Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Anne Boleyn on Channel 5

Spider

2 hours ago, Burnden Pies said:

I actually think it does matter. Not just because it's a glaring historical inaccuracy, when I assume the programme makers have gone to great lengths to make everything else historically accurate; it's also because we all suspect where the motivation for doing this has come from - a kind of weird white middle class guilt complex that thinks garbage tokenism like this is a step to redressing a societal imbalance and years of discrimination. It's totally misguided, and I think it actually insults both the audience and the actor.

If it's just about the talent of the actor or actress do you honestly think a white actor would currently be cast to play an historically prominent person of colour like MLK, Muhammad Ali etc? The answer is no because that would be as patently daft as having a black actress play Anne Boleyn

Bigot

😁

1 hour ago, Burnden Pies said:

I know, I know, I just don't get it. To be consistent then they should mix up the entire cast and instead of trying to replicate Hampton Court they should film it in The Griffin 

The Balmoral would be more fitting

5 hours ago, Sweep said:

one of my favourite films that. I often think of you as a "Dude" type character drinking white Russians (using Brasso instead of milk obvs) 🙂

I bet you have a rug that really ties the room together n'all

I did have, I pissed it though, it had to be discarded.

I'm only spiritually like The Dude, I couldn't abide having long hair.

I once spent a big period of a trip to Prague imbibing White Russians once.

The then bird (used to fluctuate wildly - but always perky) was not impressed.

I've always been unimpressed at any women having the temerity to be unimpressed with one's drunken and/or drugged antics whilst abroad. The various enterprises always having been bankrolled by myself, why shouldn't fun be allowed?

Stephen Graham played a right wing skinhead in This is England. Using the best actor for the part isn't a new thing. 

I've no intention of watching it but it will be interesting to see the reaction of the royal court, most of whom would have never seen a black person.

3 hours ago, Escobarp said:

I will draw the line if they mess about with James Bond. 

The character is actually Scottish with a Scottish father and Swiss mother. Based on people Fleming new.

Anything could change of course as it’s a fictional character at the end of the day. The franchise will decide what will be the best box office.

• Members
20 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

The character is actually Scottish with a Scottish father and Swiss mother. Based on people Fleming new.

Anything could change of course as it’s a fictional character at the end of the day. The franchise will decide what will be the best box office.

I don’t know much about Bond but I always thought it was just a codename And number and not actually the characters real name 

• Site Supporter

This lovely young lady of mixed heritage played a love interest in medieval based film, nobody battered an eyelid. 

Shannyn Sossamon or something. Absolute stunning and of Filipino/Hawaiian decent...

So would people be up in arms if she had been cast in the role rather than a black person? 

See the source image

Ben Whilshaw or whatever he's called - Paddington, he should be the next Bond.

And he should play the character in a stereotypical 1970s gay stylee.

Literally running away from female attention like Kenneth Williams with Hattie Jacques, and getting fresh with other (male) spies and baddies.

Can't be any more camp as Daniel Craig's 007.

4 hours ago, Escobarp said:

I’ve just put my hat in the ring for playing Sasha Johnson when the low budget film about her is inevitably made. 

Critical head shot

6 minutes ago, Rudy said:

If it’s a biopic the actor needs to at least look like the person they’re playing 

Going to look a bit weird if Keith Chegwin is playing Sidney Poitier

It would, isn’t Cheggers dead?