Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Flour Cakes or Barms in Bolton

embankment

12 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I beg your pardon. I live in a very leafy south london suburb in a very nice townhouse with off road parking and delightful views over the Ravensbourne valley and across to Crystal Palace and pay through the nose for the priviledge, I'll have you know.

Anyway, was out early going to the hospital this morning so I treated myself to breakfast from the local cafe. A lovely bacon and halloumi roll. Another breakfast of champions.

So good did it sound, a local workman type person said - that sounds lovely and ordered one for his good self.

It's even got some lovely 70s typography. Its worth a trip if you are ever in the area (just avoid sat morning when it gets invaded by Park runners) Bridge Cafe image

Crawley's gaff is the middle one...

The halloumi-fuelled workman is atop his abode fitting an extension (two wheelie bins sellotaped together).

Sunningdale-Ave-demolition-before.jpg

3 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I bought some halloumi from Morrisons. Dry fried it on a cast iron griddle and...

It was indeed shit.  Any food which makes a squeaking noise when you bite is either rubber or still alive. 

You're supposed to marinate it in purple olive and pomegranate jus first you heathen.

That brickie told me that.

Halloumi is so nice, grilled on a salad is best. I'm not a fan of halloumi chips, especially frozen packet ones. Easy enough to make a home better if you fancy them but they are better with other things I reckon.

If folk do a salad, harissa and aubergines go well. I wouldn't say it's massively healthy, mind you.

Edited by Not in Crawley

• Members
22 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I bought some halloumi from Morrisons. Dry fried it on a cast iron griddle and...

It was indeed shit.  Any food which makes a squeaking noise when you bite is either rubber or still alive. 

It goes through me like a child’s laughter.

Awful stuff 

39 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I bet you both danced a merry jig when KFC brought out the 'boneless bucket' range...

I bet you dislike fish too.

😡

I don't eat KFC or McDonalds or other such shite.

I do eat fish, though. I just don't like mushrooms.

28 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

We do it to make ourselves feel morally superior.

If we are talking best breakfasts, Dishoom is the best there is - the bacon naans are mindblowing https://www.dishoom.com/menu/breakfast/

Dishoom is Meh. One good dish on the breakfast menu is the keema curry. 

the main menu is very disappointing and vastly overpriced. 

that said the mrs likes it. I just think it’s all bland and bit shit. 

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Now, mushrooms cooked in cream with chives and mustard, served on sourdough toast is a breakfast of champions.

Apparently

a mushroom a day keeps the cancer away

according to latest boffins theory 

raw on a salad with loads of radish . Bliss 

Just now, Mona said:

Apparently

a mushroom a day keeps the cancer away

according to latest boffins theory 

raw on a salad with loads of radish . Bliss 

Those little ones with the brown tips we used to pick in Queens Park were pretty good but made you giggle a lot

2 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I dunno why couscous is seen as a food of the perfumed poncery.

It's as cheap as rice or pasta and it takes nought but the boiling of a kettle to cook.

Bland as fuck unadulterated like, but so is rice, pasta...

Grains for your brains.

It's decent as a lunch during the week - as you say cheep as chips. Cost nowt and makes tons. Had it loads when commuting, plus goes with loads of left over stuff as a one pot meal.