Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

World Record holders

stevieb

Anyone know any world record holders personally? 

My mate is doing the Suffolk back yard ultra marathon. Run a loop of 4.166 miles every hour on the hour. Drop out or get time out you get a DNF. Like a bleep test for the mentally ill

He started at midday on Saturday with 160 runners and is still head to head with the last runner. They've done 312 miles each and both just equalled the world record for number of 'yards' at 75. 

Still going! 

Whoever times out or drops out gets a DNF 

Whoever wins gets a world record and a golden ticket to the big one in America. 

Current timings... 

https://www.timingmonkey.co.uk/results/SBYU21/?fbclid=IwAR23oLkoNkLAT7aXDKOVxMBLeFH5DMf6zR79DSe2Roy3T6VLMhRQaBVQtHg#0_5C4795

Bit of background on it here...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/56720358

Absolutely mental. 

I'm pretty sure in my younger days after a night of getting splendidly stoned, a few of us attempted to beat the number of cream crackers that could be eaten in two minutes.  I'm sure two of us beat the record.  Norris McWhirter wasn't around to verify it unfortunately.

• Site Supporter

I met a bloke in Spain once who claimed he held the record for most lit cigarettes in his mouth at the same time.

That same evening, he got something like 30 fags in and almost set his face and jumper on fire trying to light them all. The barman eventually threw a pint of water at him and he fell off his chair and, smacked his head on the floor and was surrounded with damp Regals.

I never checked in the Guinness Book as he seemed totally legit to me.

6 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

That's phenomenal.  10 minutes every hour to have a nap, eat and do toilet 😳

333 miles (+4 in about 10 mins). 

Pretty much 13 marathons back to back with no sleep. 

Matt came 4th a couple of years ago and only gave up late on the Sunday night because it was mentally torturing but also his Mrs had to work on the Monday. She's booked Monday off this year and got emergency hols for today! 🤣 

And he's brought his own car too. Just incase it goes into Wednesday! 

Edit... He's just called it time. John has to get back round by 9 to win. 

Edited by stevieb

Few years back, down a boozer just before Xmas, I tied the challenge of how fast you could eat 3 standard sized mince pies (swallowing all of one before starting the next, and no drink to help). Properly timed etc and did a time (just under a minute i think) that we just assumed would be rubbish compared to the professionals. Then next year there was summat in the national press about Guinness ratifying a new world record - and the old record they quoted was slower than my time. So in fact for a short time I would have been, in the words of Roy Castle " a mince pie munching, suet scoffing record breaker! Dedication, oh wo, dedication that's what you need....etc etc"