Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

voting

little whitt

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

There is a post box at my kids’ nursery, so when I dropped them off, they put it in there.

They’ll find your votes in 6 months when they bring out the class Santa-post box. 🤣

Council ward I live in was a 2 way fight for years, Labour v Tories.  Due to Labour's demise it's now Tories v Lib dems.  In the last month we've had about half a dozen fliers through the letterbox for the Libs, who, to be fair, are pretty active all year round.  The Tories have sent 3 or 4, yet not a sausage from Labour, which I find really surprising in Bolton.

• Members
7 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

There is no such thing as a cracking bush, surely? I bet it is bigger than that Witherspoon fellas barnet... Gip.

g5VqWmftHtKC9hP1uYi7_bLV6s8atDgqxCkS4Tdh

BUSHARAMA

Edited by Rudy

2 hours ago, boltondiver said:

Also a bit interested to hear why @Not in Crawleyvoted conservative.

Been voting since 1997, lived in many places, things change and different reasons, it's not a fixed thing.

My dad was took his school into grant maintained status and it immediately improved, I've seen the dead hand of local government and what happens with overreach of state, but also the stupidity of the slide away from core services to support communities and what happens.

I did like Camerons modern conservatism when it came along, like a play for the old liberal movement, I was also against Gordon Brown and very much a staunch Blairite at the time. 

Local elections are also different in different places, some people are just better for a local area regardless of political afflilation. Given I've moved around a lot the has also impacted on who I've voted for.

2 hours ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Postal vote ages ago. Why go to the ballot box, when the ballot can come to you?

The missus signed is up for postal ballots ages ago. When we moved house last I didn't let her.

Didn't seem the same. So we're now back to schlepping to the polling station when the time comes.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

The missus signed is up for postal ballots ages ago. When we moved house last I didn't let her.

Didn't seem the same. So we're now back to schlepping to the polling station when the time comes.

Fuck that, postal all the way. There is little chance I would have bothered otherwise for a Councillor and a police commissioner I have never heard of.

27 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Fuck that, postal all the way. There is little chance I would have bothered otherwise for a Councillor and a police commissioner I have never heard of.

Polling station is literally 60 seconds walk away. It's closer than the post box.

16 hours ago, Escobarp said:

It’s even more complex up here. You have two votes and both can in essence result in people being elected to holyrood. It’s a proper mindfuck and I honestly wouldn’t be able to figure it out if I tried. 

And as for kranks there is an independent candidate in Ruth Davidson’s old constituency called Bonnie Prince Bob. He was 500/1 when he first said he was standing was down to 20/1 last night 😂

It really isn't complicated. Blair's lot brought it in to prevent any overall majority (that went well!). There are 69 first-past-the-post constituency seats. Then each of the 8 regions have 7 regional seats. This is the tricky bit. Each seat in the regional voting goes to the party list which most closely moves the region towards proportional representation.*

If there were an massive number of regional seats this would eventually give proportional seats overall. [If you don't understand this point stop reading now. (Traf stopped several sentences ago, and he {probably} does understand.)]

* This is achieved for the each seat by dividing the regional vote for a by the number of seats won in that region + 1. For the second seat the allocation of the first regional seats is also taken into account, and so on.