 was in Jan and Ā itā€™s always dark in Yorkshire in winter.šŸ˜Š

Couldnā€™t understand why you said it was night game, didnā€™t realise we played them LC in 71.Ā How many did we take?Ā 

2 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

They prefer the dark and gloom!

2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Couldnā€™t understand why you said it was night game, didnā€™t realise we played them LC in 71.Ā How many did we take?Ā 

Not as many. The att.Ā was 10,000 in 71 and just under 28,000 in 76.Ā 

5 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Not as many. The att.Ā was 10,000 in 71 and just under 28,000 in 76.Ā 

I was at the 76 game, mentioned it before, we were on Coach from LH waiting to join motorway at kearsley roundabout I counted 100 coaches passing below before we got on.Ā 
Ā 

The 71 game was followed in the next round by the city game. Good excuse to post this link again, comments after the article are worth a read as well. (Sadly I wasnā€™t yet a Wanderer in 71 so didnā€™t get to this game)Ā shame thereā€™s no tvĀ footage.Ā 
Ā 

https://www.citytilidie.com/latest/bolton-wanderers-away-league-cup-3rd-round-1971-to-72/

Edited by Mounts Kipper

11 hours ago, Traf said:

There was another ginnel leading up to Plodder Lane.

It crosses Minerva Road (THE ginnel) and continues all the way to Linnyshaw (give or take a few more road crossings).

But, yeah, you're right, their is A ginnel - less dodgy as the previous section as there's houses on side and the hospital on the other, and there's not that much saving cutting up it compared to going up Broadway etc. whilst the previous bit saves loads compared to going through Greenland or Bradford roads but is sided by Townley's farm and the railway hill and is...there used to be a word for it, like quiet, can't remember...

Anyhow fuck knows how trains got under the bridge at Lever Edge Lane to soon end up on that hill, must've been some incline.

Apparently some Midlands chancer has bought that land, the hill I mean, our land as taxpayers by rights (as former railway land) and has planning for a 'conference centre'.

I used to think it'd never happen due to the cost of clearing the hill, but they flattened the opposite side you refer to.

It's up for sale with planning for housing with a crackers asking price (the levelled land next to your ginnel).

Ā 

Edited by Youri McAnespie