Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Matt Gilks

Cheese

• Site Supporter

Obviously played a massive part in turning our season around, and was a true professional throughout. His vocal and physical command of the box were absolutely instrumental to the solidity of our defence during our meteoric rise up the table. Deserves every plaudit he gets. Would be more than happy to see him between the sticks next season if he's up for it. 

(I also know - from an Oldham-based friend - that he's one of the nicest, most down-to-earth blokes you could ever meet)

Instrumental in our season

if there’s one thing that is consistent at our club , it’s having a great goalie and a successful season

ie

shamus

Branagan

jussi

gilks

Edited by Mona

Been tremendous but it’s one area that needs freshening up think he’s 39 next month, he can still play a big part in working with a new goalkeeper for me 

If he had started the season he probably would have flown well under the radar. That contrast between Crellin and Gilks really showed the importance of a competent keeper.

Had a couple of blips, one long range strike (can't remember against who) went straight through him and in the Cambridge (H) game he let the ball through his legs.

Take out those two moments though and he was unbelievable the rest of the time. Caught pretty much every cross. He made a couple of massive saves. One against Bradford just before or after they equalised. But definitely his biggest success was his overall presence, command and leadership. And as people have said above seems like a genuinely lovely fella, only have to watch how he conducts himself in the Sky interview after Crawley to see that.

Always felt we were quite fortunate with goalkeepers... until Crellin. Jussi, Alhabsi, Bogdan, Lonergan, Alnwick, even Remi Matthews all showed themselves to be somewhere between good and decent but in terms of influence on a team Gilks has to be up there. Shame he's getting on a bit but still would do a job in League One.

Gilks was brilliant when he came into the team and was a big reason for the upturn in form of Santos and Baptiste together with the move to a back 4.

He's not brilliant now at low shots because of his age I suspect, but I would have him between the sticks next season.

GK is such an important position - wasn't it the great Brian Clough who whenever he was building a team always started with the best keeper he could get.

He turned our season for me , a defensive shambles when he got put in there

From the first game you could hear him marshalling his troops in front of him

he never gave them a second to switch off ,and slowly but surely it came together .

Plus he seemed to pull of at least one save when we were backs to the wall that seemed a certain goal

My player of the season , no Gilks ,no promotion , and maybe fannying about in playoffs

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, crawshawbooth said:

My player of the season , no Gilks ,no promotion , and maybe fannying about in playoffs

Playoffs is very generous. No Gilks probably = sticking with Crellin. If that had happened then I fear relegation may have been a possibility.

• Site Supporter

He's been well worth his shirt this season. He can be heard all over the ground and must have influenced all the team.

Like Crawshaw said he turned our season, he kick started it. A steadying influence on the whole club, including the fans. A giant on and off the field.

Micky, I think sticking with BC was a never going to be an option. I don't think IE could have kept the job sticking with Billy. He'd have been given the dreaded 'Vote of Confidence'.  Sharon would to have to have stepped in.

3 hours ago, Walkden White said:

GK is such an important position - wasn't it the great Brian Clough who whenever he was building a team always started with the best keeper he could get.

It was. Managers baulked at £250k for Shilton. Clough nabbed him., saying later he'd have paid twice that. He was totally correct.

I wonder if he would have been able to organise in the same way with 13,000 people singing and screaming in the ground?

Or if it being relatively quiet helped him. Always wondered how much you can hear your fellow players on the pitch on a match day!

10 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I wonder if he would have been able to organise in the same way with 13,000 people singing and screaming in the ground?

Or if it being relatively quiet helped him. Always wondered how much you can hear your fellow players on the pitch on a match day!

I’ll never forget his first appearance for us against Salford at home in front of the Sky cameras, his voice booming out around an empty stadium, he never stopped shouting, encouraging, organising. We won 2-0 and he went on to keep 16 or 17 clean sheets as we marched up the table, the rest is history.Top fella, top pro.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

3 hours ago, Francis Fogarty said:

He's been well worth his shirt this season. He can be heard all over the ground and must have influenced all the team.

Like Crawshaw said he turned our season, he kick started it. A steadying influence on the whole club, including the fans. A giant on and off the field.

Micky, I think sticking with BC was a never going to be an option. I don't think IE could have kept the job sticking with Billy. He'd have been given the dreaded 'Vote of Confidence'.  Sharon would to have to have stepped in.

I didn't know Sharon was a decent goalie as well as the best Football club owner 🤩

11 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

My player of the season. Without his influence at the back, what followed wouldn't have happened.

Same for me on both points.

He improved the defence (including Santos who will get POTY for it), which had the knock on effect to the midfield and so on.

He had a couple of clangers thrown into the mix, but we made it up first time of asking so who cares.

Our most important player of the season. We really struck gold with him

Could have signed a equally or more talented goalie than him but they wouldn't have made such a difference to our side than he did due to his leadership and communication from the back. 

Time waits for no man he will be playing a league higher and a year older. Some good points on here.............Would he be the same influence with crowds in and he is struggling on low shots. He has been brilliant this year and i hope he is on the bench each game next season. A keeper has got to be Evatt main priority

Feeling it could be Jenson or more likely Joel Dixon