Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Boo Boys

Dimron

Footballers play football for a living to earn money it's a job I don't go to start work at my place and have to bend on one knee before I start to highlight racism there are other ways to call it out I work in a very diverse company, what about standing against homophobic remarks made at football where does it stop 

I do think some footballers have had enough of the knee but are peer pressured into doing it 

2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Double gammon me pal, I don't give a fuck. 

What happened to going to a football match to watch the football, now we have millionaire football players being a bunch of fannies, just get on with the footie, you play for England, show us why you've been selected and win us a fucking tournament.

Watched the Bobby Moore documentary yesterday, brought a tear to my eyes watching how the country came together as one in 1966, fucking brilliant, probably all deemed as patriotic bigots and racist now.... madness! 

No bang on mate let the appropriate authorities deal with racism at the footy and tbf any in stadium abuse is dealt with these days, not condoning any form of abuse but why footballers are on social media beats me

Jesus some of the stuff I hear on the shop floor will have the precious mob foaming 

• Members
30 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

See, your already against me because I don't agree with you.

And that's the point, I want just the football and you want football & politics, we could be here years arguing about this bullshit, it's going to ruin England's tournament, and the players will blame the fans, and all the fans want is to support the England players no matter what their colour. 

If players have a problem with abuse they receive on social media, take it up with twitter and Facebook, if a fan in the ground aims racist abuse at a player on the pitch, the club should ban them for life.

I don't want to see it before a football game and that doesn't make me racist. 

...and I also wouldn't boo, I just wouldn't take my seat until the referee blows his whistle for kick-off, and those who do boo, it doesn't make them racist.

The authorities of social media companies aren’t doing anything though are they?

I honestly cannot believe black players are being abused in this country taking a stand against and people are outraged or supporting being against it

All for a matter of seconds before a game.

51 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

No bang on mate let the appropriate authorities deal with racism at the footy and tbf any in stadium abuse is dealt with these days, not condoning any form of abuse but why footballers are on social media beats me

Jesus some of the stuff I hear on the shop floor will have the precious mob foaming 

They are on it In the main for money that’s it. As has been said before they should just come off it. The bulk of the abuse stops instantly. 

if you were doing summat that resulted in you getting abuse would you just carry on doing it? Sounds like madness to me 

• Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, Rudy said:

The authorities of social media companies aren’t doing anything though are they?

I honestly cannot believe black players are being abused in this country taking a stand against and people are outraged or supporting being against it

All for a matter of seconds before a game.

Fans aren't "against" players taking a stand against racism are they?

That's erroneous and not representative of the situation.

Fans are cheesed off with what blm and associated gestures represent, and its further implications.

Not a single fan ever booed the kick it out campaign or banners did they? Previous efforts have made quite a difference over the years; racist chanting, gestures and comments aren't acceptable and are punished. 

Five pages that I'm not wading through, but here's my take.

I think the knee has become a bit of an empty gesture and not much is changing in society. It is becoming as futile as the #bekind slogan on Twitter.
I also respect the right for individual players to choose whether or not to continue with the action.
I won't boo them nor will I turn my back on them or other suggestions that have been made. it's a short delay prior to a game, it hardly affects our day.

If you don't like it, ignore it. Boo it and you're reiterating the fact there's a problem in the first place.

Just now, Traf said:

I think the knee has become a bit of an empty gesture and not much is changing in society. It is becoming as futile as the #bekind slogan on Twitter.
I also respect the right for individual players to choose whether or not to continue with the action.
I won't boo them nor will I turn my back on them or other suggestions that have been made. it's a short delay prior to a game, it hardly affects our day.

If you don't like it, ignore it. Boo it and you're reiterating the fact there's a problem in the first place.

Some boo cos they are m0ngs let’s not forget that. And others just dONt GeT it 

Southgate should probably try explaining the message before telling folk they don't get the message. But maybe he did as I haven't listened to his whole interview. 

Decent article on it on the bbc today - England taking the knee: Why some fans say they are booing players - BBC News

I don't get the boo's though. Especially if your booing is directed at BLM being a Marxist organisation. Taking the knee came about long before BLM took centre stage. 

Either way, everyone has a right to do it and express themselves. Just like the players have every right to express their own beliefs. It's a few seconds ffs. We've quietly sat back and put up with soaring ticket prices, daft o'clock sky kick offs and endless adverts. Don't fancy living in a country where folk are expected to be silent just because they're at the 'workplace'. 

Edited by London Wanderer

2 hours ago, Traf said:

Nailed it 👍

10 hours ago, Escobarp said:

They are on it In the main for money that’s it. As has been said before they should just come off it. The bulk of the abuse stops instantly. 

if you were doing summat that resulted in you getting abuse would you just carry on doing it? Sounds like madness to me 

I couldn’t be arsed going on it if I were them so I get what your saying but to come off because someone behind a anonymous profile abusing simply on race doesn’t sit right with me. 

It’s all a little bit sad really. 

47 minutes ago, tomski said:

I couldn’t be arsed going on it if I were them so I get what your saying but to come off because someone behind a anonymous profile abusing simply on race doesn’t sit right with me. 

It’s all a little bit sad really. 

I’m not condoning the abuse in any way it’s shocking. But I also don’t buy the “if they come off the abusers have won” argument. 

Remove yourself from the situation. Simple. Reason they don’t is down to financial greed in the main. They have a choice 

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

I’m not condoning the abuse in any way it’s shocking. But I also don’t buy the “if they come off the abusers have won” argument. 

Remove yourself from the situation. Simple. Reason they don’t is down to financial greed in the main. They have a choice 

Aye again I agree but why should they have to make a choice when others don’t. I understand skin colour isn’t the only form of abuse but I think it’s the most unfair probably on par with disability. For example the abuse Kane gets would sit under the same bracket for me.

3 minutes ago, tomski said:

Aye again I agree but why should they have to make a choice when others don’t. I understand skin colour isn’t the only form of abuse but I think it’s the most unfair probably on par with disability. For example the abuse Kane gets would sit under the same bracket for me.

Others do. Folk get abuse all the time On Twitter. Some stay on some come Off. 

These high profile sports stars stay on for monetary gain. They can dress it up as they wish. It’s greed.

I would say one clear exception would be Marcus rashford who uses his social media presence for other reasons as well as feathering his nest. 

Interesting issue about the chav comment, as it was Paul's favourite writer Owen Jones who came to fame as a young author regarding the demonisation of young working class communities and chav culture.

It's interesting because those who demonised parts of society have now cleverly weaponised this to their ends, so you have the strange position where the upper tiers are using the poorest to sure up their power base, creating a system where a network of friends are slotted into high level positions without criticism and actual support, and the urban centric liberals are the ones now castigated for an unyielding stance, as they mislabel anger for stupidity.

As this thread proves, the boo-ing of the knee is congealed around a lot of this, about a country turning in on itself, a for or against culture, where discussion and looking for consensus is lost in a battle to win (whatever that actually means)

Just finished reading a book called London, Burning - a great reflection of 78/79 - and in many ways some very similar to today's climate. We are at another turning point. Personally, whilst I get some if the reasons around boo-ing, it's been jumped on by those who just want to voice values that do need dealing with and why it should continue- its better we have this discussion than not and think everything is OK. To say football isn't the place for it forgets footballs place in our society. 

Well, I thought it was interesting anyway.

• Members
1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

Others do. Folk get abuse all the time On Twitter. Some stay on some come Off. 

These high profile sports stars stay on for monetary gain. They can dress it up as they wish. It’s greed.

I would say one clear exception would be Marcus rashford who uses his social media presence for other reasons as well as feathering his nest. 

Not as easy and as simple as just coming off, a lot of contract obligations that they are tied into, with sponsors with clubs imaging rights, usually signed when they start out or signing a contract. They can’t just go in and remove the sponsorship endorsement, it’s not how football works anymore. 
Sterling even had his company run his Instagram and was told that was breaking his contractual obligations.

I agree with Tomski that it’s sad that they are put in a position to choose whether they can have the same opportunities as other players or lose them because they get abuse over the colour of their skin 

Whether taking a knee is effective or not, is a whole other argument but I just can't get my head round the booing.

Does anybody seriously believe that those players taking a knee are Marxists or advocating for the removal of funding for the Police?  Or that racism isn't an issue in the UK and the rest of the world?

It shouldn't need spelling out but the players taking a knee are highlighting racial injustice.  Even if you don't believe there's an issue here or elsewhere, why would you boo your own players who are saying that there is? Unless you're a racist prick, obviously! 

14 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Does anybody seriously believe that those players taking a knee are Marxists or advocating for the removal of funding for the Police?  Or that racism isn't an issue in the UK and the rest of the world

No. But that's what it really represents.

So they're being used. The term is "useful idiots".

Unless I'm a racist prick, obviously.

• Members
14 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

No. But that's what it really represents.

So they're being used. The term is "useful idiots".

Unless I'm a racist prick, obviously.

It’s not. That’s the same as saying raising a fist is the black panther symbol. Just because a group adopts something doesn’t mean thats what it fully represents 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Not as easy and as simple as just coming off, a lot of contract obligations that they are tied into, with sponsors with clubs imaging rights, usually signed when they start out or signing a contract. They can’t just go in and remove the sponsorship endorsement, it’s not how football works anymore. 
Sterling even had his company run his Instagram and was told that was breaking his contractual obligations.

I agree with Tomski that it’s sad that they are put in a position to choose whether they can have the same opportunities as other players or lose them because they get abuse over the colour of their skin 

Aye 

If white players can happily use SM and black ones find themselves having to make a choice, then clearly there is an issue and BLM both have a point and something more to think about than kneeling their way through this 

I think there's a clouding of the issue here that is convenient for some people to hide behind.

There is a problem with racism in sport and in society generally.
The BLM cause got hijacked and has attracted adverse publicity.
It is possible to be anti-BLM and still not be racist.
I abhor racism in any form, but I'm unimpressed by the BLM movement.