Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wheater

Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Ok so realistic former wanderers 

Rodrigo was never our player, basham a defender in one of the worst PL teams of all time no thanks, 

Ramsdale and Mooy never played a first team game

My point is why do we insist on looking for players because they used To play for us. 

Same when we’re looking for new managers. Plenty were calling for Kevin Nolan to be given a call. After all, the previous ex-player to be given the big job was Owen Coyle and that was a great success!

• Members
1 minute ago, MickyD said:

Same when we’re looking for new managers. Plenty were calling for Kevin Nolan to be given a call. After all, the previous ex-player to be given the big job was Owen Coyle and that was a great success!

Sammy Lee was a proverbial bollock dropped 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Good Knee said:

You never lose it.

Strange that. I used to be able to leap over the fence on the corner outside Balmoral. Take it from me, in your head you can still do what you could do 40-50 years ago. 

18 hours ago, Rudy said:

Ok so realistic former wanderers 

Rodrigo was never our player, basham a defender in one of the worst PL teams of all time no thanks, 

Ramsdale and Mooy never played a first team game

My point is why do we insist on looking for players because they used To play for us. 

Agree with your general point about ex players etc, but that's a bit harsh on Basham!

Sheff U were poor last season but they've had 2 or 3 fantastic years before that and Basham has been a huge part of that, always looks like one of their better players to me.

Coincidentally another ex BW (loan) player is there, Kean Bryan, and yeah he's not Prem standard in a million years but I'd happily have him back for league one.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

.... but I'd happily have (them) back for league one.

This being the point. They don't have to be God's gift. We were letting good players go a decade ago because they weren't Premiership standard at that time.

As a side point, but while we're here, I looked up Thibaud Verlinen just because I could. When he returned to Stoke, hardly miles above us at the time, he pkayed only occasionally, then got an ACL injury. Once repaired he was rarely picked & went home, joining Fortuna Sittard. He's played only 5 times for them. He's 22 on Friday.

Sittard's ground holds 12,500, so hardly giants.

I'm not suggesting signing him but just remember how good he seemed at our level.