Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Working from home

Ani

• Members
56 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

Nah Burnden Park asda is a shit hole. Take AB asda over that place any day. 

Correct blondie. I’d do my big shop in abduls multi mart in Damascus after Friday prayers before I’d choose to go there 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Youri McAnespie said:

And get bigotry right.

Burkas are pretty much non-existent, in Bolton at least.

A Burka is fully enclosed - usually with a net 'window'.

The ninja get-up is a Niqab.

MrsD and I had a week in Dubai a couple of years ago. Top notch hotel and very friendly staff. (After the first introduction they asked if we’d like to be greeted on first-name terms or more formally, Mr and Mrs D. Obviously we went for less formal)

Anyway, on the Saturday, the hotel foyer was absolutely full of UAE citizens, men in their long white robe and tea towel and women in everything ranging from a scarf through every permutation to burka with the little cotton grille.

The receptionist, a beautiful young girl came sitting with us for her break and to explain the different types of covering. (She didn’t wear any head cover)

Top and bottom of it was, if you wear no head covering, you’re viewed as not very religious. OK in Dubai but if she ever went to Saudi, not a chance she’d be accepted without at least a scarf type cover. Then, she explained, the closer you go up to the full burka, the more religious the husband is. (Surprisingly, not the more religious the woman is!)

• Members
1 hour ago, MickyD said:

MrsD and I had a week in Dubai a couple of years ago. Top notch hotel and very friendly staff. (After the first introduction they asked if we’d like to be greeted on first-name terms or more formally, Mr and Mrs D. Obviously we went for less formal)

Anyway, on the Saturday, the hotel foyer was absolutely full of UAE citizens, men in their long white robe and tea towel and women in everything ranging from a scarf through every permutation to burka with the little cotton grille.

The receptionist, a beautiful young girl came sitting with us for her break and to explain the different types of covering. (She didn’t wear any head cover)

Top and bottom of it was, if you wear no head covering, you’re viewed as not very religious. OK in Dubai but if she ever went to Saudi, not a chance she’d be accepted without at least a scarf type cover. Then, she explained, the closer you go up to the full burka, the more religious the husband is. (Surprisingly, not the more religious the woman is!)

Been a few times to Dubai and that’s about right, the full covering is seen as a thing if she’s for my eyes and my eyes only 

However I was over there when there was a national celebration day I think it was the Emir’s birthday or something, anyways I was invited to a a gala party at our hotel, we could choose to wear our own formal clothes but that meant it would be a sit down meal with other westerners and no women, or we could wear traditional dress and the women were allowed for that day to not wear any head coverings.

WFH last year for a bit meant I started work earlier,finished earlier but also logged on out of hours and was more productive but while bigger businesses might see the benefits it doesn't always fit in with how smaller things are run.

Being honest I missed the face to face of being there though.

Fucking hate WFH. Just finished Week 63. The office folk in our team love it. No commutes at rush hours. I’ve never worked in an office. On the road every day with one day a week at home. Different place every day. Inverness, Newcastle, Norwich, Brum, Norn Iron, etc, etfuckingcetera. Feels like I’ve been in GERMANY for the last 14 months. No prospect of me being out and about until 2022. Grim as fuck

Started popping back in the office one day a week, got sod all done so didn't bother this week and also saved a fortune.

Got our new hybrid working meeting next week, so it'll be a %of time over a two week period I believe.

Anyway doesn't start until Sept and my contract runs out then. 

So not really going back, got a decision to make - try and make a go of the business which mynother two directors are currently running, or cut lose and try and get another job. I'm not in a position to start up and wait 3 months for billing to come in, minimum I need to take home 2.5k a month and that's just scraping it, so unless we are billing at least that for three directors and associates (there is quite a bit of work at the moment) then I can't make it work. 

Nervous times here they come again!

On 28/05/2021 at 10:10, Ani said:

When a meeting finishes early, chance to catch up with paperwork or fuck about on here for 15 minutes ? 

Do you ever just put appointments in so it looks like you are doing something when fucking about on here ? 

I never do any of the above obviously 😂😎

I hate it when some dick says I’ll give you 8 minutes back. Cheers

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, marple whites said:

Same - couldn’t think of anything worse now.

an hour each way commute ( less than 10 miles )

wearing a suit !

no thanks.

I hate getting stuck in local traffic just going about work. The concept of traipsing to Manchester and back like I used to gives me a sicky feeling.

No bastard way.

34 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I hate getting stuck in local traffic just going about work. The concept of traipsing to Manchester and back like I used to gives me a sicky feeling.

No bastard way.

Fucking hell. I've almost got PTSD from Northern rail / m61 commute. Remember one day it took 2 hours 35 minutes to get in to manc driving at the height of regent Road roadworks. Similar getting home on the train when Northern rail were making a pigs ear of their franchise. 

No fucking way will that ever happen again. 

I'd sooner be on the dole. 

My most nuts commute was from.Royston to Cambridge. My Mrs could be on the train to London, at her desk and I'd still not made it in. Its only 7 miles I think. Cambridge morning traffic is the worst. Hundreds of school drop offs, all in massive tanks to small private schools and then watching you don't squish a little kid whose being pulled along in a bike trailer.

• Members
14 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Fucking hell. I've almost got PTSD from Northern rail / m61 commute. Remember one day it took 2 hours 35 minutes to get in to manc driving at the height of regent Road roadworks. Similar getting home on the train when Northern rail were making a pigs ear of their franchise. 

No fucking way will that ever happen again. 

I'd sooner be on the dole. 

On the odd occasion I did get the train to Manchester and then tram to work I couldnt quite believe it, packed in like sardines, late,  the cost I couldn’t believe as well. 

The health and safety of how many people inside a carriage is nonexistent. 

• Moderators

Aye, couldn't work from a make shift desk but with a home office it's great 

For the time it used to commute 10 miles to manc i can take the dog for two long walks instead 

Be nice to get into Manc for some meetings and see some other faces but that's me done with working in an office and for someone else