Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Disappointing Dinners...

Youri McAnespie

• Members
7 minutes ago, Dimron said:

I think we are the same... we are not "vegan" but definitely eat less meat. I think the problem is factory produced animal protein promoted by the supermarkets, local game is about the only meat we eat these days as it has so much more texture and flavour and we like to believe the animal has had a reasonably good life. The GP tells me my cholesterol is the lowest on his books including the ones who are on treatment. 

The supermarkets dumb everything down making it all tasteless, I recall taking an avocado pear and a can of cider to a mate who was in Lincoln nick on Christmas Eve in the early 80s. Colin had asked for these "luxuries" and I did not know what an avocado was; after finding one I got a second for myself and it was so nutty and creamy. I avoid avocadoes these days as they are just bland mush... just like the supermarket meat and Papa Johns pizzas you mention.

Summing up, I am almost veggie but how can I eat a meat and potato pie or steak pudding? For that reason I'll stay in my halfway (or maybe three quarters) house.

I’d say 50% of players at work at veggie, then the rest have stuff out of their diets, mainly red meat, but it’s ended up me trying  loads of meatless dishes so much I don’t really miss it 

I had to send food back to Nam Ploy the other week. It was utter shite.

Not sure how you manage to make bland Thai food but they've cracked it. And their rice was a congealed mess that tasted like rice pudding. 

Stick to Jajern or Thai Kitchen and never deviate! 

If you’re looking for something a little different for dinner try Braza. Amazing !

I don’t understand having take away sandwiches for lunch. The simplest thing to make and far cheaper to do it yourself. 

24 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I’d say 50% of players at work at veggie, then the rest have stuff out of their diets, mainly red meat, but it’s ended up me trying  loads of meatless dishes so much I don’t really miss it 

Do they eat fish?

• Members
Just now, jeep said:

Do they eat fish?

Some do 

Theres a player who was forever having small tears and stress fractures. A consultant in Italy changed his diet took out meat and replaced it with other proteins and I think it’s been two years since a reoccurring injury happened. 

56 minutes ago, fatty said:

If you’re looking for something a little different for dinner try Braza. Amazing !

I don’t understand having take away sandwiches for lunch. The simplest thing to make and far cheaper to do it yourself. 

I'm one of a dying breed. I go to work with a Tupperware box and a flask and sit there munching while they all go to Tesco or wherever

49 minutes ago, jeep said:

Do they eat fish?

I eat fish. It was a seafood paella during the week and squid tomorrow. Also had baked salmon on Wednesday. Sometimes I manage to get my hands on trout from Rutland Water, I once asked the bloke on the market whether it was fresh, he told me it was alive 3 hours ago.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Rudy said:

We had 50% off Papa John’s, the picture looked amazing, was really looking forward to it.

Sweet doughy sugary shite. 

Ive gone a month and a half without eating meat and don’t eat plan on eating it again because everything I’ve had had been really tasty.

Not to sound like morrissey but it’s not the taste of meat I liked,  it was always the flavouring and sauce that went with it

Same could be said with veggies!

Just had an 'Indian street food' kebab from big Al's and it was tremendous. 

Been reducing meat to a degree, and replacing with pulses, they do need flavouring with spices etc though as many are bland, and the spices themselves are full of health giving properties. 

Fresh coriander is a magnificent herb and sets so many dishes off. 

• Members
11 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Same could be said with veggies!

Just had an 'Indian street food' kebab from big Al's and it was tremendous. 

Been reducing meat to a degree, and replacing with pulses, they do need flavouring with spices etc though as many are bland, and the spices themselves are full of health giving properties. 

Fresh coriander is a magnificent herb and sets so many dishes off. 

Yeah it could but it has better health benefits 

We have a couple of salad dodgers in the family, I have previously politely tried to encourage them to reduce their sausage and kebab intake.

Although they are more than 10-15 yrs behind me, in the last year he has had his gall bladder removed and she has had one third of her colon taken away and 5 weeks on the oncology ward. 

Now healthier eating and lower meat intake has been forced on them

Edited by Dimron

9 hours ago, fatty said:

Love Braza. It’s a little hidden gem

14 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Beef and Horseradish sub from M&S is decent as is the prawn sandwich from Pret.

Ahhhh Pret, Gregg’s for folk that think rocket somehow pops them up a ring on the class ladder. Utter shite

there is no good packet sandwich. None. Never.

3 hours ago, jules_darby said:

Ahhhh Pret, Gregg’s for folk that think rocket somehow pops them up a ring on the class ladder. Utter shite

there is no good packet sandwich. None. Never.

Pret is shit but those butties are good.

Also Gregs tandoori chicken is a dream.

So you are a snob and wrong.

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Pret is shit but those butties are good.

Also Gregs tandoori chicken is a dream.

So you are a snob and wrong.

😁 I just hate packet sandwiches.

And nobs who think their little paper pret bag somehow gives them status 

If that makes me a snob I’ll wear it 

6 hours ago, jules_darby said:

😁 I just hate packet sandwiches.

And nobs who think their little paper pret bag somehow gives them status 

If that makes me a snob I’ll wear it 

When I work in centre of Leeds there is a place that does fresh made to demand with extras if you want sandwiches , their meal deal with drink n crisps was £4.50, get called a snob because could get 'the same' for £3 from Tesco express next door. Apparently Tesco's triple layer breakfast is as 'good as anything you get from that place.' 

I asked and they had never tried the alternative. Just remembered called Philpotts so still a chain just fresh food. 

Edited by Ani