Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oasis - Shheeite.

In the annuls of music history, Oasis will always be regarded far more as musical pioneers and trend setters than Blur, Radiohead or Coldplay.

By the way Cannibal Corpse, along with Napalm Death, Cancer, Hellbastard, S. O. B. and Lawnmower Deth were pioneers of thrash/death metal 

Edited by DavidLeesMullet

18 hours ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

It's each to their own Pabs but if you go by your gauges bands like the Bay City Rollers were musical Gods. The general public are no great guide to what's good/shite... Personally I thought Definitely Maybe & Morning Glory were excellent albums, since then they've done the odd great song but most of their stuff has been pretty bland. 

point was, he is clearly still relevant/exciting, due to the amount of people still wanting to see him...and many of them are now younger kids, not just the likes of me, who would love him screaming ‘humpty dumpty’ for 2 hours.

you dont have to like a band, to see they are popular and still exciting / relevant.

9 hours ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

In the annuls of music history, Oasis will always be regarded far more as musical pioneers and trend setters than Blur, Radiohead or Coldplay

I don't think they're even regarded as musical pioneers now are they? I can't think of a single thing that they pioneered?

They were the biggest band in the UK in their heydey - but then so were ABBA. 

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

In the annuls of music history, Oasis will always be regarded far more as musical pioneers and trend setters than Blur, Radiohead or Coldplay.

By the way Cannibal Corpse, along with Napalm Death, Cancer, Hellbastard, S. O. B. and Lawnmower Deth were pioneers of thrash/death metal 

Oasis pioneered very little. Maybe wearing cagoules.

Musically, even Noel Thunderbird admits he ripped off the Beatles and the Stones for most songs.

They just made catchy songs, caught the zeitgeist and I still listen to them often.

Noel is trying to experiment with his new music but it’s a bit like playing Santos up front. He might accidentally score but in the main, it won’t work.

2 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I don't think they're even regarded as musical pioneers now are they? I can't think of a single thing that they pioneered?

They were the biggest band in the UK in their heydey - but then so were ABBA. 

The completely changed the face of British music and propelled the indie rock scene in to the main stream. 

A whole generation of people wanted to dress like them and walk like them. 

Their songs are absolutely legendary, ask any grown adult in the country if they can name and Oasis song and theyll not only tell you one but recite a whole verse. 

Dont look back in anger being helped out at the Manchester bombing memorials tells you all you need to know. 

Ask a man in the street to name a famous British band, if they don’t say The Beatles or Rolling Stones, they’ll say Oasis. 

They created anthems. Big fuck off massive anthems. That in itself is a genre. 

They were pioneers of their own particular brand of music, yes their were influences from other bands, same as any other, but the scene and sound they created was groundbreaking. 

The late 80’s indie scene just warmed things up for them. They created a whole different ball game.

• Site Supporter
46 minutes ago, Pablo said:

point was, he is clearly still relevant/exciting, due to the amount of people still wanting to see him...and many of them are now younger kids, not just the likes of me, who would love him screaming ‘humpty dumpty’ for 2 hours.

you dont have to like a band, to see they are popular and still exciting / relevant.

I totally agree, but being popular & relevant doesn't necessarily mean you still make decent music. As for exciting to be knocking on 50 & strutting around like you are 18 with a bad ass attitude is frankly quite sad & pathetic. 

Like I said each to their own. I'm just expressing my opinion, if it floats your boat that's great. It'd be boring if we all felt the same. 

• Members
12 minutes ago, gonzo said:

The completely changed the face of British music and propelled the indie rock scene in to the main stream. 

Their songs are absolutely legendary, ask any grown adult in the country if they can name and Oasis song and theyll not only tell you one but recite a whole verse. 

Dont look back in anger being helped out at the Manchester bombing memorials tells you all you need to know. 

Ask a man in the street to name a famous British band, if they don’t say The Beatles or Rolling Stones, they’ll say Oasis. 

They were pioneers of their own particular brand of music, yes their were influences from other bands, same as any other, but the scene and sound they created was groundbreaking. 

The late 80’s indie scene just warmed things up for them. They created a whole different ball game.

You’re alright by me suntan 

11 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I think you're confusing being a pioneer with being popular 😁

5 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I think you're confusing being a pioneer with being popular 😁

I’m not at all. 

As I say they created their own anthemic sound and scene. 

Ive never once listened to an Oasis song and thought yeah that really sounds like someone else. Their anthems are pretty unique. 

Liams vocals are like no other and had never been done in that way before. 

The whole Mad-Chester scene was down to them. Hate that word by the way, but it had the whole country talking. They were plastered all over the tabloids every week because of their behaviour, arrogance and music. It was their scene that they created. 

The look, the swagger, the sound, nobody did it like Oasis did. 

38 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I’m not at all. 

As I say they created their own anthemic sound and scene. 

Ive never once listened to an Oasis song and thought yeah that really sounds like someone else. Their anthems are pretty unique. 

Liams vocals are like no other and had never been done in that way before. 

The whole Mad-Chester scene was down to them. Hate that word by the way, but it had the whole country talking. They were plastered all over the tabloids every week because of their behaviour, arrogance and music. It was their scene that they created. 

The look, the swagger, the sound, nobody did it like Oasis did. 

"Madchester" was around for about a decade before Oasis came on the scene. Oasis were Britpop era. 

Even on their first album (which I loved at the time) I thought half their songs were ripped off either Glam Rock bands. One song (married with children) and one song is literally just Lithium by Nirvana slowed down with a different vocal.

Even their look was derivative and a bit obvious. They were good at pinching ideas and stitching them together to make something new, but I genuinely can't think of anything they innovated on.

We'll have to disagree on this one. It'll be massive if they one day get back together no doubt. But for nostalgia's sake. Don't think I could be persuaded to go. Seen them a couple of times when they were at their peak and even then I thought they were pretty underwhelming.

Each to their own though 👍

Edited by kent_white

I'm really surpised people think Oasis were pioneers - their whole thing was reverance and a magpie approach to writing music - and that's not a critism, lots of bands do that. Nirvana ripped of (the 😉) Pixies and Killing Joke completely on one song. They did it with a swagger, but then that seemed borrowed from their heroes.

Saw them live once at Glastonbury - played Roll with It live for the first time I think, it was the year they got blown away by Pulp who played Common People live for the first time. 

Liam/Noel and Oasis are now heritage acts, they will rake it it if they reform like all these acts do and if you love them it'll be a great gig whatever.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

I love the passion but the late 80s indie scene just 'warmed things up for them' sorry but what do you class as the music from the 'late 80s indie scene?' The C86 bands? Jesus and Mary Chain? Teardop Explodes and the merseyscene? American College rock? There's loads and to me Oasis were a decent pop band that had a 18 month moment of being at the centre of pop culture.

3 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

...Oasis were a decent pop band that had a 18 month moment of being at the centre of pop culture.....

A couple of shitkickers from Burnage who somehow made it to the top. And that was always their appeal for me. More in line with punk than anything.

Let's not start kidding ourselves that they were Lennon and McCartney is what I'm saying.

• Moderators

bloke goes to a restaurant, ask the waiter what soup of the day is

"oasis soup"

"ok i'll have that"

finishes meal

"why was it called oasis soup?"

"you got a roll with it"

2 hours ago, kent_white said:

A couple of shitkickers from Burnage who somehow made it to the top. And that was always their appeal for me. More in line with punk than anything.

Let's not start kidding ourselves that they were Lennon and McCartney is what I'm saying.

Lets not start kidding ourselves they were better than The Rutles.

2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

I love the passion but the late 80s indie scene just 'warmed things up for them' sorry but what do you class as the music from the 'late 80s indie scene?' The C86 bands? Jesus and Mary Chain? Teardop Explodes and the merseyscene? American College rock? There's loads and to me Oasis were a decent pop band that had a 18 month moment of being at the centre of pop culture.

Noel would probably agree with us!

"I’m not a genius. Everything I do is a nod to something or other. I’m not a genius. I’m a fan of music. Like Paul McCartney is a genius, you know what I mean? Morrissey and Bob Dylan and I’m just fans of theirs. I've got a good knack of putting sh** together, but I'm not a snob about where it comes from. I'll tell you."

15 minutes ago, kent_white said:

"I’m not a genius. Everything I do is a nod to something or other. I’m not a genius. I’m a fan of music. Like Paul McCartney is a genius, you know what I mean? Morrissey and Bob Dylan and I’m just fans of theirs. I've got a good knack of putting sh** together, but I'm not a snob about where it comes from. I'll tell you."

Thats the appeal as you say - a band people could relate to, came from the same place, had a wit, weren't pretentious.

Its just you need a bit more - and yes a bit of pretentiousness - to really create something groundbreaking and new.

• Members
13 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Thats the appeal as you say - a band people could relate to, came from the same place, had a wit, weren't pretentious.

Its just you need a bit more - and yes a bit of pretentiousness - to really create something groundbreaking and new.

But if people relate to things because they resonate with the people they are listening to and watching and like them because they’re not  pretentious do you mean that they can’t be groundbreaking because they don’t have an ounce of pretentiousness?

The Specials were groundbreaking and not at all pretentious. 

Don’t know if I’m missing your point here 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kent_white said:

aye, I like Oasis, I could happily listen to a playlist of my favourite songs all day long

but he was shameless when it came to ripping other songs off, this one being the biggest culprit for me:

34 minutes ago, Rudy said:

But if people relate to things because they resonate with the people they are listening to and watching and like them because they’re not  pretentious do you mean that they can’t be groundbreaking because they don’t have an ounce of pretentiousness?

The Specials were groundbreaking and not at all pretentious. 

Don’t know if I’m missing your point here 

The specials did have a whiff - political, angsty - started by a middle class private school educated bloke. Same with The Clash. Its not just the image they portray its what they push forward.

To do something new there has to be a bit of I'm steering my own path and then other people follow, and generally that's a bit of arrogance and a dash of youthful pretention. Oasis ripped off Bolan, but they wouldn't be dea in a feather bower.

Otherwise, its all a bit meat and potatoes.