Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bit Of A Lad

Breightmet Boy

Speaking to a DMB at work and he told me his father-in-law was a staunch Wanderers fan and would drink in the Sweet Green before the game.  I replied ‘Bit of a lad in his time’? He says ‘No, he’d have a beer in there then go to the game over Orlando Bridge”

Me: ’So he was a lad then’ 😂. Nobody did that routine without wanting a bit of a ding-dong 😂 

SGT was a fantastic pint of Tetleys back in the late 80s / early 90s when the landlord was an ex copper I think (had a slight scouse accent but I didn't hold it against him as it was an A1 pint). He also sold Ye Olde pasties.

Last time I went in the bar staff had faces like slapped arses, the customers were a weird unfriendly clique and the ale was undrinkable. Such a shame 

• Site Supporter

They moved the bar before the lockdowns and it's aright shithole. No cask on when I went in last, no customer in either. I told the slapped arse faced bar person I had to run for my train so I couldn't have another.

Long ago I went in the Havelock while I was waiting for tyres put on a company car. That was a bit wild westish, mind you I had a tie on. Landlord thought I was plain clothes and brushed some 'baccy' off one of the tables sharpish.