Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Social Media Blackout

gonzo

• Site Supporter

Watching that video- IW talks about those posting stuff not understanding what their actions mean (words to that effect). No doubt for some that will be the case, however, surely plenty of these nob hears know precisely what they are doing, and do so because they get a kick from it.

Whether that is borne out of racism, or just a hatred of all things; self and society, I don't know, but I'm not sure this action will actually have the effect they want. Will the weirdos actually be getting an even bugger buzz from it and the high profile nature of the action?

Ultimately, these companies will end up having to collect details of account holders if people stop using the services. If they don't, then apart from legislation what's going to make them?

BSA was speaking the other day and said of itself this action may not yield a great deal, but if clubs etc keep doing it, and the movement grown then it might have an effect.

As said above; hit them in the pocket.

49 minutes ago, Carlos said:

I don't think even they know their business model tbf. They've grown out of nowhere, produce absolutely fuck all, yet are "worth" more than half the countries in the world.

Data, as was said years ago - its the new oil.

They know more about the world's population, down to a granular level. That's what they are selling and why they are reluctant to change. Its about getting as many people onto the platforms as possible. They sell big data and for that you need you need what is called the 4 Vs (or it might be five now...) anyway these are Volume, Variety, Velocity and Veracity (I think they added Value and one other that escapes me now) 

Anyway, that's what the platforms are build on, and people coming off for a day does throw a small spanner but its about coming off althogether. Twitter didn't want to ban Trump because his tweets totally fitted that model - it expodentailly helped the business - so doesn't matter what nonsense he put out there. Which is why there are calls to curb it.

The thing is data is free - and we've given it all away to them without thinking and governments didn't have a clue what was going on until it was too late. Its like smoking now, if we knew at the time......

• Moderators

That's what my job is, basically...

But Twitter data isn't worth much as it's all bollocks behind anon accounts. Google is the one that's hoovering up real info. Twitter could easily go the same way as Bebo or MySpace.

• Members
4 minutes ago, Carlos said:

But Twitter data isn't worth much as it's all bollocks behind anon accounts. Google is the one that's hoovering up real info. Twitter could easily go the same way as Bebo or MySpace.

I’ve no idea about this sort of stuff Carlito but what are companies doing with the data, who are they selling it to and what for?

10 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Fair enough, but not for media companies - we/they need it.

5 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I’ve no idea about this sort of stuff Carlito but what are companies doing with the data, who are they selling it to and what for?

Selling it to huge multinational media companies in the main - that's how you get targeted, served etc - My favourite campaigns are flag targeted - down to a street level of a certain type of person - you'll get served the ads.

Or finanical institutions. In fact every aspect of most people's lives is effected by this.

Political instituions, who people are searching, why, the journey.

This is one of the issues, this is all operating out in the open but most people know nothing about it.

• Moderators

For me, we are developing ways to intelligently query the data, more than selling it now per se. Capture everything then mine it or build models using AI. The data has a value but ultimately the tools that analyse it hold the key. Some fucknugget abusing someone has zero value.

Siri overhearing that you need a new car or a holiday and boom, value. Take that down the line, 5, 10, 15, 20 years, where it pulls in everything and can target you intelligently. Potentially knows what you are thinking before you do.

I'm baffled when folk say/write stuff like..

"Fucking BEN site is shite, can't find out the dogging spots for adverts"

Or...

"We were talking about getting a kebab from Istanbul t'other day and BOOM - loads of adverts for Turkey Air, Sheraton and Nando's Chilli Sauce appeared..."

I thought more people were clued up about such things and simply didn't care.

I can't believe that folk give a shit but are unaware or unwilling to use Firefox Focus or stick Ghostery on their browser etc.

The Google consent thing every two seconds is currently getting on my tits but I won't be moved...

I just go straight to the source i.e. Wikipedia, than do searches.

Google are cunts, as soon as they came on the scene and wiped out all the other search engines I knew they were after world fucking domination, the 'privitisation' of the 'net.

People are lazy as fuck and uncaring about genuine infringements on privacy and virtual monopolies growing so big and all-encompassing they can afford fucking space programs.

Moaning about being 'forced' to wear a mask in bloody Morrison's "I want my freedom!" on fucking Facebook...

If I ever get a sense I'm being targeted I make a mental note NOT to buy a product or use a service from the twats involved.

Bairstow Eves, for example, can kiss my arse.

4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Watching that video- IW talks about those posting stuff not understanding what their actions mean (words to that effect). No doubt for some that will be the case, however, surely plenty of these nob hears know precisely what they are doing, and do so because they get a kick from it.

Whether that is borne out of racism, or just a hatred of all things; self and society, I don't know, but I'm not sure this action will actually have the effect they want. Will the weirdos actually be getting an even bugger buzz from it and the high profile nature of the action?

Ultimately, these companies will end up having to collect details of account holders if people stop using the services. If they don't, then apart from legislation what's going to make them?

BSA was speaking the other day and said of itself this action may not yield a great deal, but if clubs etc keep doing it, and the movement grown then it might have an effect.

As said above; hit them in the pocket.

One thing i picked up from te video was how angry Shearer was compared to Wrighty.

IW just seemed resigned to it especially following the outcome of the court case they mentioned.

He was right that the punishment should be community based rather than jail/fines get these knobbers to meet people in the real world not from behind a keyboard. 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

One thing i picked up from te video was how angry Shearer was compared to Wrighty.

IW just seemed resigned to it especially following the outcome of the court case they mentioned.

He was right that the punishment should be community based rather than jail/fines get these knobbers to meet people in the real world not from behind a keyboard. 

Exactly. Might actually give them a bit more purpose in life, and ultimately get them feeling better about themselves.

Failing that, throw them into Rudy's volcano.

6 hours ago, Carlos said:

For me, we are developing ways to intelligently query the data, more than selling it now per se. Capture everything then mine it or build models using AI. The data has a value but ultimately the tools that analyse it hold the key. Some fucknugget abusing someone has zero value.

Siri overhearing that you need a new car or a holiday and boom, value. Take that down the line, 5, 10, 15, 20 years, where it pulls in everything and can target you intelligently. Potentially knows what you are thinking before you do.

The way media agencies are using it has changed so quickly, they don't even know what they have unleashed. 

Intelligent target is here already and now it's not just limited to online. OOH digital ads can now scan and serve ads to certain people at certain time, not just postcode area and you can readjust in real time.

20 hours ago, Carlos said:

Twitter is generally full of absolute whoppers who are driven by how many people they have following them. I'm airways amazed when I see people who have +5000 followers, and they also follow +5000 people.... Its impossible to read/follow 5000 people, so it's clearly just for effect. I also find that these sort of people tend to believe every single thing they read on Twitter, all whilst inferring they're a bit clever because they don't follow MSM (using that term itself shows you to be a wanker anyway)