Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England

desperado

• Site Supporter

This is the first tournament my lad has took any notice of, so I've got proper into it too, for the first time in years. He's as obsessed as I was at his age in 1990. We've watched the Ukraine game on repeat every night since Saturday, and my knees are fucked from playing football every single chance he gets, fully kitted up in the garden 😂 I love it.

33 minutes ago, Cheese said:

This is the first tournament my lad has took any notice of, so I've got proper into it too, for the first time in years. He's as obsessed as I was at his age in 1990. We've watched the Ukraine game on repeat every night since Saturday, and my knees are fucked from playing football every single chance he gets, fully kitted up in the garden 😂 I love it.

Haha brilliant!                                            
Fwiw i kick every ball when England are in a major tournament. 
 For me England are a very close second behind BWFC in the emotions stakes.

• Site Supporter

I’m struggling to get nervous like I used to.

Id dearly love to see us win but so many years of going without a final or a trophy has numbed me to it all a bit.

Ask me on Sunday when we’re beating Italy 3-0 in injury time and you’ll get a very different answer 

• Members
2 hours ago, Cheese said:

That’s brilliant that’s what it’s all about 

My arse is going 5p 10p at the moment 

Folk who say they care only about their club and not about England are just attention seekers.

Anyway, nervous about tonight. We've been here before when we were so confident about beating Croatia in the WC semi.

Fingers crossed it all comes together tonight, because if it does we'll win.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Supporting England is completely different emotionally to BWFC.  This is "fun", not unlike getting behind the England cricket team or the GB Olypmic athletes.  Great while its on, and once its finished, its over, forgotten about within days by most of us. 

BWFC is a way of life, there are consequences to failure.  If we had lost a few games in March, we'd have been looking at going out of the league, the club's very existence can be in doubt with a few bad years.  No such worries for England, its all fun, no real failure, like being the fan of a top 8 club.

What is great about England success is being able to share it with family, friends, neighbours, work colleagues that you just can't do with club football, that makes it special in a different way.  

Aye 

Did a couple of the qualifiers at Anfield and OT back in 2001 

It was ok but just didn't feel a part of it like watching Bolton away and just didn't celebrate Beckham's free kick v Greece in anyway like an important Bolton goal 

But 

Once a tournament starts I'm all in and don't mind talking with Utd or City fans about it

• Site Supporter

I’m currently flicking between ITV and Sky Sports News. Looks like they’re both trying to out do each other with the number of women they can grab opinions from in the build up.

• Site Supporter

I want to win, of course I do but I’m in no way nervous. Before the Exeter and Crawley games I was shitting bricks.

Probably because I feel no connection with the players. I had no idea who Phillips and Saka were a couple of months ago.

I think I’d be bouncing more if the semi and final were abroad

Edited by Biggish Dave

• Site Supporter
30 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I’m currently flicking between ITV and Sky Sports News. Looks like they’re both trying to out do each other with the number of women they can grab opinions from in the build up.

WOMEN : KNOW YOUR PLACE

4 hours ago, Cheese said:

Quality. 

My sons getting more into this tournament, not quite that level yet. Letting him stay up for tonight. 

Was that the stadium in the olden days... 🤣