Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Boilers/Heating advice

JimmyRiddle

Any WW heating engineers?

I have two zones in my house, one rads and one underfloor heating which were working fine from the old combi boiler, which then failed and needed replacing.

Ever since the new ATAG boiler has been installed we been getting no end of 'flow control' errors, and very little temp in the underfloor.

After many weeks of resetting the boiler and getting the boiler looked at under warranty, the latest guy says the original plumber has done it wrong. And the zone valves should be on the flow leg, and not return as they are; as such the flow and return temps are not as expected so boiler errors?

However, quick google check shows valves can be fitted on either leg, so is he also giving me duff advice?

Do I need to go back to original guy and get him back to do the pipework? Has he done it wrong? And why would this impact on my UFH and not my rads?

Engineer said because normal rads bi-direction but UFH isn't?? Is that correct as there is some heat getting to.floor just boiler is off more that it's on?

Thanks for any advice.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Any WW heating engineers?

I have two zones in my house, one rads and one underfloor heating which were working fine from the old combi boiler, which then failed and needed replacing.

Ever since the new ATAG boiler has been installed we been getting no end of 'flow control' errors, and very little temp in the underfloor.

After many weeks of resetting the boiler and getting the boiler looked at under warranty, the latest guy says the original plumber has done it wrong. And the zone valves should be on the flow leg, and not return as they are; as such the flow and return temps are not as expected so boiler errors?

However, quick google check shows valves can be fitted on either leg, so is he also giving me duff advice?

Do I need to go back to original guy and get him back to do the pipework? Has he done it wrong? And why would this impact on my UFH and not my rads?

Engineer said because normal rads bi-direction but UFH isn't?? Is that correct as there is some heat getting to.floor just boiler is off more that it's on?

Thanks for any advice.

Zone valves should never be fitted on the return. Google may have sent you to something completely different.

In simple terms, the zone valve decides when and where to send the hot water - without a zone valve on the flow 'leg' it will be sending water to both zones. The priority in this instance will always be hot water to taps/showers and explains why your UFH is getting little or no heat.

Your original guy has made a really really basic error. I mean, worryingly basic.

The pipework is probably fine, but the zone valves need putting in the correct locations - close to the boiler.

DM me if needs be, happy to ring you mate.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Spider said:

Zone valves should never be fitted on the return. Google may have sent you to something completely different.

In simple terms, the zone valve decides when and where to send the hot water - without a zone valve on the flow 'leg' it will be sending water to both zones. The priority in this instance will always be hot water to taps/showers and explains why your UFH is getting little or no heat.

Your original guy has made a really really basic error. I mean, worryingly basic.

The pipework is probably fine, but the zone valves need putting in the correct locations - close to the boiler.

What a top banana answer. Always pays to consult an expert.

• 1 year later...
On 22/04/2021 at 12:39, Spider said:

Hi pal, I've just booked to have a hybrid solar system fitted and will need a immersion for the Eddi to feed.  I live in a 2 bed bungalow and there's only me, I'm out all day.  I only have showers so reckon I won't need a huge one.  Can you recommend one for me please, fitted and can be heated solar.  Thank you 😊 

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

Hi pal, I've just booked to have a hybrid solar system fitted and will need a immersion for the Eddi to feed.  I live in a 2 bed bungalow and there's only me, I'm out all day.  I only have showers so reckon I won't need a huge one.  Can you recommend one for me please, fitted and can be heated solar.  Thank you 😊 

Alreet. What size water tank is it going in?

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Breightmet Boy said:

sorry, I've already got a water tank in 

You’ll only need a 3kW immersion.

Are you getting a diverter to send your solar power to it? iBoost or similar?

is it a vented tank? (Old copper unit in a foam jacket)

16 minutes ago, Spider said:

You’ll only need a 3kW immersion.

Are you getting a diverter to send your solar power to it? iBoost or similar?

is it a vented tank? (Old copper unit in a foam jacket)

I've not bought one yet, waiting till nearer they install the solar.  Yes, I've bought a Eddi to divert to the tank when the battery is full.