Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England

desperado

A very good thing in this competition is that the European interpretation of using VAR is in direct contrast to how its been misused in England last season. They look for " clear and obvious" errors, not slide rule interpretations taken from 28 angles in frame by frame time.

Whether right or wrong that penalty was not a "clear & obvious" decision. So it was not overturned.

I appreciate we may suffer as well as profit from this over time but it's how it was intended to be. I hope we learn this.

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, waffer cup 07 said:

What the hell were the pundits watching, " Denmark the better side for an hour". It was like a game of attack against defence. Great performance.

I heard that, but in fairness I think it was just the presenter. Wright was probably thinking "knob head".

8 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

All credibility shot to shit in one short sentence.

Sterling is quite possibly the most dynamic player we’ve had in 50 years.

Deary fucking me.

Yep

24 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Sorry to be hughmungus but we’re slightly above average as is Gareth. Hope we beat the Italians but be prepared for the strong possibility we won’t, hope chiesa is injured because he’s class act and could do without him fit. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Christ.

I thought the Italians were the the best team until I saw their semi. Now not sure.

To say they're just above average though- like saying Wanderers were below average last season as we only came third.

45 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Sorry to be hughmungus but we’re slightly above average as is Gareth. Hope we beat the Italians but be prepared for the strong possibility we won’t, hope chiesa is injured because he’s class act and could do without him fit. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

we're a team of kids tbf

this team will be scary good at the next 2 tournaments

teams wont be queuing up to play us

agree re sun, very tough game

would change saka for foden

• Site Supporter

Of course it’ll be a tough game, and the tank reversers will be shithousing all over the place.

Keep that dwarf quiet (Kyle Walker should have the ability) and I see no reason to fear them.

And honestly, whilst I desperately want us to win, I’m just glad we’ve cleared years of hoodoos and despair. This generation of players will win us a pot soon enough.

Said to the missus last night that the scary thing is we’ve got a bench of potential superstars (some already are) and there will be a long line of players ready to come through. 

for me last night was the best performance of the tournament. Ukraine were shite and duly dispatched but last night was a well drilled opposition with threat and we played well I thought. 

as has been said if it’s not this time it will be soon. And much like Bolton I feel like this group of players understands it and connects with the fans which is priceless. Plus they care. They really do care. 

47 minutes ago, L/H White said:

we're a team of kids tbf

this team will be scary good at the next 2 tournaments

teams wont be queuing up to play us

agree re sun, very tough game

would change saka for foden

Let’s hope so, as we’ve been here before, any win Sunday is badly needed, don’t care how we win as long as we get over the line, the confidence that will give us going forward will be massive to our future progress and chances of winning a couple of back to back tournaments. It’ll be emotional on Sunday if we can finish the job. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

11 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

It’s not like Italy are a “great” side though, Spain controlled much of their semi against them - they’re just a bit more shit at pens. Th’eyeties are beatable with a capital B, bring it on.

as always, they'll be tough to break down

its coming home

9 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

It’s funny as fuck.😎 But if we don’t win Sunday it will be unbearable. Life will be a misery. 

My scottish friend was messaging me 30 seconds after the Denmark Goal. I replied that just like Scotland's exit from the tournament, it was very early to comment

5 minutes ago, Gonk said:

My scottish friend was messaging me 30 seconds after the Denmark Goal. I replied that just like Scotland's exit from the tournament, it was very early to comment

I had a couple of blokes in the pub Sunday having a pop about the media this media that. I said it’s all irrelevant as we are playing for 2nd place. They asked why?

I said  you cunts won it the other week at wembley didn’t you. Embarrassing. both just muttered Supped up and fucked off ten mins later. Cunts. 

Uefa has charged England after a laser pointer was directed at Denmark keeper Kasper Schmeichel during Wednesday's Euro 2020 semi-final at Wembley.

Television pictures showed a green light on Schmeichel's face just before Harry Kane took an extra-time penalty.

Schmeichel saved the spot-kick but Kane scored the rebound as England won 2-1 to reach Sunday's final against Italy.

England are also charged with causing a "disturbance" during Denmark's national anthem and setting off fireworks.

"The case will be dealt with by the Uefa Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body (CEDB) in due course," said a statement from European football's governing body.

1 hour ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I’m probably alone in thinking Saka looks out of his depth at this level for the most part. Foden or Sancho would be a better bet imo.

I havent been mad on him either tbf

he's had a few good runs, did well for the goal, but looks far to lightweight for me

foden looked very lively when he came on

will be hard for him to change the team for sunday, only positions up for grabs are mount and saka for me

53 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Uefa has charged England after a laser pointer was directed at Denmark keeper Kasper Schmeichel during Wednesday's Euro 2020 semi-final at Wembley.

Television pictures showed a green light on Schmeichel's face just before Harry Kane took an extra-time penalty.

Schmeichel saved the spot-kick but Kane scored the rebound as England won 2-1 to reach Sunday's final against Italy.

England are also charged with causing a "disturbance" during Denmark's national anthem and setting off fireworks.

"The case will be dealt with by the Uefa Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body (CEDB) in due course," said a statement from European football's governing body.

Just HAVE to strop about, don't they ! 

The fans have booed other anthems throughout & it's a poor thing to do and shows no class. The Wembley team should put out a warning.

The laser, there are dozens of cameras focused on crowfs, the (original) purchasers of tickets will be known. So with a fair wind they'll have a chance of finding the fool. Proof may be harder.

A firework ? They really are flailing about a bit there.

Maybe embarrassed that they'll have no reason to fail to support a fresh bid to host the World Cup in England/UK/British Isles ?

3 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

It’s not like Italy are a “great” side though, Spain controlled much of their semi against them - they’re just a bit more shit at pens. Th’eyeties are beatable with a capital B, bring it on.

I think they’re better than us but they’ve been playing at high tempo from day 1 of the comp while our style completely different and more measured, prefer to watch Italy than us but feel they might be leggier than us on Sunday. 🤞🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏆

• Site Supporter

Saka has been really good. Takes the ball so well with his back to a defender when being pressed, and manages to turn so well.

A tight defence last night, and some slowish build up at times didn't help him, but he showed class, as he did in his other games, included in that is a good defensive mentality when required too.

I think this last aspect may be swinging things in his favour, as I'm not sure Foden tracks back as well.

It worked a treat last night though, once saka had done his thing, they were blowing hard and were becoming lass of a threat. Foden then used the ball really well as the team controlled the game- could have scored more if they had tried.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

5 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Said to the missus last night that the scary thing is we’ve got a bench of potential superstars (some already are) and there will be a long line of players ready to come through. 

for me last night was the best performance of the tournament. Ukraine were shite and duly dispatched but last night was a well drilled opposition with threat and we played well I thought. 

as has been said if it’s not this time it will be soon. And much like Bolton I feel like this group of players understands it and connects with the fans which is priceless. Plus they care. They really do care. 

Spot on

• Members
7 hours ago, Escobarp said:

And why is any one trying to find fault rather than just enjoying this. Bizarre mentality some folk have

Fuckin weird. No wonder the England job is labelled a poisoned chalice, don’t make the final, Manager is shit, team is shit, Get to the first final in 55 years and Gareth is average and so is the team. Bends my head 

• Site Supporter

Facebook is absolutely chockablock with folk who know much more about team selection than Southgate. They all have hidden powers and know starting the game with Foden and/or Grielish would’ve resulted in at least a 4-0 score line.