Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Old Floodlights At Burnden.

leigh white

Yes they were magnificent, iconic , beautiful, I loved seeing them tower above Burnden. Booth steelwork ??? Burnley FC looked remarkably similar at the time 

They were not very powerful as we were told by broadcasters ( Granada TV )  that they were not bright enough to support colour TV broadcasts , but then again we were also told that the TV box on top of the Manny road stand was not strong / big enough to support colour TV cameras and equipment. 

There was probably a 5 year gap when we didn't appear on MoTD or Granada TV Sunday afternoon game .  My conspiracy theory was no one liked us 

22 minutes ago, Nottm_Wanderer said:

Yes they were magnificent, iconic , beautiful, I loved seeing them tower above Burnden. Booth steelwork ??? Burnley FC looked remarkably similar at the time 

They were not very powerful as we were told by broadcasters ( Granada TV )  that they were not bright enough to support colour TV broadcasts , but then again we were also told that the TV box on top of the Manny road stand was not strong / big enough to support colour TV cameras and equipment. 

There was probably a 5 year gap when we didn't appear on MoTD or Granada TV Sunday afternoon game .  My conspiracy theory was no one liked us 

No conspiracy... no one likes us and we don't like them.

As an aside the crane at Booths was named after my Grandad after it fell on him

• Site Supporter
16 hours ago, Nottm_Wanderer said:

Went to a game at Notts County and their lighting pylons also had the Booth’s Steelworks logo. The match sponsor was Booths Steelworks of Bolton.

On 25/06/2021 at 20:59, Nottm_Wanderer said:

They was great, but one season we had a yellowy colour, they was dreadful if it was foggy 

Very rarely see a photo of Burnden taken from that angle. I can see that the red brick building with windows is the back of the Manny Rd stand, the bend in the Railway line i presume would be the line that went behind the Embankment and then on towards Bury? I can vaguely remember trains slowly moving behind the Embankment whilst a game was being played,but i think this section of track closed many years ago - mid 60’s maybe? The big cooling towers to the right that can be seen when zoomed, i would imagine are somewhere over Kearsley way? Great photo btw.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

1 minute ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Very rarely see a photo of Burnden taken from that angle. I can see that the red brick building with windows is the back of the Manny Rd stand, the bend in the Railway line i presume would be the line that went behind the Embankment and then on towards Blackburn? I can vaguely remember trains slowly moving behind the Embankment whilst a game was being played,but i think this section of track closed many years ago - mid 60’s maybe? The big cooling towers to the right that can be seen when zoomed, i would imagine are somewhere over Kearsley way? Great photo btw.

The line behind the embankment went to Bury , the line to Blackburn went under Great Moor Street and out to Turner Bridge viaduct . I used to catch the train to Bromley Cross on match days .

Btw my dad said that on match days if it was quiet you could hear the Burnden roar in Bradshaw ... That's Bradshaw not Bradshawgate  

6 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Very rarely see a photo of Burnden taken from that angle. I can see that the red brick building with windows is the back of the Manny Rd stand, the bend in the Railway line i presume would be the line that went behind the Embankment and then on towards Blackburn? I can vaguely remember trains slowly moving behind the Embankment whilst a game was being played,but i think this section of track closed many years ago - mid 60’s maybe? The big cooling towers to the right that can be seen when zoomed, i would imagine are somewhere over Kearsley way? Great photo btw.

I’m fairly sure the train track which ran behind embankment went to Bury. The power station was kearsley but actually in stoneclough.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kearsley_Power_Station#/media/File%3AKearsley_power_station.tif

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Yes you are both correct, it was the Bolton to Bury line that ran behind the Embankment which closed sometime between 1964-1970. There was an old film from the mid 50’s called “The Love Match” where Arthur Askey plays a footy mad train driver, one scene from the film shows him stopping his train and watching some of the action from behind the Embankment.

1 hour ago, Nottm_Wanderer said:

The line behind the embankment went to Bury , the line to Blackburn went under Great Moor Street and out to Turner Bridge viaduct . I used to catch the train to Bromley Cross on match days .

Btw my dad said that on match days if it was quiet you could hear the Burnden roar in Bradshaw ... That's Bradshaw not Bradshawgate  

Under Bradshawgate not Great moor Street, that was the Preston line.

The whole junction was a triangular one, so trains from Manchester could take the other curve to Bury, hence there where two bridges crossing Manchester Road. The White Horse pub was next to one, long gone now...