Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

WanderersWays Player Sponsorship 21/22 Season

Mantra

WanderersWays Player Sponsorship 21/22 Season  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want to contribute to sponsoring a player next year as a way of supporting BWFC? (Poll closes 10:30am Tuesday)

• No
    • Yes - Limit £10
    • Yes - Limit £20
    • Yes - Limit £50
    • Yes - Limit £100+

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/05/21 at 09:30

Not sure whose idea this was but there was talk about posters from here pitching in together to sponsor a player for the upcoming season.

I sent sales@bwfc an email to say that there's a BWFC forum interested in sponsoring a player and would be good to know the pricing involved.

They said they could call me on Tuesday. Just a quick vote to see how many people would be interested in contributing then I can be more clear about it on the phone or if there's no appetite for it then we can just scrap it.

Only issue is sorting out all the funds. No idea how much it costs but for an example:

Say it's £2500 to sponsor a player for a season that would mean 50 people pitching in 50 quid each, and trying to sort that out could be a pain in the arse. So if anyone has a good system to hold some funds for this sort of purpose then speak up.

I think my upper limit contribution would probably be £100 but I understand for others they may only want to contribute 10, 20 or 50 pounds and there should be no shame in that but think it's best if everyone puts in the same amount.

• Site Supporter

Just wondering if there was a way it could be done & collected in conjunction with membership monthly subs... Dependant on how many members were involved at would likely make it more accessible to everyone & the collection system is already in place. 

2 hours ago, Traf said:

Nobody will vote no, for fear of looking like a cheapskate, but only 18 have voted from over 120 views.

For the record, Iamout. StevieB is right.

The voting ain't public to be fair, so no one can see if you've voted no.

If @stevieb means about holding money then I totally get that, not sure how to sort it out in a fair and open way. It's a nice idea but in reality might be too difficult.

With only 18 people in so far and majority saying £20 and some saying £10, I'm not sure we will have enough.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Mantra said:

If @stevieb means about holding money then I totally get that, not sure how to sort it out in a fair and open way. It's a nice idea but in reality might be too difficult.

With only 18 people in so far and majority saying £20 and some saying £10, I'm not sure we will have enough.

I think it's more a, case of cart before the horse. Pointless asking people to vote until they know what's involved. 

6 hours ago, Mantra said:

No I'm saying that last time we had a massive flag with wanderersways on during our European escapades the site got over run with idiots. 

49 minutes ago, stevieb said:

No I'm saying that last time we had a massive flag with wanderersways on during our European escapades the site got over run with idiots. 

Fair play didn't know that, seems like a lot of them stuck around!

(Jokes)

4 hours ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

I think it's more a, case of cart before the horse. Pointless asking people to vote until they know what's involved. 

I get what you're saying but just didn't want to chat to the person on the phone if it was only a few people that were interested.

If I can say to them - about 50 people would be willing to pitch in £20 then that might be helpful to know for them. Player sponsorships have died down quite a lot in recent years, I'm sure they'd take anything they can get.

2 hours ago, Mantra said:

I get what you're saying but just didn't want to chat to the person on the phone if it was only a few people that were interested.

If I can say to them - about 50 people would be willing to pitch in £20 then that might be helpful to know for them. Player sponsorships have died down quite a lot in recent years, I'm sure they'd take anything they can get.

The club will have a set price which is same for all Players I imagine. I sponsored a player up here a while back and it wasn’t much at all. And for that you got your name in the programme, announced on the tannoy at home games when they scored and at end of season a signed match shirt framed. 

it will cost far less than I think you imagine it will. 

I've been a player sponsor in the past through my business at the time, it was a marketing thing and it paid dividends. If WW wants to grow from a voluntary contribution site and be a commercial activity, increasing it's membership and selling advertising, its up to the website owners. As been mentioned this will attract Trolls and need managing.

My suggestion would be one off Match Ball sponsorship where you used to have twenty (?) guests, a meal and wine, directors box. lots of mingling and make a presentation to  your Man of the Match after the game.

Then of course we could book tables at sportsman's' dinners... the last one I went to at the Reebok was hosted by Nat, Tom Finney & Alan Ball!

19 hours ago, Dimron said:

I've been a player sponsor in the past through my business at the time, it was a marketing thing and it paid dividends. If WW wants to grow from a voluntary contribution site and be a commercial activity, increasing it's membership and selling advertising, its up to the website owners. As been mentioned this will attract Trolls and need managing.

My suggestion would be one off Match Ball sponsorship where you used to have twenty (?) guests, a meal and wine, directors box. lots of mingling and make a presentation to  your Man of the Match after the game.

Then of course we could book tables at sportsman's' dinners... the last one I went to at the Reebok was hosted by Nat, Tom Finney & Alan Ball!

So if the site just wants to stick as it is rather than chasing advertising it is a bad idea. 

I am out. 

The idea when it was first mentioned by whoever suggested it was to just support the club, nowt to do with advertising. If the chance of attracting trolls outweighs that then fair enough but think that’s a cynical way of looking at it personally, could just as well attract some good people. Just my opinion.

got about 25 people willing to put in 10 or 20 quid so will see. Have been at the hospital today so had to move the call to tomorrow.

Edited by Mantra

• Site Supporter

Tell you what, we can all donate and I’ll sponsor in my name and look Billy big bollocks. I might even get folk nodding in my direction in that ten-bob-millionaire place, Fanny’s.

10 minutes ago, Zico said:

We should go for the cheapest option and sponsor the announcement of the away teams substitutions 

Or time added on

“The referee has indicated there will be four minutes added on, sponsored by vile druggy thugs”

Where do I sign up? 

UPDATE:
Just got off the phone with the sales team.

Essentially they’re revamping the corporate structure and so they don’t have clarity on prices and other details  re: player sponsorship

so they’re gonna call me back when they get something more concrete in place. I’ll let you know when that happens.

They said it was under £1000 to sponsor a player last season and you get a signed shirt included so not sure how that would really work between 20 odd people! 😂 Could raffle it off and donate the money to running the website or some charity or Bolton fund? Or even just have an internal giveaway where one of the contributors gets it. Might be a bonus to getting involved.

Anyway - basically just waiting for them to contact me once they figure out what they’re doing so will have to put this idea on the back burner for now.

still waiting on one of the WW mods to give us their blessing mind!

Edited by Mantra