Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Covid-19

Spider

3 hours ago, Dimron said:

Did a rough guesstimate yesterday... I reckon that around 33% of my direct & subbie operatives are off with either a positive test or have been pinged. Working back I believe it was mainly caused by them watching the Euros in the pubs.

Must admit I feel left out at not getting pinged and having to take the flak over not having enough manpower to deliver.

Loads of our customers have folk off at the minute, we're also apparently struggling to get product in and out to custoemrs (DHL & UPS), as they're working on minimal staff numbers at the depots. One of those couriers didn't even bother turning up yesterday afternoon

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Just fuck it all off.

If you get really ill, go to hospital as they're still quiet.

Otherwise, act like you would with a cold or flu and ride it out. The vaccine does the heavy lifting protection-wise.

Lots and lots of people are rather enjoying their "isolation"

that's the issue, especially in this nice weather.

We've just got notification that our garden waste (green bin) isn't going to be collected this week, due to the council having too many refuse collectors off. So I guess I'll just have to get it all tipped into the black bin this week 😊

• Site Supporter

Lad in the office just said he overheard a couple of people on the staff kitchen talking earlier, all “jokingly” wishing they’d get pinged for a fortnight off.

Yes, the virus is rampant, but the numbers are plain as fucking day that it just isn’t the threat it once was.

Got pinged a few weeks back. Watched the first England game in a pub in Morecambe with the Sister in laws fiance. Nobody else near us and sat down service. both got pinged later in the week for 5 days isolation, and that's the only place where  we were together without our other halves who didn't get pinged. Being a good citizen I complied. Neither of us had it and nobody was in close contact in the pub, the barman served us twice, and we were sat in our own area., nobody within 5 metres of us, quite a big pub. I'd had two LFTs for work between going there and being pinged, had a PCR test and daily LFTS for the rest of isolation, nothing.

The other morning I awoke to find it went off again saying I need to isolate for 8 days. Winding the clock back, that would make Sunday as being in close contact with somebody, when I never left the house all weekend due to this glorious weather, other than a 20 minute Tesco in and out shop on Saturday morning. App got binned at that point. I don't mind doing daily LFT's as we do them twice weekly for work at the moment anyway, but that's as far as it goes for now

Edited by Gonk

Just been for my fit to fly test at Haydock, it was sweltering in the car and was wet through. They tested the temp on my forehead and to my surprise it was normal, the other test was spitting in a small jar. I received the results within half an hour of landing home and relieved to find it was negative.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Sweep said:

that's the issue, especially in this nice weather.

600,000 plus we're notified in the last week.

I'd wager that if all those who reported that they'd been pinged to their employer were added up, it would surpass the figure above by quite some way.

2 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Seems a few European countries are catching us up in the vaccine stakes and some may overtake us in the next week or so. I thought Brexit meant we had the best vaccine rollout in the world, Boris promised us that was the case?

in fairness, the roll out has been very good......the problem is we've got too many fuckwits in the general population that don't want the vaccine.

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Sweep said:

in fairness, the roll out has been very good......the problem is we've got too many fuckwits in the general population that don't want the vaccine.

I wholeheartedly agree, it has been excellent. I just like pointing out the lies made by our esteemed PM.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Zico said:

You'll be moaning when the next lockdown happens

Aye.

Not sure what folk expected. We all want restrictions to stop, but we all knew cases and pings would rise when they were.

The app and vaccine are the two tools we have as individuals to help ourselves. 

I do think that some changes would be useful however; perhaps allowing double jabbed to isolate for a shorter time, maybe with a pcr test on day 3 for example. 

If negative, crack on- with a further test after another 3 days.

Things are supposedly being looked at so we'll see.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Aye.

Not sure what folk expected. We all want restrictions to stop, but we all knew cases and pings would rise when they were.

The app and vaccine are the two tools we have as individuals to help ourselves. 

I do think that some changes would be useful however; perhaps allowing double jabbed to isolate for a shorter time, maybe with a pcr test on day 3 for example. 

If negative, crack on- with a further test after another 3 days.

Things are supposedly being looked at so we'll see.

I read come August 16th double jabbed don't have to isolate 

I only have a beer festival and MK Dons lined up between then 

Not sure which I'd more gutted about missing if pinged 

Other than that, whatever

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, Zico said:

I read come August 16th double jabbed don't have to isolate 

I only have a beer festival and MK Dons lined up between then 

Not sure which I'd more gutted about missing if pinged 

Other than that, whatever

That's my understanding, best be right cos I've written it all over our risk assessments at work.

Double jabbed can still get it and pass it on. As we all know. 

Negative lateral flows being removed from covid pass... Makes no sense whatsoever. 

Surely proving you haven't got it is better than proving you might have it but you've been vaccinated? 

• Site Supporter

Co-op in Horwich is nigh on fucking empty.

no deliveries for 4 days.

Covis now only kills the non-vaxxed, the million-to-one unlucky types and conspiracy nut jobs.

The app needs binning and we need to treat it like flu.

Tha vaccine is doing its job yet people are still praying for a few easy days off work in the sunshine safe in the knowledge they will come to no harm regardless.

• Site Supporter
36 minutes ago, Spider said:

Co-op in Horwich is nigh on fucking empty.

no deliveries for 4 days.

Covis now only kills the non-vaxxed, the million-to-one unlucky types and conspiracy nut jobs.

The app needs binning and we need to treat it like flu.

Tha vaccine is doing its job yet people are still praying for a few easy days off work in the sunshine safe in the knowledge they will come to no harm regardless.

Bin the app, and more actual cases will result. How many is difficult to know without any data as to the proportion of pinged that go on to get it.

The app/response needs modifying to reflect the situation.

Which is happening for some sections- daily testing 

• Site Supporter

Part of the delivery issue is, of course, brexit. That is being conveniently brushed away as the pinging gets the blame.

Actually, both things are contributing.

I know a driver who is losing up to 3-4 days worth of driving time a month just waiting at customs for his load to be given clearance by customs when previously it took less than an hour.

It would certainly help though of folk weren’t being told to have 2 weeks off because they walked past someone in the park.

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Part of the delivery issue is, of course, brexit. That is being conveniently brushed away as the pinging gets the blame.

Actually, both things are contributing.

I know a driver who is losing up to 3-4 days worth of driving time a month just waiting at customs for his load to be given clearance by customs when previously it took less than an hour.

It would certainly help though of folk weren’t being told to have 2 weeks off because they walked past someone in the park.

That is still a massive shitstorm, and you're right it's not getting the airtime it normally would, because of COVID. Not only are the ports fucked due to paperwork, but loads of their staff are off due to being pinged.

I've got about $70K worth of product in Southampton docks somewhere, it's been sat there for 3 days so far, normally it would flush through in under 24 hours - our forwarder has advised us that it should be sorted by next Wednesday/Thursday......which is needs to, otherwise it'll slip into next month and delay my commission 🙂

Edited by Sweep

• Site Supporter

Most employers are probably playing full whack.

Its causing havoc. Was supposed to be on a golf day with a customer today. 120 people confirmed 4 weeks ago, 57 turned up with most using the ping as a reason for not going.

I was honest and said i couldn't be arsed

25 minutes ago, Spider said:

Most employers are probably playing full whack.

Its causing havoc. Was supposed to be on a golf day with a customer today. 120 people confirmed 4 weeks ago, 57 turned up with most using the ping as a reason for not going.

I was honest and said i couldn't be arsed

I've got 6 in isolation at the moment (50% of the staff!) all but one are on SSP. The one who isn't is able to work from home.

2 of them have tested positive and both coincidently went to the pub to watch the final of the Euros