Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Who are 3 VERY different artists who explain your taste in music?

I see the thread title says which 3 artists, so i’ve not named any bands. Marvin Gaye - a beautiful soul voice, i think he had the talent to have evolved with the times had he not been shot dead by his own father at 45 years old. Joe Strummer - that raw passionate voice in the early days with The Clash was incredible, he fronted a band who were at the forefront of the Punk scene.   Finally - David Bowie, not the greatest vocalist and admittedly he did write some duds, but his back catalogue speaks for itself, he was at the top of his game for decades. Ask me tomorrow & i would probably name 3 totally different artists.

43 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I see the thread title says which 3 artists, so i’ve not named any bands. Marvin Gaye - a beautiful soul voice, i think he had the talent to have evolved with the times had he not been shot dead by his own father at 45 years old. Joe Strummer - that raw passionate voice in the early days with The Clash was incredible, he fronted a band who were at the forefront of the Punk scene.   Finally - David Bowie, not the greatest vocalist and admittedly he did write some duds, but his back catalogue speaks for itself, he was at the top of his game for decades. Ask me tomorrow & i would probably name 3 totally different artists.

I think Marvin was only 44 when he died?

• Members
Just now, Burndens Bogs said:

He was murdered the day before his 45th Birthday ffs. Is this The Pedants Society? 😁😁

Yes. 

I only know this because I had a magazine years ago and it was artists who died before they were 50, I was shocked at Marvin being 44, even more shocked that Otis Redding was 26

7 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Yes. 

I only know this because I had a magazine years ago and it was artists who died before they were 50, I was shocked at Marvin being 44, even more shocked that Otis Redding was 26

And they say only the good they die young.............

Just now, Burndens Bogs said:

Yeh i see what you mean. Still an immensely talented kid though, taken waaaaay to soon.

Amazing talent.

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Yes. 

And it was amazing they sat on the dock of the bay together 

KT6jIYY.jpg

The Hell

Mega Ran

Buddy Holly

All feature in my frequent play list on Spotify. Like others have said I could do another few of similar diversity.

I love a good headbag to Metallica as much as I love a mince about to  Iceland's eurovision entry Dadi Freyr.

Completely depends on my mood.

On 23/05/2021 at 09:45, Youri McAnespie said:

Suffocation, Immolation, Incantation.*

Little 'joke' there for the death metal lot.

Erm...

Terrorizer, Tricky, Todd Terje.

I'm the Mancuso of G/L.

I'm open to any good music, I think one week I went to Sankeys one night (Carl Craig I think), saw Happy Mondays' fundraiser for T.W. at The Ritz one night and saw a Death Metal band another...

I've been tert Ballet and Th'Opera an' all quite a few times.

* and to the intiated ear these bands are/were very different too, before someone (probably NiC corrects me).

Well, if you want to be a pendant about it........... 😉

Most western popular music (including classical) is based on the Circle of Fifths and the Chromatic scale, which is why it all feels familiar and 'normal' to our ears, the 12 intervals per octave - from Death Metal to Techno - and specifically the Inonian Mode (or major scale) But interestingly, as pop music moved away from songwriting just on guitars the popular key actually changes from C, D and E to E flat - and more minor keys used in big pop hits. But historically C is still the most used key in pop music and in that scale G, F and C are the most used chords. But there are more similarities between Death Metal and Baroque music in terms of use of certain things like sweep arpeggios but as I say, being a pendant, most western music was birthed the same way so its more about stylistic playing difference, rather than purely musically.

But, you'd only mention that if you were being a massively annoying twerp.......

I remember my music professor saying on day one of composition that even if we produced Yesterday, he couldn't give us anymore than a low third, because there really isn't nothing to mark. Not to say it's not a wonderful song - but its so simple that the two phrases just can't be marked very high in terms of musical theory. Anyway, I was shit at composition, and dropped it after my first year to concentrate on reading history books about music, of which have been of no use whatsoever in the intervening years. 

My three? Dunno, will have to get back to you on that one.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Well, if you want to be a pendant about it........... 😉

Most western popular music (including classical) is based on the Circle of Fifths and the Chromatic scale, which is why it all feels familiar and 'normal' to our ears, the 12 intervals per octave - from Death Metal to Techno - and specifically the Inonian Mode (or major scale) But interestingly, as pop music moved away from songwriting just on guitars the popular key actually changes from C, D and E to E flat - and more minor keys used in big pop hits. But historically C is still the most used key in pop music and in that scale G, F and C are the most used chords. But there are more similarities between Death Metal and Baroque music in terms of use of certain things like sweep arpeggios but as I say, being a pendant, most western music was birthed the same way so its more about stylistic playing difference, rather than purely musically.

But, you'd only mention that if you were being a massively annoying twerp.......

I remember my music professor saying on day one of composition that even if we produced Yesterday, he couldn't give us anymore than a low third, because there really isn't nothing to mark. Not to say it's not a wonderful song - but its so simple that the two phrases just can't be marked very high in terms of musical theory. Anyway, I was shit at composition, and dropped it after my first year to concentrate on reading history books about music, of which have been of no use whatsoever in the intervening years. 

My three? Dunno, will have to get back to you on that one.

Two things:  Are most pop songs written in C Maj because of white keys? Black Keys Matter!

Secondly, I was invited to teach in Leeds at a barbershop choir’s recruitment session. Seven consecutive Monday nights pretending I knew what I was talking about.

Week one, let’s sing up the scale to an octave. Piece of piss! Everyone knows how to do that, right? Wrong! The Chinese guy who grew up in Pekingese moved to Leeds as a teenager was more used to his scales only having five notes. Time to earn my money!

Week two, I had a little exercise using well known nursery rhymes. Teach the four very different songs to the four voice parts and then all start your own song at the same time and listen as they form different chords. Everyone knows Little Jack Horner, Sing-a-song of sixpence, Little Bow Peep and Rock-a-bye Baby, right? Wrong! Chinese bloke didn’t know what the fuck I was on about.

As an aside, there are loads of videos on YouTube where singers change from Major Key (happy sound) to Minor Key (sad sound). Thing is, while very very different sounding, often the minor sounds just as good.