Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bad Albums from your good artists/bands

Rudy

The Clash’s Give em enough rope was a strange one it has a few decent tracks on it but maybe suffers from  being sandwiched between two classics the self titled first album and the one that came after London Calling . Maybe getting Sandy ‘ Don’t fear the reaper ‘ Pearlman to produce it was a mistake 😐

• Site Supporter

Metallica were all over the shop when they released Reload. They weren’t much better with St. Anger either.

WWays favourites Cannibal Corpse hit their low point with “The Wretched Spawn” (Frantic Disembowelment the only highlight).

Anything U2 have shat out of Bono’s pompous arse since 1999 has been Olympic standard dross

• Members
1 hour ago, Zico said:

Love Prince but there's some questionable one in his back catalogue, especially after he changed his name 

QOTSA - Like Clockwork, shite

Villains was worse. Mark ronson can get to fuck

36 minutes ago, Spider said:

Metallica were all over the shop when they released Reload. They weren’t much better with St. Anger either.

WWays favourites Cannibal Corpse hit their low point with “The Wretched Spawn” (Frantic Disembowelment the only highlight).

Anything U2 have shat out of Bono’s pompous arse since 1999 has been Olympic standard dross

Saw a interview with Lars Ulrich talking about st anger it was brilliant, hilarious, and quite sad really. 

U2 achtung baby and Joshua tree anything after that my chickens have shat out better

Edited by Rudy

11 hours ago, emus wig said:

The Clash’s Give em enough rope was a strange one it has a few decent tracks on it but maybe suffers from  being sandwiched between two classics the self titled first album and the one that came after London Calling . Maybe getting Sandy ‘ Don’t fear the reaper ‘ Pearlman to produce it was a mistake 😐

Imo The Clash only made 2 decent albums - the debut album “The Clash” and “London Calling” Like you said, there are one or two songs that are ok from other albums, but they are few and far between. They became too Americanised and tried to cover too many musical genres. They lost that raw energy that they had on their debut album.

• Members
50 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Imo The Clash only made 2 decent albums - the debut album “The Clash” and “London Calling” Like you said, there are one or two songs that are ok from other albums, but they are few and far between. They became too Americanised and tried to cover too many musical genres. They lost that raw energy that they had on their debut album.

Decent? Some high standards you have there BB 😂

I love combat rock FWIW

The first Clash album and London Calling are works of genius neither have a bad track on them IMO they have both stood the test of time and were ground breaking in their own way.I have a soft spot for Sandinista ! but I get it is a bit sprawling it being a triple . Combat rock is ok . After Mick left it wasn’t the Clash anymore and anything Big Audio Dynamite did was better than Cut the Crap.

Guest Nordkurve

KISS - Music from the Elder. No idea what the fuck they were trying with that one. Bought it anyway and all the Solo Albums they released which in general were equally shit.

Slayer - God Hates us All. Very poor compared to previous offerings.

18 hours ago, Spider said:

Kirks eye liner phase and Lars playing the kitchen pots and pans. Awful sound.

Watching some kind of monster, that album nearly finished them. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, emus wig said:

I really like youth and young manhood it went down hill from there .

for me the point I lost interest was track 4 on Only By The Night, after Use Somebody, they went toss

4 hours ago, Zico said:

for me the point I lost interest was track 4 on Only By The Night, after Use Somebody, they went toss

That is exactly the same spot for me too. 

You could hear them sobering up and coming off drugs mid album. 

Stadium rockers from there on in! 

• Moderators
Just now, stevieb said:

First album ace

Second one very good 

Third one, different direction, maybe trying something pixies esque but signs they wanted to do something more mainstream 

Because up to that point they were massive in the UK but relatively nobody in the US 

I remember tracks 1-3 of the 4th album being leaked and thinking "this is ace dirty rock" 

But then they did a massive U turn and key 103 and rock fm started playing them and it was never the same 

Don't blame them like

On 19/07/2021 at 21:10, Spider said:

I used to love U2 back in the early days, i saw them at Free Trade Hall M/Cr after they'd released their debut album "Boy", the venue was only half full, but i really enjoyed it.

I last saw them at Wembley in 1987 when they were promoting "The Joshua Tree" must have been 100,000 people there and i fuckin' hated it ,i've never listened to them since.

Oh and Bono's a knob.

I almost always prefer a bands early days, before they become pampered/ preening/ sold out/ dog shit.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Members
9 hours ago, stevieb said:

Best exotic marigold hotel by Arctic Monkeys. 

Absolute horseshit. Gave it one listen and haven't listened to them since. 

Apparently it's a grower but it's not for me. 

That is one fuckin bizarre album and such a strange direction to go, they’re famed For their great choruses and melodies, it had nothing 

What pissed me off more is radio 1, nme, and a load of other smoke blowers were banging on about it. I wish someone would come out and go yeah it’s not great

• Members
12 hours ago, stevieb said:

Aye as soon as they stopped the drugs and shaved is when I bailed out. I think On Call was the turning point to mainstream and they’re never going back

Edited by Rudy

On 20/07/2021 at 21:13, Zico said:

Given how good Appetite For Destruction and Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 were, there was no need for Guns n Roses to do Spaghetti Incident and Chinese Democracy

CD is decent - Better is a top song, right up with their best, sounds great live. Give it another whirl.

Dylan's religion period is a tough listen with only Slow Train Coming worth repeated listens. Couple of the mid 80s albums were wayward. But then, with such a catalogue, I'd rather the greatest artists did different things, you might not like everything but it's better to strive and change rather than release the same album over and over. Not everyone wants to be AC/DC.

• Members
3 hours ago, Nic1 said:

CD is decent - Better is a top song, right up with their best, sounds great live. Give it another whirl.

Dylan's religion period is a tough listen with only Slow Train Coming worth repeated listens. Couple of the mid 80s albums were wayward. But then, with such a catalogue, I'd rather the greatest artists did different things, you might not like everything but it's better to strive and change rather than release the same album over and over. Not everyone wants to be AC/DC.

I like when an artist has the bollocks to switch it up, I think Kasabian are great for that , first one is an indie classic, second one has some experimental sounds, 3rd is just an overall stellar album, from then on they’ve mixed with techno, trip hop, electronic and they have nailed it, I don’t have a bad album from them but all different 

On 19/07/2021 at 20:45, emus wig said:

On 20/07/2021 at 07:56, Burndens Bogs said:

I actually preferred Give 'Em Enough Rope to London Calling. It was an "edgy" album like their first which is my preferred sound from them. That said London Calling contained classic tracks like Clampdown, Train In Vain and Jimmy Jazz. It's a shame that they never included White Man In Hammersmith Palais and Pressure Drop on Give Em Enough Rope as they recorded them at the same time

Remember being gutted when I came home with Sandinista and played it for the first time. Took me years to appreciate it at all. Anything after that was utter shite imo. Combat Rock was awful but it's all opinions innit.

Glad that this video has resurfaced on YouTube. For years it kept being taken down by CBS for some reason iirc

The Clash - White Riot (Promo Footage) - YouTube

And the Mescaleros did a pretty good version as well

White Riot/Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros @ Roseland Ballroom 1999 - YouTube