Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

financial/benefits advice

fester58

following a recent accident where my mother fell and fractured her hip, iam looking at what benefits and financial support shes allowed to claim for, ive looked at attendance allowance and the forms have been done, also looked at pip/dla which she is not entiled to because shes above pensionable age. i would like to get her a mibility car which would make her travelling a lot more comfortable and safer in the future but the attendance allowance doesnt let you apply for it, so far i keep hitting a brick wall.

cheers in advance

• Site Supporter

C, as you’re aware, my mum had exactly the same break 5 months ago. She spent a week in Townley’s following the replacement parts op and then around 5 or 6 weeks in Wilfred Geere home at the top of Highfield Rd.

Following her return home she was appointed home help three times a day which she made no secret of the fact she didn’t want. She’d be up and dressed in time for the first one, already had lunch by the time the second one came and just turned round to the third one and told her, “If you think I’m getting ready for bed at 8.30 you’ve another think coming!”

I think this is free for 12 weeks or so as part of Bolton’s re-enablement programme to make sure she can cope. 

And that’s about it. She’s 84 with a decent widow’s pension from my dad on top of her her state pension. 

If you want to talk to someone about mobility allowance I suggest Ann and David Morris.

3 minutes ago, MickyD said:

C, as you’re aware, my mum had exactly the same break 5 months ago. She spent a week in Townley’s following the replacement parts op and then around 5 or 6 weeks in Wilfred Geere home at the top of Highfield Rd.

Following her return home she was appointed home help three times a day which she made no secret of the fact she didn’t want. She’d be up and dressed in time for the first one, already had lunch by the time the second one came and just turned round to the third one and told her, “If you think I’m getting ready for bed at 8.30 you’ve another think coming!”

I think this is free for 12 weeks or so as part of Bolton’s re-enablement programme to make sure she can cope. 

And that’s about it. She’s 84 with a decent widow’s pension from my dad on top of her her state pension. 

If you want to talk to someone about mobility allowance I suggest Ann and David Morris.

same position as my mum although she hasnt had to go to a rehab house, iam sure mr and mrs   morris would share there secrets. 😀

45 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

Does she have a social worker? Citizens advise? Age UK can help? 

she has carers but no social worker, iam awaiting a call from the financial advisor from age uk bolton to call me, could be upto 2 weeks though, will contact citizens advice thanks

• Members
1 hour ago, fester58 said:

she has carers but no social worker, iam awaiting a call from the financial advisor from age uk bolton to call me, could be upto 2 weeks though, will contact citizens advice thanks

Is it reablement going in or a private care company? Who arranged the carers to go in? Sorry million and one questions. 

My mam's situation was slightly different but occupational therapy or independent living or whatever they were called were helpful, provided bits of kit like commodes and hospital type bed for downstairs when she couldn't go upstairs.

Make sure you look after yourself through this especially if it's going to be long term, if you're not well physically or mentally then it's not good for her or you. It's  easier said than done because like you said you see it as she's your mam and it's your turn to look after her but it's really important not to lose sight of that. Take help, take respite, and I hope she gets back to normal as soon as possible.

• Site Supporter

Oh yes, they provided commodes, a frame over her toilet so she could get up and a Zimmer frame upstairs and down. I fitted a second banister rail up the stairs and a small handrail at the front door. 

They also put a key-safe up so the re-ablement folk could get in.

Here’s a tip; be there when they come and fix stuff. A front door handrail is a massive advert that an elderly person lives here. This is why we fitted it. They wanted it outside the door, we said fuck off.

she just been signed of from the nurses having had her staples out, bolton independent living are coming doing an assessment in a few weeks, iam waiting on age uk to call said it could take 2 weeks.

bolton council have been superb through all this, we had a careers assessment before she came home, we ve had key safes fitted a smaller zimmer and a seat round the bog, god help when i go on.

just find it bizarre than somebody whos worked all there life and paid into the system,cant get a pip because shes over pensionable age, i will discuss that with my local mp.

cheers for all the advice, everything just takes time to speak to or get anything