Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Religion

wanderer1984

11 hours ago, Spider said:

As a means of suggesting people just be good to each other, and to set a basic way of encouraging decent morality, it would be fine.

The message most churches I’ve ever been to tends to be “look after each other, don’t shit on folk”

Thats ok, you know. I like that.

Unfortunately, the rest of it is absolute and total bollocks mixed with a sinister undertone of slavery to a message.

I’ll go with that. I think on the flip side is if it wasn’t religion the loopy types would find another mechanism to spout their bollocks

Never been the least bit religious. 

It does worry me that there seems to be an increasing intolerance towards Christianity however. It comes from the same wokery as the intolerance towards people who are even gently partiotic or view history through any other lens than slavery and exploitation. In short it's the same old juvenile agenda being pushed. 

I would have no problem with use of the phrase "christian-name" to describe someone's first name. But even that these days tends to set off the virtue-signallers and victimhood merchants with their desire to control language and thought.

If you enjoy going to church (or other places of worship) and have a faith - fair play to you. If you can't see the point- fair enough too. If you express intolerant views towards any of the above, fuck off.

• Site Supporter
31 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Right religion. 

First off, I have no problem with the community side of it, the hope it can bring and the togetherness for families no issue whatsoever.

That being said a few things that bother me. The bible, I think the bible is a book tales to set morals and not to be taken literally. 

Disregarding science, age of the earth, dinosaurs, evolution. Ridiculous.

The Catholic Church run like a fuckin Mafia. 

Religious martyrs killing people to get to “paradise” 

Hypocrisy. 

It’s all nonsense. The world would be a better place without it.

The world would be a different place without it, not necessarily better. 

no long Easter weekend for a start .

if there was no religion the human race would find ways to still destroy each other over differences 

2 hours ago, bolton_blondie said:

I'm in the team of it doesn't matter what school they go to, if they want to learn they will learn. 

An admirable sentiment but in reality?

You could have Mr. Chips (not the 'Catchphrase' one) as teacher and as long as he was refereeing a chimp's tea party at the same time as trying to teach, even the bright and/or willing learn next to fuck all.

Being held in good regard from one's peers usually trumps all other considerations the further down the ladder one goes.

When I was 'involved' setting up 'gifted and talented' programs were all the rage, I privately thought such initiatives were disgusting...

But they enabled the powers that be to wheel out the odd ex-pupil, who'd been handpicked and groomed to do well, at functions etc. It stank...

Erm, where was I...oh aye.

Religion? Meh...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

3 hours ago, Breightmet Boy said:

I’ve found myself disliking religion because of all these Archbishops and stuff poking their noses into politics and flexing their ‘Jesus Muscles’.    The current Pope was going on about the Falklands being given to the Argentinians, guess where he’s from?   

DAUBHILL 

• Site Supporter
18 hours ago, Dimron said:

I'm a Church Warden and help look after my local pile of stone called a Church. I talk with the vicar all the time and we both agree there is something spiritual left behind by all the people who have worshipped there for over 500 years. I am shit at singing non-football hymns so avoid services, although we are all forbidden to sing a the moment.

I don't accept mainstream religion as it is akin the modern politics but in my opinion, there is something about all creatures leaving an energy footprint in time.

Something in that. Spoke about it before on here, but upon entering Crowland Abbey, the hair on the back of my neck stood up. Very atmospheric. 

All religion is complete and utter bollocks. 

If it all came about now you’d be sectioned for spouting the completely made up, unproven fairy tale bullshit in the matter of minutes. 

Can’t say I was happy at my kids being told god created the world etc at their school when it’s just a normal school. 

No he fucking didn’t. 

7 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Never been the least bit religious. 

It does worry me that there seems to be an increasing intolerance towards Christianity however. It comes from the same wokery as the intolerance towards people who are even gently partiotic or view history through any other lens than slavery and exploitation. In short it's the same old juvenile agenda being pushed. 

I would have no problem with use of the phrase "christian-name" to describe someone's first name. But even that these days tends to set off the virtue-signallers and victimhood merchants with their desire to control language and thought.

If you enjoy going to church (or other places of worship) and have a faith - fair play to you. If you can't see the point- fair enough too. If you express intolerant views towards any of the above, fuck off.

"If you express intolerant views towards any of the above, fuck off."

Brilliant stuff.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Something in that. Spoke about it before on here, but upon entering Crowland Abbey, the hair on the back of my neck stood up. Very atmospheric. 

I’m not a fan of religion per se, but I’ve often felt like there is a certain positive energy in places of worship that I’ve been in. Spiritual or placebo I dunno.

Conversely I hated the opulence of the Vatican. When we visited, I said as much to Mrs Jules and we made a hasty exit and it gave me genuine weird vibes / chills.

I guess I’m kinda with the each to their own group as long as it gives folk hope, comfort etc, but my personal view is its unadulterated bollocks in so many ways.

54 minutes ago, gonzo said:

If it all came about now you’d be sectioned for spouting the completely made up, unproven fairy tale bullshit in the matter of minutes. 

Can’t say I was happy at my kids being told god created the world etc at their school when it’s just a normal school. 

No he fucking didn’t. 

😂

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

No he fucking didn’t. 

Prove it.

• Site Supporter
34 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

I’m not a fan of religion per se, but I’ve often felt like there is a certain positive energy in places of worship that I’ve been in. Spiritual or placebo I dunno.

Conversely I hated the opulence of the Vatican. When we visited, I said as much to Mrs Jules and we made a hasty exit and it gave me genuine weird vibes / chills.

I guess I’m kinda with the each to their own group as long as it gives folk hope, comfort etc, but my personal view is its unadulterated bollocks in so many ways.

Yeah, it's strange.

Enjoy visiting impressive cathedrals, abbeys etc when on holiday. A certain calm and reverence about them. 

Maybe it can be appreciated a bit more if you're not engrossed in the whole religion thing. 

Actually find some of the monastic (gregorian chant) music relaxing even though I haven't a bloody clue what is being said not its meaning.

3 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

"If you express intolerant views towards any of the above, fuck off."

Brilliant stuff.

You can't resist replying to my posts can you? There's clearly something about my conservatism, lack of a problem with patriotism, Brexit support (and distaste for what went on in that democracy-denying open sewer of a parliament between 2017 and 2019), support for those who want to follow a religion or support for the monarchy that niggles you. 

I don't sign up to viewing the whole of history through the binary perspective of slavery or colonialism either. There are millions and millions of other people the same as me. We don't agree with you and we are never going away. It's called diversity ... diversity of opinion. 

Maybe you should be more "inclusive" and listen. It might help people from your part of the political spectrum have a chance of getting seats like Leigh, Bolsover, Sedgefield and Workington back at some point.

Or is it too comfortable inside the Church of Woke?

2 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

You can't resist replying to my posts can you? There's clearly something about my conservatism, lack of a problem with patriotism, Brexit support (and distaste for what went on in that democracy-denying open sewer of a parliament between 2017 and 2019), support for those who want to follow a religion or support for the monarchy that niggles you. 

I don't sign up to viewing the whole of history through the binary perspective of slavery or colonialism either. There are millions and millions of other people the same as me. We don't agree with you and we are never going away. It's called diversity ... diversity of opinion. 

Maybe you should be more "inclusive" and listen. It might help people from your part of the political spectrum have a chance of getting seats like Leigh, Bolsover, Sedgefield and Workington back at some point.

It’s the smugness that amuses me, Paul.

In their minds, they are clearly right, despite losing election after election.

Very strange.

3 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

No, I just think they are perfectly written pieces of vitriol. I'm very impressed with the lack of irony around listening to other people.

If you don't mind, I might use them for my next Church of Woke sermon. We have cake and guitar night on Thursdays. All are welcome.

2 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Very strange.

Penny never drops does it. There's a tremendous amount of arrogance goes in to a mindset like that. It's what happens when you clearly believe you annexed the moral high ground in perpetuity.

1 minute ago, boltondiver said:

Very strange.

It's not about right or wrong, it's about looking and being interested in a broad spectrum of views. Paul's makes me smile because he's trashing his own point in ever post, but still can't see that.

He's totally entitled to his view and I'm sure there are certain things we would agree on, his heavy handedness and anger I very much doubt though.

You seem to think everything is so clearly defined, I'd love it if there would was that simple, sadly - or maybe wonderfully - it isn't.

All views welcome, but if that's the case, allow all views to be heard.