Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Our Best Attendance Away.

leigh white

On 22/04/2021 at 15:18, Duck Egg said:

Cardiff was 43 years ago yesterday apparently.  Anyone off here go? It must have felt like we'd blown it again coming away from there that day?

The Middlesbrough game was a night match iirc? Did we take that many?

About 8,000 at Cardiff, things got a bit naughty outside . Coach was 'bricked' on the way out of Cardiff, couple of windows smashed. Fucking freezing all the way home. They scored from a free kick iirc. A real grass cutter from what seemed like the halfway line. We were all in a paddock down the side of the ground as building work was going on. Free and plenty  ammo for the inbreds. Everytime I went for a pint in the ground (good old days), a copper at the side of me said, 'get me one' and gave me a quid note. He was well goosed by full time, one of the nicest coppers I've ever met, at football or otherwise.

• Site Supporter
45 minutes ago, Offshore said:

About 8,000 at Cardiff, things got a bit naughty outside . Coach was 'bricked' on the way out of Cardiff, couple of windows smashed. Fucking freezing all the way home. They scored from a free kick iirc. A real grass cutter from what seemed like the halfway line. We were all in a paddock down the side of the ground as building work was going on. Free and plenty  ammo for the inbreds. Everytime I went for a pint in the ground (good old days), a copper at the side of me said, 'get me one' and gave me a quid note. He was well goosed by full time, one of the nicest coppers I've ever met, at football or otherwise.

I remember them waiting on the park outside the ground but soon pegged it when our lads charged them. 

9 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

It crosses Minerva Road (THE ginnel) and continues all the way to Linnyshaw (give or take a few more road crossings).

But, yeah, you're right, their is A ginnel - less dodgy as the previous section as there's houses on side and the hospital on the other, and there's not that much saving cutting up it compared to going up Broadway etc. whilst the previous bit saves loads compared to going through Greenland or Bradford roads but is sided by Townley's farm and the railway hill and is...there used to be a word for it, like quiet, can't remember...

Anyhow fuck knows how trains got under the bridge at Lever Edge Lane to soon end up on that hill, must've been some incline.

Apparently some Midlands chancer has bought that land, the hill I mean, our land as taxpayers by rights (as former railway land) and has planning for a 'conference centre'.

I used to think it'd never happen due to the cost of clearing the hill, but they flattened the opposite side you refer to.

It's up for sale with planning for housing with a crackers asking price (the levelled land next to your ginnel).

Was working back to back with that ginnel today, Colchester Drive. Think it stretches round and comes out next to Grantchester Drive 

12 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

Was working back to back with that ginnel today, Colchester Drive. Think it stretches round and comes out next to Grantchester Drive 

Ginnel comes out on Stratford Close. A mate of mine lived on that close.

They're the 'new' houses up at the top? The ginnel splits at one point to access those roads...

There's some reet crap street names in Bolton, totally irrelevant in most cases.

They built a little cul-de-sac on what was Great Lever Conny Club (which would've more rightly called G/L Snooker Club - That's the only reason folk supped there)...

The area between the gollies, Martyr's field and Bishops/Bradford Road has long been known as 'The Dell'...

What do they call this new street?

Westmoreland Drive.

It'll be Treecrush Dive when those huge trees on the opposite bank of Will Hey Brook come down. One's already fooked and covered in a nice allweather ivy sail for winter storms.