Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Carrot and Coriander Soup is Shite.

leigh white

• Site Supporter

Let's be honest, soup is a bit biz really. However, in winter especially, I get a craving for decent soup. 

Reminds me of a old bloke who worked my Grandads factory when I was a kid - "it's a fine line between soup and stew".

Today is has never been truer in many senses.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Heinz don’t do Indian Dal. 😂

Hahaha. 

Very good!

Just recently, I've been making loads of the stuff, big portion at a time and freeze it. 

Lovely stuff: channa, toor, moong, whole chicken peas, urad to name a few. Cheap as chips and healthy- meat free or bulk out a curry, definitely feel good the day after.

45 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Hahaha. 

Very good!

Just recently, I've been making loads of the stuff, big portion at a time and freeze it. 

Lovely stuff: channa, toor, moong, whole chicken peas, urad to name a few. Cheap as chips and healthy- meat free or bulk out a curry, definitely feel good the day after.

Post some recipes. I've done a few daals. Used to take em to work in my food flask.

Not done one since working from home but I should do as its cheap and tasty 

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Post some recipes. I've done a few daals. Used to take em to work in my food flask.

Not done one since working from home but I should do as its cheap and tasty 

Basis seems to be cumin seeds and asafoetida in hot oil for a few seconds. Maybe some mustard seeds too.

Then onion for a short while.

Then chilli powder, garam masala, turmeric, tomatoes/puree. Cook it up for a couple of minutes, then in with your previously soaked and boiled daal.

Some of the pulses are boiled with a chopped onion.

Some have a splash of lemon juice too.

Add chopped coriander at the end.

Tinker with this as desired.

Did some brown chicken peas the other day- soaked them overnight and the following morning, pressure cooked them and then simmered some more once the curry was made. Still quite firm, but good.

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Basis seems to be cumin seeds and asafoetida in hot oil for a few seconds. Maybe some mustard seeds too.

Then onion for a short while.

Then chilli powder, garam masala, turmeric, tomatoes/puree. Cook it up for a couple of minutes, then in with your previously soaked and boiled daal.

Some of the pulses are boiled with a chopped onion.

Some have a splash of lemon juice too.

Add chopped coriander at the end.

Tinker with this as desired.

Did some brown chicken peas the other day- soaked them overnight and the following morning, pressure cooked them and then simmered some more once the curry was made. Still quite firm, but good.

Sweet 

My current go to is from a mates Mrs :

I chuck in whatever veggies are looking a bit sad in the fridge. (Or no veggies if your prefer not to) 
1 large onion, 3 garlics cloves... sweat off. Add cumin, cayenne, paprika, turmeric (I never measure, just whack a load in to taste) throw in your lentils stir along with your onions and spices, make sure everything’s nice and covered. Add a tin of tomatoes and 600ml of water. Simmer! 
Keep an eye on it and add water if you need to as you go along. I like fresh chillis in mine too!

13 hours ago, stevieb said:

Sweet 

I chuck in whatever veggies are looking a bit sad in the fridge. (Or no veggies if your prefer not to) 
1 large onion, 3 garlics cloves... sweat off. Add cumin, cayenne, paprika, turmeric (I never measure, just whack a load in to taste) throw in your lentils stir along with your onions and spices, make sure everything’s nice and covered. Add a tin of tomatoes and 600ml of water. Simmer! 
Keep an eye on it and add water if you need to as you go along. I like fresh chillis in mine too!

3 garlic cloves? I bet you smell like Ghandi’s ringpiece after eating that 😂

Edited by Burndens Bogs

10 hours ago, stevieb said:

Sweet 

Stevie

try this one. 

dice up a large sweet potato or 2   And get half a cauliflower chopped up into small florets on a  baking tray oil salt pepper and cumin seeds Or ground cumin  roast for 20 mins on 200  

In a pan sweat a large onion off.  When soft add in a heaped tablespoon of curry powder. Can be home made or just generic but something with a bit of a punch. Add some fresh chili’s at this point as well and some finely chopped or puréed garlic (2/3 cloves) 

cook for a minute and then add 150 mls of water, a small tin of coconut milk and a vegetable stock cube. Add some chopped coriander at this point as well. Bring to boil. Add 250g of presoaked lentils in at this point. And then simmer for 10 mins 

then bring the cauli and sweep potato out of the oven and put into the pan and stir all together. Boom. An absolute delight for a healthy lunch 

• Site Supporter
15 hours ago, stevieb said:

Sweet 

The alternative method. Depending which book/website you use, some do it this way.

Not sure if it makes much difference?

Had some recently made by boiling everything- no frying of onions and spices at all, and it was also great.