Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Big Match Revisited Heads Up

dusan nikolic

On Saturday 10.30 on ITV 4 they are featuring Ipswich v Bolton from the 1979/80 season .

The programme will also start showing at 5.55 on ITV4 every week night , featuring the 1976/77 season before concentrating on 1980/81 in August.

Edited by dusan nikolic

1 hour ago, dusan nikolic said:

On Saturday 10.30 on ITV 4 they are featuring Ipswich v Bolton from the 1979/80 season .

The programme will also start showing at 5.55 on ITV4 every week night , featuring the 1976/77 season before concentrating on 1980/81 in August.

I attended that one v Ipswich on the last away game of the season, got beat 1-0 and completing a season without one win away.

The 2-2 draw at City from the same (relegation season) was on a few weeks ago. Came back from 0-2 down with a bit of Mike Carter trickery to set up a brave diving header from Whatmore. Then a last minute pen from Peter Reid after Ray Ransom hand ball.

Disappointingly the episodes seemed to miss out our decent first season back jumping from 1977/78 season to 79/80 when we finished bottom. 

I will tune in for this game I was also there 2 things I remember was a mob of Bolton clambering over the home fans seats led by a wild eyed long haired Bolton fan, first time I had seen Ivan, and camping in Swaffham on the way back home some kind fella let us camp in his orchard, must of took pity on us daft young lads from the North. Over 40 years ago. FFS. Mounts Kipper checking in as a guest. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, leigh white said:

I attended that one v Ipswich on the last away game of the season, got beat 1-0 and completing a season without one win away.

6 of us went in a Renault 12. Fucking long way when you can’t move and one lad had terminal wind.

Got to the ground and our driver, the oldest, led us down in front of the ground. We turned a corner and there were hundreds of them walking towards us. “Keep your ground,” he barked. “No runners!”

Fucking hell, we’re gonna die! But we needed the lift home.

The relief when those hundreds turned out to be Bolton. But none of us ran.

Stopped at a pub in Market Harborough and it kicked off with a local mob of Leicester City fans. That was fun. 

20 hours ago, dusan nikolic said:

Thanks for the tip. The Big Match is great nostalgia and memories.  Some of the actual football is ponderous and laboured, and if it was the main match the "highlights" didn't disguise how poor it was, showing non event corners, throw ins and the like.  I also loved the post match interviews, they just said it as it was, and if they weren't in the mood they mumbled short answers.  No media training in those days.  Another noticeable thing is the lack of away fans for many games, virtual silence when away goals were scored, and when the match finished there was no clapping of the crowd and hugs all round, a couple of handshakes and down the tunnel.  Very different days.

On 19/07/2021 at 18:23, dusan nikolic said:

If they do 80/81 our luck might be in .... Bolton 4 Newcastle 0 from August 1980 - Brian Kidd hat trick and the Geordie's walking off the Embankment en masse. Would love to see that again.

17 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

If they do 80/81 our luck might be in .... Bolton 4 Newcastle 0 from August 1980 - Brian Kidd hat trick and the Geordie's walking off the Embankment en masse. Would love to see that again.

I would love to see that again got a real soft spot for Kiddo really helped some of our youngsters develop while he was here was a proper role model and always put a shift in . He was a real winner and had a proper nasty streak which I also like 😐 I know I know I’ll get my coat but he didn’t come directly from the franchise . Just looked Everton ….

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, emus wig said:

I would love to see that again got a real soft spot for Kiddo really helped some of our youngsters develop while he was here was a proper role model and always put a shift in . He was a real winner and had a proper nasty streak which I also like 😐 I know I know I’ll get my coat but he didn’t come directly from the franchise . Just looked Everton ….

In those days we had a few quality ex dmbs. Dunne, Morgan, Gowling & Kidd. 

26 minutes ago, emus wig said:

It was only a season or two but he did well for us in a team that was going backwards. Looking at the old listings it appears that LWT did show Granada's footage of that game so we've every chance. Later in the same season there's the possibility of Bolton 1 West Ham 1 with an enormous away following. Screened by ITV. I bet they don't show the massive brawl in the Manny Road North terrace!

8 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

It was only a season or two but he did well for us in a team that was going backwards. Looking at the old listings it appears that LWT did show Granada's footage of that game so we've every chance. Later in the same season there's the possibility of Bolton 1 West Ham 1 with an enormous away following. Screened by ITV. I bet they don't show the massive brawl in the Manny Road North terrace!

Have a very faded memory of a Fa cup tie at Forest in 81 it finished 3-3 but we took the lead with a minute to go or summat let me that Swiss player calledRaymond’s  Ponte equalised . Think Kiddo played most of the second half on one leg after kicking their centre half . Needless to say they won the replay 1-0 at Burnden Trevor Francis scored he was rapid in those days . 

8 minutes ago, emus wig said:

Have a very faded memory of a Fa cup tie at Forest in 81 it finished 3-3 but we took the lead with a minute to go or summat let me that Swiss player calledRaymond’s  Ponte equalised . Think Kiddo played most of the second half on one leg after kicking their centre half . Needless to say they won the replay 1-0 at Burnden Trevor Francis scored he was rapid in those days . 

That replay at Burnden was filmed by ITV and I saw it on something website they had with news clips from various eras in the past. Needless to say I can't find it now. 0-0 after 90 ... but in extra time Jim McDonagh came charging out and got rounded in a one on one with Francis and he slid it in to the Embankment net. 20000 plus on that night. In the first game I think the often forgotten Dave Hoggan played a blinder and scored a couple.

16 minutes ago, emus wig said:

Think he scored the goal to make it 3-2 was a volley  my memory of this is very hazy . Was a really good forest team and we were massive underdogs we played well in the replay too . 

Got it! 

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/video/nottingham-forest-v-bolton-england-bolton-burnden-pk-play-news-footage/810172654?adppopup=true

2 hours ago, emus wig said:

Was an extremely strong wind blowing off the Trent. Goalies were taking goal kicks and the ball was blowing back towards them. 

Hoggan was top drawer when at his very best. Such a shame be didn't push on with us or anyone else. Made a good living from 5-a side in the USA.

14 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Thanks Paul, that's the first time I've seen any clips of either of those ties and to this day I regret not going to the replay, I had to go football training.  That crowd of 22,799 (approx 22k home fans) was 3 times our normal home crowd and we didn't know at the time we'd never see that many at Burnden again.

4 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Thanks Paul, that's the first time I've seen any clips of either of those ties and to this day I regret not going to the replay, I had to go football training.  That crowd of 22,799 (approx 22k home fans) was 3 times our normal home crowd and we didn't know at the time we'd never see that many at Burnden again.

Noticeable how it was home fans on the middle section of the Embankment. Didn't happen too often!

• 1 month later...

They've started the 1980/81 season on this now - Saturdays. Last week was the first Saturday of the season (our game away at Notts County, our first back in the second tier after relegation was not filmed). However the second Saturday (we'd drawn at home v Sheff Weds in midweek) was Newcastle at home and it was on ITV. I was therefore hoping that yesterday's episode would feature our fine 4-0 and Brian Kidd hat-trick. Instead they skipped through to September 6. 

I enjoyed watching the 1-0 defeat at Ipswich that prompted Dusan to start this thread back in July but for whatever reason they've now taken if offline along with four other episodes

https://www.itv.com/hub/the-big-match-revisited/1a6464

The only other BWFC stuff that's appeared in the interim has been the horrible 0-1 home defeat to Wolves on the last day of 76/7 and a 2-2 draw at Boothferry Park in the 70s - both already long on You Tube. 

The only other 80/81 game I know was filmed was Bolton 1 West Ham 1 in Spring 1981 so here's hoping for better look in terms of that footage emerging for us all to see. 

4 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

They've started the 1980/81 season on this now - Saturdays. Last week was the first Saturday of the season (our game away at Notts County, our first back in the second tier after relegation was not filmed). However the second Saturday (we'd drawn at home v Sheff Weds in midweek) was Newcastle at home and it was on ITV. I was therefore hoping that yesterday's episode would feature our fine 4-0 and Brian Kidd hat-trick. Instead they skipped through to September 6. 

I enjoyed watching the 1-0 defeat at Ipswich that prompted Dusan to start this thread back in July but for whatever reason they've now taken if offline along with four other episodes

https://www.itv.com/hub/the-big-match-revisited/1a6464

The only other BWFC stuff that's appeared in the interim has been the horrible 0-1 home defeat to Wolves on the last day of 76/7 and a 2-2 draw at Boothferry Park in the 70s - both already long on You Tube. 

The only other 80/81 game I know was filmed was Bolton 1 West Ham 1 in Spring 1981 so here's hoping for better look in terms of that footage emerging for us all to see. 

The was a discussion about the Bolton v Newcastle episode and the following weeks on a site the other day . According to this person they contacted Itv regarding why certain episodes are missed and weeks skipped etc . Apparently it's in regards to the quality of film and audio not being of sufficient quality to be used nowadays . Just our luck for the Newcastle one to fall in that category. Regarding the Ipswich match , I thought we were a tad unlucky not to get some result out of it.

24 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

The was a discussion about the Bolton v Newcastle episode and the following weeks on a site the other day . According to this person they contacted Itv regarding why certain episodes are missed and weeks skipped etc . Apparently it's in regards to the quality of film and audio not being of sufficient quality to be used nowadays . Just our luck for the Newcastle one to fall in that category. Regarding the Ipswich match , I thought we were a tad unlucky not to get some result out of it.

Well from the highlights we were all over them. Not what I expected given we never won a single game away all that season and Ipswich had that team season under Bobby Robson. 

It is just our luck. Let's hope that West Ham game pops up ... although we'll have a good few weeks to wait, probably some time in mid to late Autumn.

Edited by paulhanley

On 19/07/2021 at 20:33, Max Cherry said:

The 2-2 draw at City from the same (relegation season) was on a few weeks ago. Came back from 0-2 down with a bit of Mike Carter trickery to set up a brave diving header from Whatmore. Then a last minute pen from Peter Reid after Ray Ransom hand ball.

Disappointingly the episodes seemed to miss out our decent first season back jumping from 1977/78 season to 79/80 when we finished bottom. 

Was the first time I got a smack at a match. I was only a kid but some fat City bastard just turned around and hit me after the match. What a cunt!

Edited by Underpants