Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Spazzy Ankles

gonzo

Any of you nonces got spazzed ankles like me?

I smashed one to pieces ten years ago and sprained the other fucker about 6-7 years ago. Since then I’ve always had gip with them, which is to be expected. Pain when it’s cold and damp etc.

Problem is now I keep rolling them. Got to the stage now I’m rolling either one every fucking day. Slightest divet or rock or summet and I’m down easier than Big E in the Windnes Vikings changing rooms. 

Rudy, can you strengthen ligaments?

Anyone recommend them gimpy sock things?

Should I book in for amputation and spend the rest of my days like lieutenant dan, wheeling round Blackpool town centre getting sucked off by or sucking off tramps?  

54 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Should I book in for amputation and spend the rest of my days like lieutenant dan, wheeling round Blackpool town centre getting sucked off by or sucking off tramps?  

You don't need an amputation to do that mate

Walking back from the social club after the Germany game my achilles tendon tweaked and although getting a little easier its still painful.

Just hope it heals better than my other ankle that I fractured a few years back when i fell over the seats at Reading. Had an op to repair but it still lets me know from time to time that it's not 100%.

• Members

Yeah you can strengthen them, I can send you some exercises if you want but if you’re working and not resting they won’t get better

i recommend KT tape strapping or beskey wrap around ankle supports 

Failing that stop wearing high heels 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Rudy said:

Yeah you can strengthen them, I can send you some exercises if you want but if you’re working and not resting they won’t get better

i recommend KT tape strapping or beskey wrap around ankle supports 

Failing that stop wearing high heels 

Physio put me on a wobble board many moons ago. Not sure how effective it was, but it was OK for a laugh.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

• Members
10 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Physio put me on a wobble board many moons ago. Not sure how effective it was, but it was OK for a laugh.

I’ve got an electronic one I B like using that with women 

3 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

What do you wear on your feet at work gonzo?

Crocs

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, ErnestTurnip said:

What do you wear on your feet at work gonzo?

If the answer to this question isn’t 8-hole ox-blood Doctor Martens then you deserve everything you get. Also, jeans must be rolled up above the top of the boot and two scarves must be worn; one from a belt-loop of the jeans and one around your wrist.

You and the other two readers of this forum may scoff but answer me this; when you dressed like this in the late 70s and very early 80s, did you have ankle issues? The answer will be no.

11 hours ago, gonzo said:

Any of you nonces got spazzed ankles like me?

I smashed one to pieces ten years ago and sprained the other fucker about 6-7 years ago. Since then I’ve always had gip with them, which is to be expected. Pain when it’s cold and damp etc.

Problem is now I keep rolling them. Got to the stage now I’m rolling either one every fucking day. Slightest divet or rock or summet and I’m down easier than Big E in the Windnes Vikings changing rooms. 

Rudy, can you strengthen ligaments?

Anyone recommend them gimpy sock things?

I'll tell you my story.

Smashed my ankle when 20 yrs old. Had the usual Royal Infirmary bodge job and got on with my life. 

Managed most things including footie, had to turn out with more strappings than a mummy.

Got into my forties and the bugger became misshapen and arthritic, I used to have the "crack" it every morning to get moving, eventually walking more than a mile became too much. Local hospital fitted me with a orthopaedic boot which had some success.

Eventually I had to chuck in working on building sites and became a driving instructor.

When I moved to Cambridge I was referred to Addenbrookes for my shoes and saw their trauma consultant, a bloke called Fred Robinson also known as "Fred the Foot".

He looked at my orthopaedic shoe with disdain and said "I can fix your ankle". We talked it through and I decided, as this was so critical, to go "private" and ask him to do the job himself.

Best five grand I ever spent, I can walk forever, climb ladders, and walk up roofs... although, as my ankle is "fused" in a set position I have to crab up and down roofs, but I see the funny side.

No limping anymore, no more making excuses, no having to take breaks after a mile, people who don't know my history wouldn't guess. I actually did ask Fred in the early consultations whether it would be better to have it amputated, just as you posted. He laughed and said "No I can fix it, I can't guarantee you will be able to go out running but you'll be able to go and play a round of golf at least".

This is the web site https://cambridgefootandankle.com/ I suggest you have a chat with him, he's good.

Good Luck

Cheers for all the info folks. Got some spazzy ankle support sock things. Updated my karrimoor hiking trainers and booked in with an osteopath dude.

Dont hold much hope, as like Rudy alluded to Ive got no recovery time. Doing 10-13k every day 6 days a week won’t help. 

Gonna have a bash at swimming rather than running when I get back on the diet train. 

• Members
2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Cheers for all the info folks. Got some spazzy ankle support sock things. Updated my karrimoor hiking trainers and booked in with an osteopath dude.

Dont hold much hope, as like Rudy alluded to Ive got no recovery time. Doing 10-13k every day 6 days a week won’t help. 

Gonna have a bash at swimming rather than running when I get back on the diet train. 

Get on the oramorph and send me some whilst you’re at it 

At physio last night for my fucked up achilles. Got me doing weighted heel raises now. Also got plantar fasciitis - so have to roll my feet around on a ball for that. Quite probably the most pain I've felt at physio yet. 2nd to having my quads murdered by him. Life is shit when you are injured.

Oh, also discovered by process of elimination, that working from home barefoot is causing most of the above. Now having to wear my trainers around the house. Makes sense. But hate wearing them.

Went through everything you all describe but it all ceased working when I was in my 50s and then it became a case of surgery, nails pins and chisels.

I bloody hated organising my life around a spazzed out ankle but I haven't had to do that for the past 12 years or so.

1 hour ago, Dimron said:

Went through everything you all describe but it all ceased working when I was in my 50s and then it became a case of surgery, nails pins and chisels.

I bloody hated organising my life around a spazzed out ankle but I haven't had to do that for the past 12 years or so.

Grim mate. I suffered a trimalleolar fracture 10 years ago. You’ll know, but others may not, that that is where you break all 3 bits of your ankle. In my case it was 5 fractures in total.

Got two big pins on the inside and a big long strap like thing running down the outside of my leg with 18 pins keeping it in place all down the bone.

I kind of get the feeling this is just the start :(

Ive only myself to blame for my other ankle. I badly sprained it 4 days before a stag go to Benidorm and instead of properly resting it I went on the last for 3 days. I roll that probably more than the broken one. 

I’ll be posting for Arthritis advice on here in a few years ha ha

10 hours ago, gonzo said:

Grim mate. I suffered a trimalleolar fracture 10 years ago. You’ll know, but others may not, that that is where you break all 3 bits of your ankle. In my case it was 5 fractures in total.

Got two big pins on the inside and a big long strap like thing running down the outside of my leg with 18 pins keeping it in place all down the bone.

I kind of get the feeling this is just the start :(

Ive only myself to blame for my other ankle. I badly sprained it 4 days before a stag go to Benidorm and instead of properly resting it I went on the last for 3 days. I roll that probably more than the broken one. 

I’ll be posting for Arthritis advice on here in a few years ha ha

When I did my ankle they didn't put any ironwork in, just cleaned it up and set it in place, physio was painful but I got some movement back but it became very unstable and used to go over too easily. Managed for 20 years or so then it started to go downhill.

In the end I saw Fred, he chiselled out the arthritic remains of the joint and put a packing piece in (bone nicked from my arse end). Stablised it all with a permanent nail that he tapped in with a mallet  from the bottom of my heel to 6 inched below my knee secured with some screws at the top. Couple of horizontal rods radiated from the bottom of the nail into my metatarsels for strength and the jobs a good un.

You should see his work on the x-rays... the joints are like pencil lines, I remarked that his dovetails must have been spot on in school woodwork lessons, he replied "I got the woodwork prize, best qualification for a job like mine".

Edited by Dimron

On 20/07/2021 at 18:22, Smiley said:

At physio last night for my fucked up achilles. Got me doing weighted heel raises now. Also got plantar fasciitis - so have to roll my feet around on a ball for that. Quite probably the most pain I've felt at physio yet. 2nd to having my quads murdered by him. Life is shit when you are injured.

Oh, also discovered by process of elimination, that working from home barefoot is causing most of the above. Now having to wear my trainers around the house. Makes sense. But hate wearing them.

I've had Plantar Fascitis twice and it's a bastard. Six month recovery the first time, relapse about 18 months later followed by a seven or eight month recovery most recently.

The medical bods don't seem to be able to agree on whether wearing shoes or going barefoot/minimal support is for the best. My takeaway from it is that the arch of the foot probably weakens due to wearing footwear causing the issue, at which time it needs the support. After recovery it's probably a good thing to slowly strengthen the arch by slowly building up the time spent walking around barefoot. Only my interpretation and of course I'm not a doctor.