Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Key players to build around in L1

SalCity Biggie

• Site Supporter
31 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

For me, Santos and MJ will be pivotal. I see Thomason starting most games instead of Lee too.

If he comes back strong, I can see Politic being a player Evatt will get a tune out of

Why do you think Thomason will play more than Lee - unless it’s a fitness thing, of course.

IMO, Lee is a player that could comfortably play at a much higher level.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Steejay said:

Why do you think Thomason will play more than Lee - unless it’s a fitness thing, of course.

IMO, Lee is a player that could comfortably play at a much higher level.

I just think he offers more than Lee in terms of getting attacks going and he’s improved as the season has gone on.

For me, Lee is ok but no better. 

Suppose how long term you are thinking. Next season is hopefully about consolidation so you have to include Baptiste in there.  Longer term no, but keeping the defensive side sound is the must.

I would include MJ and Lee in there but the issue with Lee could be injuries if a player is going to miss a lot can not build around them, same (based on last year) for Sarce.

• Site Supporter

I’ve got a sneaky feeling we will sign 1 or 2 crucial players anyway. I think part of the sustainability model will be getting in players like Dapo & John - yes we might pay them a bit more than average but every chance we could sell them on for decent money.

I wouldn’t be surprised if part of the Sharon/Noble meeting wasn’t along the lines of we can borrow another WHU youngster on loan, lower % of wages paid by us on the condition WHU get first refusal on Dapo if he has a good season

43 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if part of the Sharon/Noble meeting wasn’t along the lines of we can borrow another WHU youngster ...

Is Nobel on the management there now then ?

Dapo was directed our way by Kevin Anthony Jance Nolan, a much more likely source of help to us.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Is Nobel on the management there now then ?

Dapo was directed our way by Kevin Anthony Jance Nolan, a much more likely source of help to us.

Noble is playing for 12 more months but moving into their academy coaching once he finishes. Not sure what age groups but as part of the furniture, he’ll have a big say.

Certainly doesnt do any harm having allies like him and Nolan there.

I’d also look to get a link with Norwich set up and help develop some of their kids - lads a year or 2 older than Riley, not yet ready from the prem.

We can’t be too proud to say bollocks to these teams. Until we are better off in terms of money and leagues, we have to do what we have to do to get there.

Granted, permanents are certainly the way to go though like Burnley did with  Trippier, Ings, etc

• Site Supporter
16 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

I just think he offers more than Lee in terms of getting attacks going and he’s improved as the season has gone on.

For me, Lee is ok but no better. 

Very much my thoughts. We seem to create more chances with Thomason playing. Whether we're quite as solid defensively- perhaps not, but if the ball is at the other end, then does that matter?

Not inconceivable to have all three playing in certain situations, but that would depend upon Evatt's thinking.