Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wheater

Burndens Bogs

Apparently he regrets leaving us for Oldham, because they were in a bigger mess than we were at the time with players not being paid etc. He said a deal was on the table with us, but at that time we hadn’t been taken over. He goes on to say that if he’d signed the deal with us he could still be here now - errr doubt it Dave,thanks for the memories an’ all that, but  we’ve moved on.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I liked him a lot, but he left & we moved on. I think he might have suited Keith Hill but he'd never have fitted 'the Evatl way'.

I liked him too, decent player, good character and scored a few.

I wouldn't have had Baptiste down as an Evatt type really, but in the 2nd half of the season (after a poor first half) he became an integral part.  Its not impossible that Wheater could have had the same impact, and we might have gone up sooner with him being a fairly regular scorer below the championship, even in his dire time at Oldham he scored 4 goals.

Edited by Johnnyrotten

5 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I liked him a lot, but he left & we moved on. I think he might have suited Keith Hill but he'd never have fitted 'the Evatl way'.

Only 200 games in 10 years. Seen some call him a 'legend' but bollocks to that.

Left twice. Once because he thought he could get Prem but ended up training on his own in a park. Tried to get on board at Salford too.

Fuck him. One of the biggest chancers we've had.

16 minutes ago, SirNatsDog said:

Such a contrast. He took a wage cut to help the club out then turned ring leader in the down tools fiasco. Really respected him once but then lost all that respect at the end. Hope you get fixed up Wheats but not back here.

He didn't take a wage cut. He waived his win bonuses as a gesture, but given we hardly won at the time it's not like he was going round town shaking buckets to help the club survive. Still took home his basic salary without a penny deduction.

40 minutes ago, SirNatsDog said:

Such a contrast. He took a wage cut to help the club out then turned ring leader in the down tools fiasco. Really respected him once but then lost all that respect at the end. Hope you get fixed up Wheats but not back here.

He didn’t actually say he wanted to come back here, he just said he wishes he’d never left. The thing is, we’ve moved on & he’s got older, he wants to find a club nearer to where he’s from, at his age he’s probably thinking Darlo/Hartlepool or maybe even Harrogate. I kinda wish him all the best based on his best times with us, but he certainly didn’t cover himself in glory towards the end.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Apparently he regrets leaving us for Oldham, because they were in a bigger mess than we were at the time with players not being paid etc. He said a deal was on the table with us, but at that time we hadn’t been taken over. He goes on to say that if he’d signed the deal with us he could still be here now - errr doubt it Dave,thanks for the memories an’ all that, but  we’ve moved on.

Who offered the deal then? 

Am sure had he signed a new one he'd have been off like the rest of them when we were turning out v Coventry etc

• Members

We’ve got to start looking forward and not back

Unless Rob Holding fancies playing for us again there’s no former wanderer out there who would make us a better team, no room for sentiment

• Site Supporter
37 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Unless Rob Holding fancies playing for us again there’s no former wanderer out there who would make us a better team, no room for sentiment

Johnny Byrom ?

2 hours ago, Zico said:

Who offered the deal then? 

Am sure had he signed a new one he'd have been off like the rest of them when we were turning out v Coventry etc

Dunno, he just said the club offered him a deal pre takeover. This was what he said in a recent radio interview with BBC radio Manc.

Always thought he was decent for us , scored plenty the season we got promoted under Parkinson.

Some decent memories. I’m not mithered that he was the ‘strike ‘ leader he wasn’t the real villain was he?
We have moved on though .Don’t think he will get much of a deal anywhere now given his age & cv.

11 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

We have moved on though .Don’t think he will get much of a deal anywhere now given his age & cv.

Exactly. Like someone said earlier, he’s only played about 20 games a season over the last 10 years, this number of games per season will more than likely decrease at 34 years old. I reckon he’ll be lucky to get a gig in league football now.

8 hours ago, Rudy said:

Whilst not disagreeing with the sentiment, over & above Holding

Cahill, whatever his age. Alonso, Rodorigo, Basham, Ramsdale, Mooy ?

• Members
8 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Whilst not disagreeing with the sentiment, over & above Holding

Cahill, whatever his age. Alonso, Rodorigo, Basham, Ramsdale, Mooy ?

Ok so realistic former wanderers 

Rodrigo was never our player, basham a defender in one of the worst PL teams of all time no thanks, 

Ramsdale and Mooy never played a first team game

My point is why do we insist on looking for players because they used To play for us.